beta 2.2 and 2.3 starting very slow on XP

The earlier beta versions have started up reasonably fast on XP. However with the recent versions, using the same rather large project.scrivx file, it takes at least 1-2 minutes before I finally get the little box that asks if I want to try, etc. Have others experienced this? Is there a fix?

With my 7 year old notebook it takes 15-20 seconds to launch and get to the little box.

Yes, it has been slow on start up for me as well.

VERY fast start-up for me. I timed it at slightly less than 3 seconds
I’m on WINXP Home Edition Service Pack 3. I do however have lots of RAM as I use Photoshop and work on big images

xp - sp 3 - 1.6 ghz duo core - 2 gb ram…

adobe photoshop CS4: 0 min 30 sec
scrivener for windows 0.2.3: 2 min 45 sec

hmm.

Hmm indeed.

Just to put another side, in Windows 7 Beta 023 is quite a bit faster to start than it’s ever been.

About 2 seconds, actually, to get to the trial Trial window, and once you click that, it’s ready to go.

This is on a reasonably substantial project, also.

I’m wondering if the little startup box with the buttons ‘reset trial/enter license/try’ is trying to connect to a server and that might cause the delay (anti-virus perhaps). Once the program starts everything else works as it should as far I can tell. Before the addition of the ‘box’ (pre 0.2.2 betas i believe) it was starting in under 10 seconds. My project is about 35000 words.

The loading time on my machine hasn’t substantially changed between 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3:
30-40 seconds on a ca. 7 years old quite crappy laptop
Win XP SP3
Celeron 1.5 GHz
256 MB RAM (!)

Unless others experience slowness my guess is that this is a registry issue particular to my machine. I plan to move to Win7 and see if the issue remains. Thanks for the feedback!

tried it on another xp machine and worked fine… lightning fast on win7… must have been something strange in my old configuration… i.e. no bug

Great you found that, peter100 – am sure it’s a great help to the Scrivener team.

Best regards,
Clive