Scrivener for tvOS

yosimiti
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:31 am Post

Imagine this: writing scrivener on your TV! Writing up Scrivenings on your 50" plasma/OLED/whatever. That would be something else, and would likely be a first for the tv app store. So far, I don't think there are any apps that cover this territory; and if Keith did that, it'd be really revolutionary. Anyone else agree/disagree? Speak your thoughts.

KB
Site Admin

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:34 am Post

This is a wind up, right?
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

yosimiti

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:07 pm Post

No, I don't mean to irritate. Just keeping things in perspective. And just passionate about the product, and would like to see in places where you wouldn't suspect it. Had I been a good programmer, I would have probably come to you with a few serious product designs by now. Alas, my days of programming ended in high school when I first learned Turing (yeah remember that?)

dn
dnaknitter
Platform: Win + iOS

Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:46 pm Post

I think we're all just giddy with excitement, waiting for the IOS app to drop. As soon as that happens we'll all be too busy writing to keep asking you for nutty things.

This goes for the Apple Watch app, too.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:41 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:Imagine this: - - Writing up Scrivenings on your 50" plasma/OLED/whatever.

You could just connect it via cable, as an external monitor and get that effect, provided you accept the lousy screen resolution on an ordinary TV. I sometimes use Scrivener together with my 27" Thunderbolt display, but compared to the razor sharp screen on my 13" MBP Retina, even the Thunderbolt looks as if I have forgotten to clean my glasses. I have connected the MBP to our 50" TV sometimes, for movies, and ... you have to sit enough far away not to be bothered by the lousy HD resolution.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

yosimiti

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:14 pm Post

Hence, the need for a tvOS app.

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:54 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:Hence, the need for a tvOS app.

An app can't increase the native resolution or dot pitch of a TV.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

de
derick

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:58 pm Post

I realize that this is probably a joke, but -- while I can't see writing on the TV, I could definitely see dragging cork board cards around with the remote....

rdale

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:13 pm Post

derick wrote:I realize that this is probably a joke, but -- while I can't see writing on the TV, I could definitely see dragging cork board cards around with the remote....

I tried that--hooking my MB Air to my plasma TV (1080p, so not the new 4k TVs...), and it was miserable. Even at native resolution, I couldn't fit more information on the TV than I could on my 13" non-retina laptop screen and maintain readability. I tried Scapple too, and it was just as bad.

Now, they do sell some excellent projectors these days that can display some impressive computer screen resolutions, and I'm sure they could double as a TV/movie screen, but unless the newer TVs are really that much better than my very nice (but admittedly old) one, it's really not viable. Even if you have really good eyes, the display can't give you anything even close to sharp, readable text.

And then there's the portability factor. If a 3 lb laptop is a pain to lug around, I don't think many people are going to want to tote a 50" OLED screen, cables, power strip, keyboard, etc... to their local coffee shop. I mean, except for a few die-hards who are happy lugging around Underwood typewriters. On the other hand, imagine the hipster envy when you have that giant screen balanced on the bar-height cafe table, your words LITERALLY writ large (like 2 feet tall!) while you sip on a flat white and nibble on your vegan paleo-diet-muffin.

lunk

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:27 pm Post

It gets reasonably sharp if you move back a bit, like 4-5 meters, or perhaps 6-7 meters. That would make it even better.
The alternative approach would be to shrink the cards on the card board, use a magnifying glass and position yourself 10 cm from the Retina display. :shock:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

rdale

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:50 pm Post

lunk wrote:It gets reasonably sharp if you move back a bit, like 4-5 meters, or perhaps 6-7 meters.

Not in my experience. The dot pitch is so bad that close up, it just looks terribly pixelated. Farther away, it looks blurry. If I make it big enough so that the pixelation appears to smooth out from a distance, then I'm looking at characters an inch to two inches tall, in which case, I can't fit very much on the screen.

Keep in mind that I'm not even spoiled by retina displays; I'm accustomed to (and happy with) the standard resolution of my older MB Air. By comparision, HD TV resolution is like stepping back to CRT monitors.

lunk

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:24 pm Post

rdale wrote:If I make it big enough so that the pixelation appears to smooth out from a distance, then I'm looking at characters an inch to two inches tall, in which case, I can't fit very much on the screen.

Oh, it was implicit that you wanted to fit more on the screen? :)

Having moved on to Retina displays, everything else looks blurry. It's like when you brought out the old VHS player, in comparison to Blueray.

yosimiti

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:17 pm Post

I'm still writing on a seven year MacBook Pro so all this is Greek to me.

What IS the difference between a 4k monitor and a 4k tv? What about Oled monitors vs Oled TVs? Which would be better to work with scrivener? Why are TVs great for watching TV but so horrible to write with? I know I could google all this but there many smart folk on this forum who might better answer the question allowing myself to divert my energies towards other avenues of thought...

Ki
Kinsey

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:58 pm Post

yosimiti wrote:there many smart folk on this forum who might better answer the question allowing myself to divert my energies towards other avenues of thought...

Personally I think you're missing a trick by not requesting development of Scrivener for the good old fashioned notebook and pen.

na
nadinbrzezinski

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:33 am Post

I do not know if this is a good memory or not...

But this is from my years in college. COCOA programing? You kid me right? I had one of the earliest notebooks, not kidding one from Radio Shack, and no it did not have an internal drive, but lordy ran on one of them new fangled 3.5 drives and had 514 K or RAM. The second drive ran the second 3.1 so you could save your documents. Now those were still rare since most ran in 5,1 floppies. Hey, we had moved from the 7 plus ok.

I saw this great product for you to use your TV as a monitor at one of the many little computer and things stores. So being the idiot I was, still feel foolish about this one, I got that. Now try to run oh Word Perfect 5.1 on a TV... my eye sight was much better and trust me, it was not a good experience. Yeah, the big ass TV looked nice until you tried to actually do any work with it. Damn the headache was something epic that I still remember it, and this was only after about half an hour. OLED resolution has gotten better, but not that much better. But, but, it was color. The Graphics card was capable, even if the onboard monitor was amber.

Keith... ignore these silly requests. And I doubt 4K will do the trick either.

I know you do not need to trust me on this one, but the rest should.

Nope, not even 1080 or 4K will get me to even try.

Oh and yes I did have one of the earliest Cannon, portable printers. That thing did oohh, ahhh, 4 ppm... and jammed often. But hey, it was... inkjet!!!! Kids these days do not know how good you got it. The old dot matrix (that was loud) printed at blazing speeds compared to that thing)

:D
The past if prologue...