RTF compile omitting some placeholders

Bl
Blue Ninja
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:26 am
Platform: Windows
Location: Connecticut, USA

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:37 am Post

Hello, I'm a new user playing with the Scrivener beta 1.8.9.1, and I think I've noticed an issue. I have a new project I created using the Short Story template. I added a few paragraphs, and then compiled to an RTF file.

The "First Page Header" file omitted the title, byline, and word counts. On the byline, it also omitted the word "by", not just the placeholder, which leads me to believe it's more than just not parsing the placeholders. Compiling to PDF works fine, however.

I'm happy to provide any additional details if needed.

Thanks!

User avatar
MimeticMouton
Posts: 8824
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: city of rain
Contact:

Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:20 pm Post

This sounds very odd, and I'm having a hard time visualising what's going on or why this wouldn't be working. Does the "First Page Header" document have a checkmark in the "Include" column in the compile Contents? Are you getting any text from this page in the compiled RTF? What program are you using to open the compiled document?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Bl
Blue Ninja
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:26 am
Platform: Windows
Location: Connecticut, USA

Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:56 pm Post

Thanks for your reply. I *am* getting the return address printed from that page, so the page is definitely being included. But it's odd that it doesn't say just " words", or "by " without the author name, so it's clearly not a simple substitution issue.

I opened the resulting RTF using LibreOffice - though that led me to wonder, maybe this is a LibreOffice issue? So, as I wrote this, I tried opening the doc in WordPad instead - and, to my great shame, it looks fine. Note to self: thoroughly test the parameters of issues before submitting them!

Having not dealt directly with RTF parsing in many a year, I'm not sure whether the issue is badly-formed RTF (unlikely, if nobody else is having this issue), or a bad RTF implementation in LibreOffice (more likely, I'd say).

So, I guess as it stands, I guess it's just a note to LibreOffice users that the RTF files may not display properly... I'll muck with things a bit and see if I can get more particular details, but it seems the issue is on the LO side, not Scrivener.

User avatar
MimeticMouton
Posts: 8824
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: city of rain
Contact:

Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:26 am Post

Thanks for the extra info! I'd tested in Word in OpenOffice but not LibreOffice. It is just as you say, and after further testing it appears the issue is something with the way the font is set, which is bizarre but easily fixed. If you select all the text in the First Page Header document in Scrivener and just set it again to Courier New, it will compile and display in LibreOffice just fine.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Bl
Blue Ninja
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:26 am
Platform: Windows
Location: Connecticut, USA

Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:33 pm Post

Also of interesting note is that if I switch the view in LibreOffice from Print Layout to Web Layout, everything shows up. This further suggests a LibreOffice issue, I suspect.

User avatar
MimeticMouton
Posts: 8824
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 am
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: city of rain
Contact:

Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:01 pm Post

Huh, very interesting.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)