currently reading

commuting: Improv Wisdom:Don’t Prepare Just Show Up, Patricia Ryan Madson

bedside: Glimmer Train Press, various

bathroom: The Now Habit:A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play, Neil Fiore

Cool, let’s make a thread out of this :slight_smile:

Currently reading: All things Babylon 5; The Art of War (Sun Tzu); and Characters and Viewpoint (Elements of Fiction Writing) (Orson Scott Card).

And I read The Now Habit. An excellent book for writing in unstructured environments (In my case a thesis).

But I love this quote from the film “School for Scoundrels”: "How many of you have self-help books? Okay that’s your first problem. You can’t help yourself, because your self sucks! " I don’t think I’m reading another self-help book again. :stuck_out_tongue:

Currently reading anything that has absolutely nothing to do with my dissertation!!! :slight_smile:

Love the self-help quote!

The Gormenghast Trilogy, by Mervyn Peake.

1 Like

So does that work for you? Because I initially went the other route and it cost me a few months time.

Not too many people reading on this forum, huh :slight_smile:

How is the Gormenghast Trilogy working out for you, Amber? I bought it a while ago - I love the character names - but I have yet to read it.

Recently I seem to have been starting a lot of books but not finished them - too much late night coding trying to get 1.02 out, I guess. :slight_smile: Currently started but as yet unfinished:

Jacques the Fatalist - Diderot
Glass Books of the Dream Eaters - Dalquist
How Novels Work - John Mullan
Venus on the Half-Shell - Kilgore Trout (bought because I wanted to see what Jose Farmer did with a Vonnegut idea - so far, the writing is pretty dreadful, but then that was always the point of Kilgore Trout, I guess).

Best,
Keith

Charles Dickens’ Our Mutual Friend for the bed-book. Jim Harrison’s The Raw and the Cooked for the, er, loo.

Oh, I adore it; this is actually my third time through. I was only a child when I first read it, and Fuschia with all of her flaws was a big impact on me. Now that I am older, I cannot help but admire his ability to make even the most grotesque caricatures of humanity into into believable characters. I’ve always enjoyed the first two books much more than the third, which is a good tale in itself, but against the other two it feels a bit weak. From what I gather, he never finished the last one, and it really should be viewed as a work in progress. You could go altogether without reading it and still enjoy the first two for what they are.

1 Like

hi gudeveng reading
Back to God Country and Other Stories by James Oliver Curwood

Just finished reading:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson

The Old Limey , H. W. Crocker III

Currently reading:

Intervention Robin Cook

Flash Over Suzanne Chazin

Audiobook - Mars by Ben Bova (Loving this!)
Bedside - Spirit Gate by Kate Elliot (Still on the fence.)

just finished: Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larsson (really cool, the movies are nice too)
almost finished: Musicophilia.Tales Of Music And The Brain by Oliver Sacks (reads like a novel)
about to start reading: Il cimitero di Praga by Umberto Eco
(all in dutch)

Right now i’m reading:

The Cloud Corporation - Timothy Donnelly
Immediate Fiction - Jerry Cleaver
Beyonders - Brandon Mull

Timothy Donnelly’s poetry reminds me a lot of T.S. Elliot’s works.

I just started re-reading Franny and Zooey, and I love it, as always.

I used to love Franny and Zooey (I read it numerous times when I was in my twenties) but sadly couldn’t get into it as much when I went to re-read it a year or so ago. Hopefully it was a one-off and the next time I’ll love it again…

Just finished: Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
Just started: Dark Matter by Juli Zeh

Finished reading:

Final Truth, Mariah Stewart

The Memory Collector, Meg Gardiner

Shoot to Thrill, P. J. Tracy

Reading now:

Discourse Grammar of the Greek New Testament: A Practical Introduction for Teaching and Exegesis, Steven E. Runge

The Christian Tradition: A History of the Development of Doctrine, Vol. 1 The Emergence of the Catholic Tradition (100-600), Jaroslav Pelikan

Document Preparation for Classical Languages, David J. Perry

The Promised One: Seeing Jesus in Genesis, Nancy Guthrie, yet to be published. I am writing a review for the cover jacket.

Wolf Totem, by Jiang Rong
The Art of Learning, by Josh Waitzkin

I guess it would be strange if one’s experience of a book would be always the same (truism alarm!).

This time I loved it in a slightly different way than when I read it - like you - a couple of times in my twenties (I am 31 now); I definitely laughed a lot more this time! – I also hope you will love it again next time :wink:

My partner gave me Books v. Cigarettes, a little collection of essays by George Orwell, today (i.e. Saturday) as a St George’s Day gift, and I will start that now!

I’ve now moved to Anatomy of a Disappearance by Hisham Matar - it’s his second novel, and I can heartily recommend the first one, the Booker shortlisted In the Country of Men.

Just finished this week:

Undone and [Brookline] by Karin Slaughter

Currently reading:

Kingdom Come by Jim Hougan