Default Preferences to Emulate Plain-Text

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:14 am Post

I'm not sure where you read that, but we still support Leopard and Tiger. :) The only version that requires Snow Leopard is the Mac App Store version, but that's only because the App Store can't be loaded onto older computers in the first place, and you need that to install and authenticate it.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

sh
shel
Platform: Linux

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:03 pm Post

Hi,

I've used Scrivener for several years but have just started in with markdown. My question is this: If I write in Markdown and then export as plain text, do I need to use the plain text .pref settings file created by AmberV? Or am I safe to use any font, etc. as I write?

Thanks! Love this forum, love Scrivener, starting to love markdown.

AmberV

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:43 pm Post

Scrivener in general is very much about the concept of not having to stare at the font you’re going to be printing in. For rich text users that can mean the compile process changes the way the text looks. For plain text users of any sort (Markdown, LaTeX, HTML, or just plain old text) that is even more true. Text does not store any font information. Everything in a text file is right in front of you. There are no hidden codes or complicated things that can be messed up—it’s one of the advantages of the format.

So, if you are compiling to a plain-text document, or using one of the MultiMarkdown conversions, most everything done in the text editor with regards to formatting will be discarded. It’s what you type in that matters, and thus more than ever the appearance of text in Scrivener is entirely up to you.
Ioa Petra'ka

sh
shel
Platform: Linux

Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:19 pm Post

Thanks AmberV. That's what I thought. Nice to know I can modify your excellent plain text prefs without mucking things up for markup.

br
brett

Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:29 pm Post

I just made this suggestion in another post on the forum but it occurred to me that it might be appropriate here. Given the recent upsurge in interest in plain text, Markdown, etc. (at least among nerds), maybe that preference file could be converted to an official Scrivener template that could appear among the choices offered (like Fiction, Non Fiction, Recipes et al) that appear when you open a new project in Scrivener?

AmberV

Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:59 pm Post

Well project templates do not change application settings, which is all these are. You could override the text editor settings aspect of them, with a project's custom text formatting settings, but we stay away from doing that in the official project templates to avoid confusion.

But on the matter of having some useful MMD templates, sure, we're planning on doing that for the next big release in fact.
Ioa Petra'ka

br
brett

Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:02 pm Post

Sweet! Yet another reason to anticipate the new version!

be
bertozzivill
Platform: Mac

Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:52 am Post

Using Scrivener 3.1.5 on MacOS Catalina, I downloaded these preferences and imported the styles (selecting "Replace Existing Styles") but I don't see any change. Does it matter that I'm still using the trial version of Scrivener? Anything else I could be doing wrong? Thanks.

AmberV

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:19 pm Post

Everything looks to be okay with the various settings file. It’d need a little more information on what it is you are doing to confirm that none of the settings make any changes to preferences/styles etc.
Ioa Petra'ka

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:27 pm Post

Does replacing existing styles in an existing project change the appearance of text, or do you have to use the "convert to default formatting" feature under Documents->Convert?
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

AmberV

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:38 pm Post

No it would not, one needs to confirm they want their existing text changed. It might be for the Draft folder a safe assumption, but in research particularly, it could be very destructive to change formatting without confirmation.
Ioa Petra'ka

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:44 pm Post

AmberV wrote:No it would not, one needs to confirm they want their existing text changed. It might be for the Draft folder a safe assumption, but in research particularly, it could be very destructive to change formatting without confirmation.

So you're saying that BERTOZZIVILL will need to select & convert (documents->convert->convert to default formatting) to make the new versions of their styles change the appearance of the text that was previously styled with a differently-formatted style of the same name?
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

AmberV

Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:53 pm Post

If they are gauging the effectiveness of the settings by looking at text in the editor, then yes, as described in this help file.
Ioa Petra'ka

be
bertozzivill
Platform: Mac

Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:14 pm Post

Hi both, thanks.

What I tried:
* Downloading the directory linked in AmberV's original post
* Within my project of interest, going to Format > Style > Import Styles and selecting the .scriv from your post, and agreeing to override all changes.
* Selecting all the documents in my Draft and running Documents > Convert > Text to Default Formatting.

My guess for why this did not work for me is that the bulk of the writing in this project does not have an associated style, so perhaps importing the stylesheet was not meaningful? I ultimately replicated the effect that I wanted by:

* In a single document, manually changing the tab, spacing, and font preferences to mirror the ones listed in the original post;
* Setting these preferences as default (as described in the help page AmberV just linked)
* Converting all documents in the draft to this default formatting
* Also manually unticking all the correction/capitalization boxes in Preferences > Corrections.

du
dukebarman
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:52 pm Post

AMBERV, thx for your setup. It would be great if this settings (pure markwown) we can find in editor by default and 1-click.

One question: is it possible to add code highlighting in editor or field with code at least like in another editor.
Attachments
iawriter.png
example of highlighting
iawriter.png (110.9 KiB) Viewed 4403 times