1.8.9.1 Beta Released 15th Sept 2015 (CLOSED)

LAP
Platform: Windows

Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:28 am Post

Thanks for beta testing! Windows 1.9 is now available. Please update to the official release.

---------------
You can download the 1.8.9.1 BETA here: N/A

Changes Since Last Release Version

* Scrivener's file format has been updated. The .scriv file format has some minor changes, in preparation for syncing with the mobile version and for future updates. Upon opening projects, you will be asked to update them. You will not be able to open 1.9 projects in earlier versions of Scrivener. (Scrivener for Windows 1.9 is compatible with Mac 2.7.)
    * Scrivener's "project.scrivx" file (the file with the yellow Scrivener icon, used to open the project) now uses the project name rather than the generic "project".
    * The inspector icon tabs have been moved to the top of the inspector, making them more visible and easier to access.
    * It is now possible to expand or collapse multiple inspector comments and footnotes using the View > Outline commands or the Left/Right Arrow keys.
    * Tabs and carriage returns can now be used in compile replacements. Type Ctrl+Tab or Ctrl+Enter to enter the character into the replacement field.
    * When set to automatically check for updates, Scrivener will now do so immediately when the program is opened, without needing a project open.
    * Mac compiled footnote numbers are now preserved when working cross-platform.
    * Tooltips on Scrivener links now show the document's full binder path.
    * The Script Settings dialog has been enlarged and made resizable to better accommodate Windows 10.
    * Fixed a bug causing the document Templates folder assignment to switch to other items in the binder.
    * Fixed a bug that prevented Scrivener opening a project containing multiple .scrivx project files (as from a syncrhonisation glitch). Scrivener will open the project using the file that matches the project folder's name.
    * Fixed a bug whereby closing a collection could cause the editor to reload the binder selection rather than continue to display the item loaded from the collection. This also corrects a bug that caused multiple items loaded via a collection to revert to binder order in the editor when switching back to the binder.
    * Fixed a bug that added an additional suffix each time an item was duplicated with a unique title; the appended integer is now incremented in each duplication (title-1, title-2, title-3, etc.).
    * Fixed a bug that allowed tables to be inserted into inspector comments and footnotes, which could cause Scrivener to crash.
    * Fixed a bug that could potentially allow the auto-update to run while a project was saving.
    * Fixed a bug whereby newly created Scratch Pad notes sent to a project imported with their original title (e.g. "Untitled note") if the focus was not changed to another note and back before sending.
    * Fixed a bug that placed documents in their creation order rather than binder order when using the Documents > Move > To menu command.
    * Fixed a bug whereby items moved via the Move To command were placed at the top of the selected folder's contents rather than at the bottom, as is done when dragging and dropping onto the folder.
    * Fixed a bug causing compile replacements with an empty "With" field to be ignored and deleted from the settings.
    * Corrected the File > Export behaviour to keep document notes in RTF format when exporting the main text as FDX.
    * Fixed plain-text compile to add fifteen empty lines between sections separated with a "page break" separator (or "page break before").
    * Fixed a bug that caused some Mac-only auto-complete script settings to be lost if the settings were viewed on Windows.
    * Fixed a bug that threw an error when using "Save As Template" from a project created from the "blank" template.
    * Fixed a bug whereby auto-titling did not apply to documents with fewer than fifty characters or to documents titled "Untitled" (as might occur in a Mac-created template).
    * Fixed a bug causing inspector comments and footnotes to always open expanded when switching documents or reopening the project.
    * Fixed a bug preventing the View Collections shortcut from working when the main toolbar was hidden if the View > Collections menu had not previously been opened during the session.
    * Fixed a re-introduced bug whereby selecting certain fonts such as Bookman Old Style from the format bar applied an unexpected variant of the font (e.g. Demi Bold vs. Light when there is no "Normal" variant).
    * Corrected typos in translations.

Mad Girl Disease

Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:42 pm Post

Hey congratulations on this! It has been eagerly awaited. :-) Sounds like there's some nice stuff in this.

This leaves me confused:

* Scrivener's file format has been updated. The .scriv file format has some minor changes, in preparation for syncing with the mobile version and for future updates. Upon opening projects, you will be asked to update them. You will not be able to open 1.9 projects in earlier versions of Scrivener. (Scrivener for Windows 1.9 is compatible with Mac 2.7.)

It refers to version 1.9, but this is 1.8.9.1, so it's not clear if that applies to this beta... nor is it all that clear what it actually means wrt the betas. Does it mean that, for any given project, once it's been beta-edited, there's no going back?

What issues are there in installing betas alongside the current version?

I'd love to give it a go, but would like to better understand the risks and gotchas.

Is it ok if I ask approximately how long a beta period you currently envision? :wink:

Scrivener beta yay!
Lead me not into user error.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:12 pm Post

Does it mean that, for any given project, once it’s been beta-edited, there’s no going back?

The release will be 1.9 when it goes live, the current version is just a beta number, but these notes apply to the beta. In answer to the above, yes, the project format itself has been updated (the changes were fairly minor, nothing you’ll notice unless you go digging into XML files) and once you do that to a project, it won’t open in 1.8.6. The updates are mainly to add a more precise internal addressing system to aid in more reliable syncing with iOS and eventually Android.

