currently reading

Finished reading:

Final Truth, Mariah Stewart

The Memory Collector, Meg Gardiner

Shoot to Thrill, P. J. Tracy

Reading now:

Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Introduction for Teaching and Exegesis, Steven E. Runge

The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 1 The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition (100-600), Jaroslav Pelikan

Document Preparation for Classical Languages, David J. Perry

The Promised One: Seeing Jesus in Genesis, Nancy Guthrie, yet to be published. I am writing a review for the cover jacket.

Wolf Totem, by Jiang Rong
The Art of Learning, by Josh Waitzkin

I guess it would be strange if one’s experience of a book would be always the same (truism alarm!).

This time I loved it in a slightly different way than when I read it - like you - a couple of times in my twenties (I am 31 now); I definitely laughed a lot more this time! – I also hope you will love it again next time :wink:

My partner gave me Books v. Cigarettes, a little collection of essays by George Orwell, today (i.e. Saturday) as a St George’s Day gift, and I will start that now!

I’ve now moved to Anatomy of a Disappearance by Hisham Matar - it’s his second novel, and I can heartily recommend the first one, the Booker shortlisted In the Country of Men.

Just finished this week:

Undone and [Brookline] by Karin Slaughter

Currently reading:

Kingdom Come by Jim Hougan

A couple of weeks ago, I finished Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. An excellent debut fantasy novel, and a monster of one at that; it was the largest “first” novel of any author I’ve read, and a thoroughly enjoyable read.

I’ve recently picked up Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock again after first reading it about 10 or 15 years ago. Still an excellent story of a haunted wood. I’ve got the next book in the cycle, Lavondyss, on my to-read list.

Once I’m done there, I’ll probably go back to Jack Whyte’s excellent historical fiction series The Camulod Chronicles, which is an historically plausible origin story of the King Arthur legend, with it’s roots in the fall of the Roman empire. I highly recommend picking up The Skystone, which is the first book in the series.

The Three Hostages by John Buchan.

Bejeezuz!! Y,ve just taken me back 50 years :smiley:
I read:
The Thirty-Nine Steps (1915)
Greenmantle (1916)
Mr Standfast (1919)
The Three Hostages (1924)

But never got around to:
The Island of Sheep (1936)

But I will now! :smiley: I’ve just ordered the Omnibus Edition, all five of 'em in one book :wink:
I’m in your debt Sir.

Just finished Bill Bryson’s Notes From A Big Country, and I’m halfway through Tom Wolfe’s A Man in Full
Vic

Glad to be of assistance, Sir!

By the way, if you like the Hannay books, have you read Erskine Childers’ The Riddle of the Sands? Very much in the same tradition, in fact possibly the “first modern thriller”. And Erskine Childers’ own life story – a conversion from Empire Loyalist to militant Irish nationalist – is interesting too.

I’m reading Silk Parachute, the latest collection of nonfiction stories from John McPhee and something like his 28th book. Among nonfiction writers he is a recognized master, winner of a Pulitzer and many other honors, and he has a fan page on FaceBook. Now cresting 80, he remains highly readable and interesting on almost any subject.

These pieces are often quite personal; the title story is perhaps the best writing I’ve ever read on the venerable topic of mothers. His passion for geology shows in a piece on the chalk region of Britain, where one may grow champagne-quality grapes. Others are on sports, outdoor life, food; all topics McPhee has often tackled and always memorably. For accuracy, wit, and purity of style, he is well worth a look.

Just finished (re)reading Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, and for a 180-degree phase shift Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons. Both of which I highly recommend, if you want to come at Jane Eyre from two different directions, brilliant prequel and broad parody (with some healthy sprinkles of Wuthering Heights and Persuasion).

And because my wife says I ought to maybe sometime or other read a novel written in the present century that I haven’t already read, I’ve just started, under her direction, Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout to be followed The Corrections by that guy who didn’t like Oprah before he did like Oprah.

The time just flies.

Just started Paradise Lost this morning. This is my first time through it. Page one was easier then Beowulf but not what I would call “easy breakfast reading”.

Just down the road from where I’m writing, I believe. Thanks for the recommendation. I haven’t read any of his books; I have heard that he’s a great teacher.

Stay with it. Satan soon has one hell of a fall.

:laughing: :laughing:

Dave

Writing a Novel with Scrivener.

I know I am a stupid hick with no education, so forgive me for rhetorically asking the question:

Why the heck can’t I read this without pausing at the end of every line?!?!

I know the rules, but I have to read each line 14 times to get past the “kindergarten poem reading” rhythm and into the right meter.

• sigh *

Yet another example of the value of a college education.

Hey, no kidding, it’s a difficult poem for any reader.
Here’s an online study guide that may be of help.
paradiselost.org/
Good luck, J-Man. :slight_smile:

Young master Jaysen,
In the study guide’s overview, you’ll see reference to:

That’s the Odyssey. Mr Homer’s little piece. (nothing to do with Homer Simpson), and not the other crock of shite Od(d)yssey.
Fluff

Crap. I was getting all excited that I had a leg up on this, but now I realized that I am right back where I started from!