BETA 1.7.0.1 Release Jan 31st 2014 (OLDEST)

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:55 am Post

Marta, could you attach a zipped copy of the entire ProjectNotes folder from the project? The text you posted looks correct, but possibly there's some corruption with one of the specific files.

Then, with the project closed, go ahead and just remove the entire ProjectNotes folder from the .scriv folder. Scrivener will recreate it when you next open and close the project, and you can see if that clean copy is then working properly. This of course will lose your current project notes, but it sounds like you didn't have any real ones, just the one you tried to add that didn't show up?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Marta
Platform: Windows

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:02 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Marta, could you attach a zipped copy of the entire ProjectNotes folder from the project? The text you posted looks correct, but possibly there's some corruption with one of the specific files.

Then, with the project closed, go ahead and just remove the entire ProjectNotes folder from the .scriv folder. Scrivener will recreate it when you next open and close the project, and you can see if that clean copy is then working properly. This of course will lose your current project notes, but it sounds like you didn't have any real ones, just the one you tried to add that didn't show up?

I have LOTS of notes in different sections, and added another note today today so I definitely would not want to lose them
I've attached the zip file
Attachments
ProjectNotes.zip
(518 Bytes) Downloaded 71 times
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0
http://www.spookyfilms.com

MimeticMouton

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:10 am Post

Thanks for the zip; we'll take a look.
Marta wrote:I have LOTS of notes in different sections, and added another note today today so I definitely would not want to lose them

Prior to this beta, there was only one *project* note area, so when you say different sections, do you mean you have different *document* notes? (In the inspector, the notes area will say either "Document Notes" or "Project Notes"; you can click the header to toggle between them.) Those are stored elsewhere (in the Docs folder) and won't be effected at all by removing the ProjectNotes folder.

If you do have project notes and they're showing up in Scrivener, I'd copy and paste them from the Project Notes area to a document in the project or to an external file, then close the project, remove the ProjectNotes folder, reopen the project, and paste the notes back into the project notes area. The Project Notes files will be recreated in this process while still saving all your text.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Marta

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:20 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Thanks for the zip; we'll take a look.
Marta wrote:I have LOTS of notes in different sections, and added another note today today so I definitely would not want to lose them

Prior to this beta, there was only one *project* note area, so when you say different sections, do you mean you have different *document* notes? (In the inspector, the notes area will say either "Document Notes" or "Project Notes"; you can click the header to toggle between them.) Those are stored elsewhere (in the Docs folder) and won't be effected at all by removing the ProjectNotes folder.

If you do have project notes and they're showing up in Scrivener, I'd copy and paste them from the Project Notes area to a document in the project or to an external file, then close the project, remove the ProjectNotes folder, reopen the project, and paste the notes back into the project notes area. The Project Notes files will be recreated in this process while still saving all your text.

:oops: You are right. I did mean DOCUMENT NOTES so I'll go ahead and delete the folder as instructed

PS
I deleted the folder, but still getting the identical error
However though the folder was replaced on restart, it is now empty Is it supposed to be since I do not have any project notes

PS 2
I just tried writing a couple of lines in PROJECT NOTES simply to see if I could get rid of that worrisome error message
It did put in the .rtf and the xml file in the ProjectNotes folder, and the rtf file did show the text I'd written, but I STILL got the error message
GRRR
Attachments
error 20714.jpg
error
error 20714.jpg (20.34 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0

MimeticMouton

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:03 pm Post

All right, now it's just getting mysterious. :? Thanks for trying that. Re: PS1, yes, in this case it would be normal normal not to have the files within the ProjectNotes folder until you created a project note. Once you add text to the General project note, even if you delete that later, the index.xml and Note-10.rtf files will remain in the ProjectNotes folder. Normally they're from project creation, but since you wiped the folder it took creating a note to generate the contents.

Just to be clear, this is only happening for the one project of yours, yes? Other older projects are loading fine?

Assuming it's just this one project, here's a new test: Make a copy of the project folder (when the project is closed) and give it a distinct name, then wipe the contents of the Files\Docs folder. Try opening that copy in Scrivener. If it gives you the same error, close it and then zip the project folder and attach it here (or send it to windows.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com if you'd rather, ATTN: Jennifer and with a link back to this thread if you don't mind). None of your writing or research files will be included--that was all in the Docs folder that got wiped (all your document notes were there too, as noted earlier)--so the project size should be small enough to send and won't contain any of your actual WIP. But this will let us take a look at the rest of the structural files in the project and run it through some tests to hopefully figure out what's causing this error.