If you’re just working on your projects yourself, this won’t be too big of a deal. It’s mainly important to be aware of if you collaborate or use multiple copies of Scrivener where not all of the machines can be upgraded.

Is it ok if I ask approximately how long a beta period you currently envision?

It may be very short if all goes well.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

garpu
Platform: Linux

Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:26 am Post

Oh cool. All seems to work OK with the little poking I did. I do like the larger inspector icons and their new placement.

Question: will the Linux version have project version parity with the windows one? (I ask mostly for testing, so I don't inadvertently hose a project.)
Slackware-current 64-bit, XFCE

Mad Girl Disease

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:55 pm Post

AmberV wrote:In answer to the above, yes, the project format itself has been updated (the changes were fairly minor, nothing you’ll notice unless you go digging into XML files) and once you do that to a project, it won’t open in 1.8.6.

Thanks for clarifying that. So then, some caution is in order.

Are there any issues having the beta and 1.8.6 installed at the same time?

Is it possible to actually run them at the same time?

Do they share common registry entries? (Oh to have a registry-free, truly portable version!)
Lead me not into user error.

si
simeva

Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:26 pm Post

Well, I installed the beta to check it out, put it in a ScrivenerBeta folder, and tested it on a copy project. But then I found that I couldn't get 1.8.6 to run again. So I uninstalled the beta, and found I had to re-install 1.8.6 from scratch. This then ran without my preferences and keyboard customisations - but fortunately I had them backed up.
No doubt I could have done this all more carefully. Proceed with caution.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:48 pm Post

I've not had any trouble running the beta and 1.8.6 side by side, but they do share many registry entries. Installing the beta will make it the default version for opening projects when you double-click a project file rather than explicitly opening through one of the versions, and uninstalling will mean re-installing 1.8.6.

To keep things cleanly separated, use the beta version on a different Windows account.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Ba
Barron1961

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:23 pm Post

Do I need to install this version of Scrivener or can I wait until it goes live. If I use Check for updates will it just update my current scrivener or will I have to install a whole new version 1.9 when it is ready?

Ra
Raúl Martín

Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:44 am Post

Hi. I have a question:
When will you incorporate "Revision Mode" in Windows version?

Thank you for your attention.

StaceyUK
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:34 pm Post

Can we please have an option to move the Inspector icons back to the bottom please?

For me, their current placement makes it more difficult for me to access. I find them to close to the editor window and clicking the wrong one. Thanks. This is a usability issue for me with my dexterity issues.

Why was the change made? The icons were fine in the footer bar and consistent with the rest of the UI. To me the UI now looks cluttered with all the small icons next to one another.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scrivener 1.9.7 / 2.8 /3.0.3/1.1.5 (1301)
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

JJ
JJSlote
Location: Unlogged bugs thru RC8:  t=61527 Char formats lost pasting to Chromium browsers;

Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:20 pm Post

I'm finding the Inspector icons easier to reach near the top shelf. But they might stand out better among the others if they were tabified, with soft or slashed edges. Just a thought.

Rgds -- Jerome

StaceyUK

Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:30 pm Post

JJSlote wrote:I'm finding the Inspector icons easier to reach near the top shelf. But they might stand out better among the others if they were tabified, with soft or slashed edges. Just a thought.

Rgds -- Jerome

Its also a placement issue for me though as outlined above. Just wondering if you are on a laptop or notebook? I use a desktop with a monitor so icons in the footer is actually better for me.
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

JJ
JJSlote
Location: Unlogged bugs thru RC8:  t=61527 Char formats lost pasting to Chromium browsers;

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:01 pm Post

Desktop user. I've always found the low, small icons more difficult to pinpoint, and actually don't use any of the ones that remain. This layout feels like an improvement.

Rgds -- Jerome

StaceyUK

Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:31 pm Post

JJSlote wrote:Desktop user. I've always found the low, small icons more difficult to pinpoint, and actually don't use any of the ones that remain. This layout feels like an improvement.

Rgds -- Jerome

That's why I am asking for the option for the icons at the bottom so those who prefer / need icons in the footer bar can have a comfortable workspace :)
Blessings, Stacey

System Specs

Windows 7
Scapple 1.0.0.0
Windows 2.9.0.26 Beta

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:38 pm Post

Barron1961 wrote:Do I need to install this version of Scrivener or can I wait until it goes live. If I use Check for updates will it just update my current scrivener or will I have to install a whole new version 1.9 when it is ready?

This version is just for those who wish to beta test and provide bug reports to aid development. If you're just giving Scrivener a try for the first time, you can install the current official release, 1.8.6, for a free 30-days-of-use trial. When 1.9 is available, you'll be able to upgrade 1.8.6 via the Check for Updates, or download the new 1.9 installer and install over your existing 1.8.6 version.

Raúl Martín wrote:When will you incorporate "Revision Mode" in Windows version?

Revision Mode will be part of the next major release, not 1.9.

StaceyUK, repositioning the inspector icons was part of a design decision (for both Mac and Windows) in cleaning up the interface to make the icons more accessible, obvious, and consistent. I'm sorry it isn't working out well for you. Would customising the format bar to remove or rearrange icons (or hiding the bar entirely) help?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)