Da Nu McBook Pro'sezes

Firewire briefly saw use, but even though it’s on many computers nowadays, it rarely ever gets used. It’s been ages since I’ve seen firewire devices at a Best Buy. And Apple invented neither the mouse nor the GUI.

Right. It’s a dock with an extra cord instead of a locking mechanism. It’s something more complicated than just plugging things into your MacBook, because now you need a new box and one more cord. It takes up more desk space and costs more money. I suppose if you move your computer around a lot and really hate plugging in three cables (power, monitor, network), then it’s nice. It’s just not something that excites me.

I’d meant to take out my statement of universal adoption being necessary. I’ll leave it there for posterity.

I for one really do hate plugging in:

power (left side)
video (right side)
USB (either/both)
firewire (right)
network (right)
speakers (left)

The newer macbook pros connect all on one side, but not the newer MB Airs. This alone had me considering getting a new MB Pro, just so I could bundle all of the wires together (damn the RF interference and 1/2 speed ahead!) and keep them from cluttering my desk quite so much as they do now. Of course, the price forced me to reconsider this ill-advised splurge while my old machine is still happily putting up with my abuse.

If I only had ONE cable to connect when I sat down to my desk, and the rest could be either at the edge, or even behind my desk, I would gladly upgrade sooner rather than later.

Prior to Apple pushing to make the mouse and GUI a universal standard these technologies were limited to the back offices of Xerox (the guys who actually did invent them). The Lisa and the first lines of Mac computers pushed them to the forefront.

As to firewire, this is still the de-facto standard for ultra high end IO interfaces. Think massively multi-channel audio and video capture and arrays. Your suggestion that “consumer” adoption is the metric for becoming an universal standard would mean that betamax, Hi-8, ADAT, and 2" tape were never standard in the audio-video industry.

And if that doesn’t convince you that Apple does push to make “universal standards” look at the iPod and iPhone. If the interface and method of operations were not pushed by apple then there would be no Android (with its app store), Google TV, etc.

But none of this really matters. If they provide that kind of dock mechanism to tame the setup/tear down of my laptop I will like it. And as to a locking docking station, the first feature that is disabled at the office are the locks (pliers do wonders).

Wock, I love you, man…and I donated to your wife’s charity run.

But please help save the English language.

Pro’s is NOT a plural, it’s a possessive. Even in Tennessee.

Moderators, would you please correct that title before I open my veins?

:cry:

I’ll accept that I simply don’t have the workflow that would necessitate or even make useful the docking station, while others do. Hopefully Apple doesn’t try to take away all the connectors and force the dock on everyone, if it even comes out.

Mr Druid,
In attempting to forestall Vic-k’s banishment from Scrivener, for ultra obscene utterances, due to his apoplectic state, consequent to your post, apropos Mr wock’s ([size=150]‘[/size]), I have agreed (albeit reluctantly), to act as his censor/interpreter/transcriber.

Vic,

That is a brilliant example of The New Macbook Prose.

Thank You’s Galore.

Droo

The English language was doomed to fail once AOLSpeek and texting overflowed into the spoken and written language. (I c dat u h8 dat. I h8 it as w3ll). As to opening your vein that sounds very “emo”. :slight_smile: Reminds me of the saying “I wish my yard was emo then it would cut itself.”

Thank you very much for donating Druid. It really meant a lot to my wife, myself, and our friend Steve. If you do open a vein it would not take long for you to expire because with such a big heart you would probably bleed out in seconds. :slight_smile:
(The donations discussed appear in this thread https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/a-noble-charity/11170/1)

You will have to excuse me for my constant butchering of the written and spoken language. I am from the deep south but there is hope. Let me list a few reasons why.

(1) My wife is only my wife and not my sister, aunt, or niece as well.
(2) My house does not have wheels attached to it or a hitch at the front end.
(3) My dogs are only dogs and not my dinner fetchers.
(4) I moved passed eating road kill in my teens.
(5) I can use more than a spork as an eating utensil.
(6) My truck is not taller than my house.
(7) I don’t play a banjo to unsuspecting tourists.
(8) I don’t own any camouflage or fluorescent orange underwear.
(9) I do not know the complete cast of WWE.
(10) I can count higher than 21 without having to drop my pants.

:slight_smile: So you see, for a southerner I have may great progress and my butchery of english is only moderate compared to say my neighbors. (laughing)

As to the adoption of technology.

(1) USB was invented by intel but was “dead” as far as adoption until the iMac “forced” adoption when they dropped the floppy drive and only allowed USB as the means of connecting devices.

(2) Fire 4/8 were adopted in areas of “pro” applications such as graphic design, audio & video editing, and photography (the markets where apple is the industry leader)

(3) The mouse was “dead” and shelved until Apple pushed it out as a new type of interface technology along with the GUI

(4) The touch screen cell phone was another example. Now look at the “standard” in most smart phone interfacing.

