Scrivener 2.0 - Coming Soon (No, Really)

wl
wlloydw

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:30 pm Post

If I start with the NANO 2010 trail now and convert the "1-style templates" will I be able to upgrade to the official 2.0 version later this month without a problem? Thanks.

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:50 pm Post

[quote="wlloydw"]If I start with the NANO 2010 trail now and convert the "1-style templates" will I be able to upgrade to the official 2.0 version later this month without a problem? Thanks.[/quote]

Yes, if you're just converting templates you have from 1.54 to be 2.0 compatible, you'll be able to use them all (the updated 2.0 versions) with the official release.

wl
wlloydw

Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:53 pm Post

Thanks very much.

za
zaramu
Platform: Mac

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:16 pm Post

Wow, Keith, I love your voice (on the scrivener tutorial video)! Can I marry it? (your voice, that is). :-)

cp
cp2006

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:31 pm Post

"Wow, Keith, I love your voice (on the scrivener tutorial video)! Can I marry it? (your voice, that is). :-)"

LOL. I quite enjoyed your voice too!

On another note, I can't wait until I can get 2.0! I'm excited about all the new stuff, and the new look. Well done!

KB
Site Admin

Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:49 pm Post

Aw, shucks - thanks! :) I had hell recording it - there's a whole sentence where I kept sinking into a bad impression of Ewan McGregor acting Obi Wan Kenobi and kept re-recording until I gave up - I have no idea why, given that I'm from the West Midlands, but hey. :)

cp2006 - Psst, there's a preview download available here: http://www.literatureandlatte.com/nanowrimo.html
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Packet

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:36 pm Post

[quote="wlloydw"]If I start with the NANO 2010 trail now and convert the "1-style templates" will I be able to upgrade to the official 2.0 version later this month without a problem? Thanks.[/quote]

Count me in as curious on this as well, in a more general sense. I could really use the ability to work on my .scriv files from both Mac /and/ PC, so I plan to switch from Scrivener 1.x to the Mac NaNo trial (in order to convert my files to the new format) in advance of the final 2.x release.

However, it's probably worth checking if there's any gotchas here before taking the plunge and updating all my files. I doubt there are -- Scrivener's been pretty rock solid for me, no matter what abuse I throw at it over the years -- but double-checking never hurt anyone.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:43 pm Post

The update process for files is going to be pretty safe. When 2.0 updates a project, it will, before doing anything create a duplicate back-up version in 1.x format and then proceed to update the new copy to 2.0 format. So even if you update a few projects and realise there was a bug that messed up your book, you shouldn't lose that date.

Do keep in mind though that once you start working in the 2.0 project it will no longer open in 1.x, so either update to play, or update with the intention of never looking back (but keeping your 1.x stuff for safety).
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Mi
Mikethebook

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:09 am Post

I guess I hadn't realised that 2.0 wouldn't update 1.x but install a completely separate application so I'm wondering if there is any reason to hang on to 1.x for projects in progress. 2.0 looks great by the way. Can't wait to find my way around it.

tm
tmanasa

Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:18 pm Post

Just installed the NaNoWriMo version last night. I haven't played with v2.0's features much, but its new GUI is much improved over 1.x.

Nice work!

Packet

Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:59 pm Post

[quote="AmberV"]Do keep in mind though that once you start working in the 2.0 project it will no longer open in 1.x, so either update to play, or update with the intention of never looking back (but keeping your 1.x stuff for safety).[/quote]

That's basically where I'm at (updating with the intention of never looking back). I just wanted to make certain that the 2.0 trial isn't going to leave any data around that mucks with the 2.0 real update. I would expect not, since Scrivener has traditionally been one of the most trouble-free apps I've ever used (and I say this as a developer myself), but still.

After all, you do sometimes run into issues like certain large nameless companies who go "oh, you have to remove the Test Drive Edition of our 2004 productivity suite /entirely/ before installing the real version of the suite." :P

(Also, sadness. With BBCode disabled, apparently quoting doesn't work on the forum at all.)

AmberV

Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:13 pm Post

I'm not sure what is up with the BBCode in parts of the forum. I did a quick check to see if there was anything obvious disabled... there must be somewhere, but I'm not fluent in phpBB. Once the fury quells, I'll have a proper look at it.

Anyway, yeah, none of that nonsense. Scrivener is and will remain a file-based program. Even if you delete Scrivener from your computer you'll always have your project files (granted in a slightly opaque form) around, and the moment you re-install they'll all come back to life. No booby-traps in the test-drive version!
Ioa Petra'ka

Sc
Scylax

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:11 am Post

Last night I downloaded the NaNo trial of version 2.0. Is it even legal to be in love with a software update? I've worked my way through the new elements of the tutorial (which is really helpful), and all the new features look like they'll be invaluable for NaNo. I was excited to get started before, but now it looks like it should be even better! I guess I should stop raving, but I really do want to thank you for all the hard work this has obviously taken, and, rather like Apple, for giving me what I wanted and what I didn't know I needed!

By the way, I know this should really be in another place, but I thought it might be confusing, and couldn't find a mention of it in the bug hunt forum, so apologies if it is there:

In step 22 of the tutorial there is a link to

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/video.php

that doesn't work. Sorry if, as I suspect, you already know!

AmberV

Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:24 am Post

That should be videos.php. I'll make sure Keith gets that for the next tutorial fix.
Ioa Petra'ka

Sc
Scylax

Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:30 am Post

Thanks!

I'm sorry to have mentioned it here, but I didn't really know where else to say it. Does a broken link count as a bug, anyway? Just as well you always stay on top of everything on these forums- I don't know how you manage it!