Scrivener 2.0... It's here.

Hi
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I’m not very clued up on these things.

If I buy the upgrade does it replace the version already on my computer or do I need to transfer all my files across manually? I’m in the middle of Nanowrimo and don’t want to have to faff about with computer problems at the moment, so if it instals version 2.0 separately I’d be best leaving it till next month.

Thanks, Sandra

I finally located the email address I used when I purchased Scrivener a couple years ago. When I entered it onto the page used to screen registered users from the unwashed masses, I was granted access to the holy page to purchase 2.0 upgrade. All looked fine – the order form included the coupon for $20 discount.

However, once I updated the email address on the order form (address used for original purchase is no longer functional) and clicked checkout, the discount disappeared. Now, I am unable to clear the system to return to an order page that includes the discount.

Help please. I have sent an email to David as advised in your post, and suspect I’m in his queue, somewhere. I know things are crazy at your end, but I’d sure like to join the party…

Thanks.

The inhouse code name for the 2.0 build should have been

SEXY

Because it is beautiful!

Great Job Keith & evil robot company. You guys did a fantastic job!

LOVE IT. Everything went well. My files updated fine. I have one question:

How do I get my colours back?

I’m trying to recall–I think I had it set up in preferences, a certain tan colour for my background text, certain colours for full screen, whenever I created a new project. They seem to have vanished. Is there any way to retrieve them, because God forbid I should remember the settings…

(Of course I had the new scriv overwrite the old default template settings…was this where I had put my colour preferences? Ooops.)

It’s okay - I’m fiddling with it. But my God, I LOVE this. It’s beautiful. I’m off to watch the tutorials as there is SO MUCH NEW. Revision colours!! Keith, you have outdone all our expectations! Life is good. :-)))

I’m FURIOUS!

I paid my upgrade fee and this thing STILL doesn’t make espresso. It’s supposed to be Literature AND LATTE, damn it! What am I supposed to do with all this frothed milk now?

:slight_smile:

I took a leap of faith and paid for the upgrade without checking 2.0 out first. With Scriv 1.0 as a baseline I expect I’ll be happy with the choice to do it. I still haven’t had anywhere near enough time to do a thorough run through, but what I’ve seen so far looks good.

Yes, Preferences:Appearance is where you want to be. In the bottom section of that pane, there are colour options. In fact, so many colour options, there is now a column browser to flip through. Enjoy!

I’ll close on that point.

It’s beautiful, I love it - congratulations to Keith and the team. The new toolbar icons are elegant and in keeping with where OS X is and where’s it’s going. There are an enormous number of new features which make me feel I’m experiencing a completely new app rather than a simple incremental upgrade. I’m working on two books at the moment and look forward to seeing how Scrivener 2.0 enhances the writing process. I can already see obvious places where it will!

However, sorry guys - that application icon is the first thing to get replaced whenever I install Scrivener. It’s ugleeee!

But that’s beside the point: a brilliant, elegant, smart upgrade!

Mr/Ms drspk,
A word of caution in your shell like. If you attempt to replace the app icon, youll find that you have activated Scriveners self-destruct, mode. It achieves its aim by wiping your hard drive clean, before setting fire to your graphics board. Best live with the icon.
Do take care
Fluff

So how do I get rid of that stupid welcome now that I’ve purchased my upgrade. I’m no longer “trying it” I’ve married the damn thing.

Are you using the special NaNoWriMo preview version? If so, there was a slight problem in that the welcome screen does no de-activate after registration. Download the latest version (which fixes a lot of bugs anyway) from the main website and you should be okay.

Geesh! You guys who are bent on whining about the new icon need to cope. Is it such a big deal what the thing looks like? Shouldn’t you be more obsessed with your writing?

I for one never knew that an “S” existed in the old version of the icon. It wasn’t outlined at all, and it’s even debatable if that border between the yin and yang symbols indeed was an “S.” The new icon is almost exactly the same as the old, but just makes it apparent that an “S” is there for Scrivener.

So for the person who was talking for “all” of us, asking the rhetorical question if L&L thinks we’re that thick in not realizing or seeing that an “S” was there in the older version, shove it! Not every one’s perception is the same. And give some kudos to the artist’s originality people! This is art in motion. These guys worked damn hard for what they did. And the result’s in the putting (pudding?).

Lighten up on the small stuff. And if you don’t like it because you’re way OCD, then replace the damn thing and stop whining.

OUCH.

(I liked the old one, too. :frowning: But I will stop whining now and go massage my bleeding knuckles. Please put the yardstick away.)

Obsessed with one word at a time. It’s ALL small stuff; that’s all I for one can handle…

Hmmm. Does that new icon make me look fat?

I basically prefer the old one too … in fact when Keith first made the new one public, I said I would be changing it. Given my orientalist background and current status, the yin-yang had a great resonance, and that is masked by the S on the new one.

But when it comes down to it for me, an icon is there for a purpose, for making a selection of whatever kind … all that really matters to me is that it should be distinctive in relation to the others in whatever interface you are working in at that moment. So the new dock icon, it does that clearly so it stays … Toolbar icons, for me, the same … they are distinctive, I’m not going to get hung up about them.

But then it takes all types to make a world — thank heavens! However, I feel sort of sorry for those who find that a set of icons is a deal-breaker for them, irrespective of the function of the app. It’s not limited to Scrivener, of course; I know of people writing into forums for other apps taking that line.
Mark

Deal-breaker??? Are you mad? I would take Scrivener 2.0 in a heartbeat even if the icons were all utterly indecipherable.

I have no clue how to change them anyway, so I will live with the new one in perfect peace.

As it is, I’ll forget I had this conversation in about seven minutes, so it hardly matters anyhow.

Ah Shrumpkin, welcome. Soon I may be able to pass to you the role of suffer no fools, take no prisoners critical pertinacity and retire to the role of gray eminence. Droo

Droo,

Ha! Too funny. Mum, yeah. I hear ya. One word at a time indeed. In that regard, it IS all about the small stuff. I stand corrected.

As for the icon: Hmm…I like it any way they wish to make it. I still had no idea that the old one contained an S. Perhaps it’s time to take one of those vision tests with the dots? “Tell me, what do you see?”

Shrumpkin

Dots.

Hey, not to change the subject or anything, but loving the updated site speed! Very peppy and no errors so far.