(5) Multi touch track pad (gestures)

(6) OpenCL

(7) “App Stores”

(8) iTunes (online music and media distribution)

(9) The newton giving birth to PDA giving birth to smart phones.

And many more.

Apple is very good at pushing out newer technologies that adopt much faster than their Windows counterparts because Apple market share is much smaller and the transition to a newer technology is much easier to implement to do compatibility. Once Apple does it many companies follow because their users see Apple users with these new “features” and they adopt it in order not to lose market share.

From an IT point of view, if Apple had a “box” that I could mount under an office desk that I could plug all of the needed connections into (ethernet, external monitor, projector, external devices, etc) and then run a single cable up onto the desktop where a user could walk into their cubicle and just plug a magnetic cable (no thumb screws to be cross threaded or ethernet tabs to break) and have all the available connections made in those few seconds, I would be elated.

I believe the idea is to move towards Pro laptops actually becoming a “desktop replacement” in many cases for those that need mobility. This would not replace desktop workstations but instead allow for many situations for users to adopt a new method of mobility. This would go with the Apple idea of “invading” the home very well. Have one device mounted under your home office desk, one mounted at your work office, and a Laptop to carry between the two locations and the convenience could influence many home users of Apple products to encourage their IT staff at work to adopt the technology at work for ease of support. IT people would love this because they could focus on actual support issues instead of having to spend time guiding people on what cables connect where, broken ethernet tabs (cable replacement) cross threaded connectors (thumb screws on DVI/VGA connectors) bent or broken pins, etc.

It would all depend on pricing, ease of use and installation, and of course reasonable application. Apple has done very well in the past at this and other times things haven’t caught on like expected (Apple TV, AFP, AppleTalk).

It would have to be a “wait and see” approach to truly know. I do feel though that LightPeak will replace USB and Firewire as the next stage in IO evolution like Serial, Parallel, SCSI, SATA, and PCI evolutions have done in the past. A Light Peak mag safe quick connection that is priced right I think could revolutionize the way connections to external devices are made.

Who knows, maybe it could even replace HDMI in the audio video market as well making a truly universal connection between household devices.

Jobs hated the Newton. Killing it was one of the first things he did once he was back in charge. Credit for smart portable devices goes to RIM (the Blackberry) and 3Com/USRobotics (Palm Pilot).

(Or else you can give Apple credit for the Newton, but then Xerox gets to keep the mouse and GUI.)

Katherine

If we zoom in the picture and go more in detail, we could recognize the people inside the PARC labs. For example, Alan Kay, Larry Tesler, Bruce Horns, Dan Ingalls and others, who were then hired by Apple and worked on the Macintosh. Or John Warnock and Charles Geschke, founders of Adobe.

It is true that most modern concepts where invented at the PARC, but it is also true that the people behind those inventions were also regular workers at Apple or Adobe. So, it is not correct to state, as read many times, that Apple stole the idea - they hired the people.

Paolo

[size=150]Arrgggghhhh!!! [/size]
What have you done? They’ve changed the thread title to “Prozes”? :question:

The use of “Pro’s” could be seen as correct: if “Pro” is short for “Professional”, then “Pro’s” is the correct contraction of “Professionals”. Further, use of apostrophes is generally accepted for abbreviations and acronyms when the absence of the apostrophe results in either an ambiguous or awkward word. e.g. “there were too many letter as” versus “there were too many letter a’s”.

Finally rules of grammar are more like guidelines. They are there to be broken, especially when their breach aids readability and comprehension.

“Prozes.” :angry:

I’m not sure that I agree that Pro’s is a contraction of Professionals.
Had the headline read “The New MacBook Pros” I would not have twitted our friend Wock.
Which he answered very mirthfully.
But I’m equally puzzled on why the headline became Prozes.
Unless a moderator is trying to mock this nattering twit.
And then again, we have the possibility of cinematic allusion:
youtube.com/watch?v=TKlub5vB9z8

Now that is a title! :slight_smile:

4 teh win!1!

[size=150]

[/size]

I just snorted… :blush: :laughing:

I think this is the first time that our rampant off-topicking has circled back around into the topic title itself, so that its wanton chaos is no longer restricted to within its own confines.

Also, Apple might have inspired others to use GUIs but (a) they didn’t invent it; and (b) I’m fairly sure Microsoft was pretty dominant at the time, and can put in a fairly solid claim for popularising it via Windows.

Don’t forget “the world’s first practical pocket computer” :wink:

I still have a working 5mx. Sad to see its software descendant, Symbian, abandoned last week by Nokia.

So yes they released this morning.

Sandy CPUs Thunderbolt (Lightpeak) and better Graphics card.

What is nice is the 15s and 17s are now QUAD core CPUs. (i7s)

Getting ready to buy a 15 here real shortly.

Only the highend 15’ and the 17’ got a better graphics card. The low-end 15’ GPU is worse than the 2010 series. It doesn’t matter ofcourse if you don’t use it.
I’m a bit disappointed the 13’ didn’t get the 1440x900 screen like the MBA, that would be very nice.