Found something in the Tutorial [BUGS FIXED]

I think I killed my tutorial. I was just near the beginning, where it said to drag step 3 to the header view (and I don’t know if that meant in the binder or up top, so I did it in the binder). Then I was reading it, and thought I’d put it back where it belonged, I mean with its level back at the same level as the other steps. Only somehow both steps 2 and 3 disappeared on me. I hit ctrl+z a few times, but it didn’t bring it back. I closed the tutorial without asking it to save, but those steps are still nowhere to be seen. :frowning:

Hi DukTape! I’m pretty sure that the parts that involve dragging into the header are not live yet. According to the tutorial instructions, if you think you’ve messed up your tutorial, go out of Scrivener and use Explorer to go to where you had scrivener create your tutorial file. Highlight and delete the tutorial folder. Then go back into Scrivener and restart the tutorial process to create new tutorial files. Then you can go right back to where you left off. Hope this helps!

This did not work for me. I see the gray bar, but nothing happens when I click on it. There is no percentage pop up either.

Working through the tutorial, I am at Step 3: Footer View.

When I switch to the pdf document, the footer with the page navigation appears at the top of the pdf document, not at the bottom of the window.

Thanks, AprilD! It worked. This is pretty interesting stuff.

Another random thing I’ve found in the tutorial is the fact that the footnotes and the annotations are not already there in Part 4: Text Tools. It just looks plainly like this:

Thanks, this one has already been reported and we are aware of the problem.

(Great user name). Good catch. This tutorial was adapted from the Mac 2.0 version which has abstracted the naming conventions a bit. Before, if you renamed “Draft” to “Bubbles” the interface would change to “Compile Bubbles” and “Include in Bubbles”, which was nice… but kind of a support problem. You can no longer say “Just click ‘Include in Draft’”. So small things like this slipped through the editing net.

Looks like that phrase should have been highlighted in orange. There will be a padlock icon on the far right side (and just the way you imagine it). At the moment, this feature doesn’t exist yet. As you note, the Key icon is for keywords—totally unrelated.

You aren’t do anything wrong. It looks like what happened was, at some point this tutorial project was exported as RTF files and then re-imported. That’s my guess anyway. This would explain why the keywords are gone, and this snapshot is missing.

Actually that was kind of the point of this exercise: to illuminate the fact that corkboards are not necessarily functions of containers, but anything in the binder at all can become a container (even images in the Research folder). The outliner/corkboard is blank on a normal file because it doesn’t have children yet, but it could have children.

Perhaps this steps should have the user create an index card, and see how it comes a child of Step 7? That might help.

Oi, yeah. That got totally mangled! :blush:

Actually both forms are correct; but you are right the single consonant is preferred. English!

Good catch.

As AprilD points out, you can always regenerate a new tutorial project by deleting the old one. But you are right the drag-to-header function has not been coded yet—it should be highlighted in orange to indicate that.

This feature has not been implemented yet; it should have been coloured orange. The above line introducing text scaling was highlighted, but not this one.

Hmm, more evidence that this tutorial version was exported and then re-imported.

Thanks everyone!

“Go to View > Corkboard > Show Pins. Each index card will now display a pin holding it in place that is the colour of the label associated with the document. Alternatively, you can select View > Show Label Color to mark the corner of an index card the with the colour of the label. You can also select Show Stamps via View > Corkboard, which places a diagonal stamp on the cards—this stamp shows the status associated with the document represented by the index card.”

The commands are wrong. “Show Pins” is actually “Show Label Pins” and “Show Label Color” doesn’t exist. “Show Stamps” is actually “Show Status Stamps”.

=) Just helpin’ out.

Thanks! Just saw this from another post, too.

Okay, so I’m in Part 3 Step 13, and down at the bottom this “Currently, the beta imports text only and not the images yet.” is in orange.

…does that mean it can’t import anything at all, or…? I don’t understand why it’s orange.

Oh, and another thing… “The Compile sheet will expand to show a whole raft of options.” “Range” sounds better than raft, I think.

Yeah, but “raft” is funner. :smiley:

I’m in step 8, Splits, and it says, “Alternatively, click on the left button in the right of the header view above (the square with the horizontal line through its middle):”.

No, your other left. :wink:

The left button in the right of my header view has a vertical line, and performs a vertical split.

Argh! I’ve been inverting sides for days on end now!

Thanks. :slight_smile:

What does it say when you hover over it? Mine has them reversed - if I hover the mouse over it, it says it’s a horizontal split.

Thanks everyone, I have augmented the Tutorial and incorporated all of the feedback on this post.

Haha! It says it’s a horizontal split, but it looks like a vertical split and acts like a vertical split.

Of course, if these picky little things are the worst things wrong with the product, WOW.

Hey - FYI on the tutorial Part 2, Step 8: Splits it says a couple times about the screen that is in focus is the one with a header that is “blue”. I think that only applies if the pc has the standard colour scheme in operation. I have a different colour scheme (you can select this on the control panel of the computer) so all my windows have a green header and therefore my screen in focus turns green. I run Windows XP. Cheers. :wink:

me again - another colour thing in the tutorial: Step 12 project search, the tutorial says the word binder will be highlighted in red, on my pc it’s highlighted in yellow. not sure if that’s the colour scheme or what. as before windows XP, pc is an HP Compaq top of the range dinosaur from about 5 years back :slight_smile:

I tried to find whether this has already been discussed but I could not find anything. I am using beta 021. In the tutorial there is a passage that says:

“Alternatively, if a Corner Mark is selected in the Options the corner of each index card will be the color of the label associated with it. You can also select Show Stamps via View > cork board, which places a diagonal stamp on the cards—this stamp shows the status associated with the document represented by the index card”

Neither of these seems to happen. Using the options to choose pin instead of lable works but not the other way around.

Worked it out. Apologies.