Found something in the Tutorial [BUGS FIXED]

Going under “Help, Tutorial” and opening that document. Click on Part 1: Step 3.

Under the yellow bar, the text “Now try changing the percentage in the popup-button at the bottom, too (click on it and select a new percentage)—you will see that you can make the text bigger or smaller; useful for tired eyes.” should be highlighted orange.

Also, under Screenplay but before Notes, it says " Text > Scriptwriting > Script Mode - Screenplay again to de-select screenplay mode." where “Text” should be “Format.”

Am I posting this stuff in the right place? Hope so…

Thanks for the notes, nohika. For now, this is as good a place as any.

Found in the tutorial, 5e references dragging keywords from the keyword HUD, but when I open the HUD it has no keywords in it.

in 5b of the tutorial on the inspector it says that the options in General includes : include in compile, but it’s actually ‘include in draft’ on the general pane of the inspector.

I might just be misunderstanding this, but this caused me a momentary bit of confusion. In the Tutorial, under Part 1, Step 5: the Inspector, the fifth paragraph says:

Now, as I’ve said, I might just be misunderstanding the words, but when I think of ‘padlock’ I think of a lock with a loop and when I see the picture that is used on the icon, I think of a ‘key.’

goes back to going through the tutorial

Edit to say that now I see that the ‘key’ icon is the keywords and I see the camera icon for the snapshot, but I cannot see the padlock button. :slight_smile:

Hi. When I took a snapshot as directed in section 5f I could then see the snapshot I had just taken, but not the one which was supposed to be there from when the tutorial was written. Unless I’m doing something wrong which is entirely possible!

for clarity perhaps you should state to go to Step 7. Maybe staring at the screen has my brain numb but I had to read it twice.

:smiley:

also

It should tell us to go back to the folder because since there are no sub-documents in the outliner mode all we will see is a blank page.

I don’t know if I should post this here…I dont’ understand why the inspector doesn’t show anything but project references or project notes, it doesn’t show the index card, the other folders do. Is it because it has text? :confused:

none of the index cards in the tutorial has labels or status, but I was able to create my own and change it.

Found a rather confused sentence in Step 8 “(whatever that meansNo need”. I think there’s a parentheses and a sentence transition missing there.

Just lettin’ ya know. =)

Another typo in the same step " currently has the focus. You can tell which editor currently has the focus because when there is a split, he header bar of the focussed editor turns blue.". Focused is spelled wrong.

Page one of the tutorial: Beginnings has a bad sentence–

It currently reads "…so that it can be compiled when compile. " I would rephrase it to something like “…so that it can be compiled once you have finished.” Or something to that effect.

For an easier time finding this: it’s in the Binder section, in the second paragraph, three lines down.

I think I killed my tutorial. I was just near the beginning, where it said to drag step 3 to the header view (and I don’t know if that meant in the binder or up top, so I did it in the binder). Then I was reading it, and thought I’d put it back where it belonged, I mean with its level back at the same level as the other steps. Only somehow both steps 2 and 3 disappeared on me. I hit ctrl+z a few times, but it didn’t bring it back. I closed the tutorial without asking it to save, but those steps are still nowhere to be seen. :frowning:

Hi DukTape! I’m pretty sure that the parts that involve dragging into the header are not live yet. According to the tutorial instructions, if you think you’ve messed up your tutorial, go out of Scrivener and use Explorer to go to where you had scrivener create your tutorial file. Highlight and delete the tutorial folder. Then go back into Scrivener and restart the tutorial process to create new tutorial files. Then you can go right back to where you left off. Hope this helps!

This did not work for me. I see the gray bar, but nothing happens when I click on it. There is no percentage pop up either.

Working through the tutorial, I am at Step 3: Footer View.

When I switch to the pdf document, the footer with the page navigation appears at the top of the pdf document, not at the bottom of the window.

Thanks, AprilD! It worked. This is pretty interesting stuff.

Another random thing I’ve found in the tutorial is the fact that the footnotes and the annotations are not already there in Part 4: Text Tools. It just looks plainly like this:

Thanks, this one has already been reported and we are aware of the problem.

(Great user name). Good catch. This tutorial was adapted from the Mac 2.0 version which has abstracted the naming conventions a bit. Before, if you renamed “Draft” to “Bubbles” the interface would change to “Compile Bubbles” and “Include in Bubbles”, which was nice… but kind of a support problem. You can no longer say “Just click ‘Include in Draft’”. So small things like this slipped through the editing net.

Looks like that phrase should have been highlighted in orange. There will be a padlock icon on the far right side (and just the way you imagine it). At the moment, this feature doesn’t exist yet. As you note, the Key icon is for keywords—totally unrelated.

You aren’t do anything wrong. It looks like what happened was, at some point this tutorial project was exported as RTF files and then re-imported. That’s my guess anyway. This would explain why the keywords are gone, and this snapshot is missing.

Actually that was kind of the point of this exercise: to illuminate the fact that corkboards are not necessarily functions of containers, but anything in the binder at all can become a container (even images in the Research folder). The outliner/corkboard is blank on a normal file because it doesn’t have children yet, but it could have children.

Perhaps this steps should have the user create an index card, and see how it comes a child of Step 7? That might help.

Oi, yeah. That got totally mangled! :blush:

Actually both forms are correct; but you are right the single consonant is preferred. English!

Good catch.

As AprilD points out, you can always regenerate a new tutorial project by deleting the old one. But you are right the drag-to-header function has not been coded yet—it should be highlighted in orange to indicate that.

This feature has not been implemented yet; it should have been coloured orange. The above line introducing text scaling was highlighted, but not this one.

Hmm, more evidence that this tutorial version was exported and then re-imported.

Thanks everyone!

“Go to View > Corkboard > Show Pins. Each index card will now display a pin holding it in place that is the colour of the label associated with the document. Alternatively, you can select View > Show Label Color to mark the corner of an index card the with the colour of the label. You can also select Show Stamps via View > Corkboard, which places a diagonal stamp on the cards—this stamp shows the status associated with the document represented by the index card.”

The commands are wrong. “Show Pins” is actually “Show Label Pins” and “Show Label Color” doesn’t exist. “Show Stamps” is actually “Show Status Stamps”.

=) Just helpin’ out.

Thanks! Just saw this from another post, too.