If you wipe the Docs folder and then *don't* get the error when opening the project, there's no need to send it on, but let us know it happened, as it's another piece of the puzzle. Thanks!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Marta

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:54 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:All right, now it's just getting mysterious. :? Thanks for trying that. Re: PS1, yes, in this case it would be normal normal not to have the files within the ProjectNotes folder until you created a project note. Once you add text to the General project note, even if you delete that later, the index.xml and Note-10.rtf files will remain in the ProjectNotes folder. Normally they're from project creation, but since you wiped the folder it took creating a note to generate the contents.

Just to be clear, this is only happening for the one project of yours, yes? Other older projects are loading fine?

Assuming it's just this one project, here's a new test: Make a copy of the project folder (when the project is closed) and give it a distinct name, then wipe the contents of the Files\Docs folder. Try opening that copy in Scrivener. If it gives you the same error, close it and then zip the project folder and attach it here (or send it to windows.support AT literatureandlatte DOT com if you'd rather, ATTN: Jennifer and with a link back to this thread if you don't mind). None of your writing or research files will be included--that was all in the Docs folder that got wiped (all your document notes were there too, as noted earlier)--so the project size should be small enough to send and won't contain any of your actual WIP. But this will let us take a look at the rest of the structural files in the project and run it through some tests to hopefully figure out what's causing this error.

If you wipe the Docs folder and then *don't* get the error when opening the project, there's no need to send it on, but let us know it happened, as it's another piece of the puzzle. Thanks!

Hi Jennifer
To be certain. I opened every single one of my Scrivener projects. NONE gave me any error message, EXCEPT the one in question

I then copied and renamed the original project folder giving me trouble as ScrivenerErrorTest.

After wiping out all the files in the Docs folder, as instructed, I tried opening it.

SAME ERROR, but it did open

Once I closed it, the docs folder now had a file called "docs.checksum" with a "0" K size (zero) K.
I emailed you the renamed project as a zip file, along with the error message to the windows.support email you specified

To clarify, I've gotten that error message ONLY in the Beta, and from the beginning, BEFORE I tried adding my own icons to the project
(BTW love that feature--makes it so much easier to identify my many folders)

Thanks so much
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0

MimeticMouton

Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:37 am Post

Thanks for sending the project, Marta! I've just emailed a reply--you caught a little bug with the error reporting. :) It's not the project notes index.xml that's corrupted but the templateinfo.xml in the Settings folder; you can safely trash that file and the project will open without issue.

Next release will have more accurate error reports!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Marta

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:19 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Thanks for sending the project, Marta! I've just emailed a reply--you caught a little bug with the error reporting. :) It's not the project notes index.xml that's corrupted but the templateinfo.xml in the Settings folder; you can safely trash that file and the project will open without issue.

Next release will have more accurate error reports!

Hi Jennifer
I emailed you a detailed reply, (with additional questions) but wanted to thank you for the prompt solving of the issue
I deleted the corrupted file and the project opened correctly :D
Thanks!!!
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0

Marta

Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:42 am Post

the cursor seems to be misbehaving in the new beta

It gets stuck in an earlier line, not where where I actually am, which is disconcerting

PS. Opened up the project in the 1.6.10 Scrivener; cursor shows up in the correct place
Attachments
cursor.jpg
cursor.jpg (45.94 KiB) Viewed 1505 times
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0

MimeticMouton

Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:53 am Post

Marta wrote:the cursor seems to be misbehaving in the new beta

It gets stuck in an earlier line, not where where I actually am, which is disconcerting

Thanks, a few other users reported this also and we have it fixed for the next release. It happens when dragging and dropping in a text area.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Marta

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:12 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:
Marta wrote:the cursor seems to be misbehaving in the new beta

Thanks, a few other users reported this also and we have it fixed for the next release. It happens when dragging and dropping in a text area.

more info: I wasn't dragging/dropping or cutting/pasting.
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0

MimeticMouton

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:29 am Post

Marta wrote:more info: I wasn't dragging/dropping or cutting/pasting.

Touché. What were you doing just before it got stuck, and did it ever get un-stuck or did you have to reopen the project?
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Marta

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:10 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:
Marta wrote:more info: I wasn't dragging/dropping or cutting/pasting.

Touché. What were you doing just before it got stuck, and did it ever get un-stuck or did you have to reopen the project?

Don't remember but think I was just writing. Perhaps correcting a misspelling (?) but not sure
It never got unstuck so I had to reopen the project
Marta
Scrivener 1.9.7.0

Ne
Nerea

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:52 pm Post

I haven't seen on the updates the "deadline" feature on the manuscript objectives, when will this option will be available? Thank you!

MimeticMouton

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:42 pm Post

Nerea wrote:I haven't seen on the updates the "deadline" feature on the manuscript objectives, when will this option will be available? Thank you!

This was part of the later 2.x features on the Mac version and will be coming with the remaining Mac features in the next major upgrade. It won't be part of the 1.7 point update.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)