This probably doesn't count...

Co
CountZero

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:49 am Post

I know I am only a blogger but recently a producer from Download Squad invited me to blog for them on a weekly basis. My third post has just made it to Digg's front page, and guess what? I used Scrivener for all of my blogging since I discover it about a month ago from Merlin Mann!

ti
tim

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:46 am Post

Sure it counts! A writer writes. If you write, you're a writer. :D
Way to go!

Tim
In theory, there's no difference
between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Yogi Berra

ja
janra
Platform: Mac

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:08 pm Post

I consider the important thing to be that somebody else chose to publish your work. For pay or not makes little difference; the media it's published on makes no difference. If somebody who is not you publishes something of yours, it's published.

Inkling

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:24 pm Post

Congratulations! I think being invited to blog on such a popular blog is a big sign of your ability to write commercially. You should be proud!

On a second point - yay for ecto! I adore ecto ^^ Although I use Scrivener for class notes, thesis, and creative writing, ecto is my go-to for on the go blogging :)

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:08 pm Post

I was engaged in an interesting discussion last week, where this very topic came up. I have a problem with assigning any external quantifiers or conditions to the term. Are we really going to exclude all of the writers who existed prior to the concept of "publishing?" Besides, getting published is often horrifically simple (if you have no principles), and generally says next to nothing about the quality of the writings (if the publisher has no principles). And what of those living in parts of the world where the option of publishing is inordinately difficult due to poverty, or maybe even remoteness. Is the phrase, "Inuit Writer" an oxymoron?
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Inkling

Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:23 pm Post

To being a 'writer', you mean? Well, like any word it has a fluid meaning that depends very much on the experiences, learning and opinion of the one who reads it, no matter the intention of the owner of the pen (or keyboard) that transmitted the word into readable form ;)

As said earlier - if you write, you are a writer. WHAT you actually write then turns into a matter for debate, as some will assert that peer-reviewed mediums, which provide some sort of affirmation, and serve as something like a filter for those of us who do not have the time or inclination to read every blog/book out there.

Publishers and writers are often unprincipled, but an intelligent reader very quickly selects publishers (be it a journal, a multi-person blog, a magazine, or a review site) in whom the reader can trust. Whether that be trust to find good writers and material, or news and reviews that you can agree with or want, then...well..

Gaining the accolade of a popular, and thus normally well trusted, blogging organisation is a great achievement!

Co
CountZero

Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:34 am Post

Inkling wrote:On a second point - yay for ecto! I adore ecto ^^ Although I use Scrivener for class notes, thesis, and creative writing, ecto is my go-to for on the go blogging :)

The Mac version of ecto is all Adriaan's work. I only work on the Windows version :-)

ti
tim

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:38 am Post

AmberV wrote:I have a problem with assigning any external quantifiers or conditions to the term... Is the phrase, "Inuit Writer" an oxymoron?

I'm with you Amber. I don't think external recognition has much to do with being a writer. It's nice, of course. But it's not central to the definition. There are plenty of examples of writers who never got published until someone "discovered" them, sometimes even after they had died. Anne Frank comes to mind. There are probably thousands of other examples about which we'll never know. A writer is defined by writing. That doesn't mean he or she writes well or poorly or even makes sense. It just means writing is what they do. Like Buckminster Fuller's famous description of himself, writers are verbs — they are always becoming. I think it's great that CountZero (and others of us in this forum) have gotten some recognition, but that's not the heart of it.

Best to you,

Tim
In theory, there's no difference
between theory and practice.
In practice, there is.

Yogi Berra