"Send to Scrivener"

How about a “send to Scrivener” extension for Firefox (and maybe Safari as well)? This would be really handy for incorporating websites into research, much easier than [ctrl-click]>Add…>Web Page, then copying & pasting the URL and the title. I’m imagining the dialog box that comes up as similar to the official del.icio.us extension for Firefox. There should be a space for the URL, a space for Title, a space for Synopsis (or Notes), and maybe even a space for keywords.

This is probably the one thing that has me waiting to buy a license.

(Sorry if this is a duplicate post. Even if it is though, I think it’s important enough to warrant saying a second time.)

Have you tried the Scrivener Services Menu (Services/Scrivener/“Append Selection to Current Text Document” & “Create new cliping from selection”)? Not quite what you’re looking for but effective nonetheless.

E

To be honest, I’m not a big fan of adding extensions to other programs. You can drag the URL from your browser to the binder, though. This doesn’t work in all browsers, but it does work in Camino, which I generally prefer to Firefox.
All the best,
Keith

I must say, whenever I think of using those services in Firefox they are greyed out. Infact I can safely say they’ve never ever been clickable :frowning:

Services are only available in Cocoa apps; this is The Great Failing of the services menu (you cannot rely on it being there, so you stop using it).

Actually that is somewhat of an exagerration; Carbon apps (such as Firefox) can be modified to be Services aware, as mentioned here:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/appservices/tasks/chapter_3_section_2.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000993-CH206-CJBGBHBJ
…but the firefox guys aren’t particularly interested in supporting platform-specific OS features.

Firefox 3.0 should be Cocoa, if and when it ever ships. Camino is Cocoa, but it must be awful – for some reason I keep removin git from my hard drive.

You know, I even use BonEcho, which is a Mac optimised version of Firefox, but it looks as though they have not enabled the Services menu. The problem with Camino, for me at least, is that it does not support extensions. I couldn’t live without Web Developer, Adblock, Aardvark, and that ultimate time waster, StumbleUpon.

Ah, no extensions, yes that would make me delete it alright :slight_smile:

I whole-heartedly agree, though I would add NoScript, FlashBlock TamperData, iDND, and ShowIP – I tend towards the paranoid when browsing.

Have you tried Zotero? I’m still trying to integrate that in my workflow.

Oh yes! NoScript, I forgot that one. Always have that on. I so disdain Flash that I just have *.swf set in my Adblock list. Another good one that I just recently came upon is R.I.P. You can add elements of a page to persistently remove. Useful for those sites that have space wasting columns, like many news sites. If all you want is the article, you can set up a RIP that will strip out all of the clutter. Since it uses the DOM instead of addresses like Adblock does, it is pretty reliable.

Oh, and for the really paranoid: Torbutton.

I have Firefox so shored up, whenever I use Safari or some other browser, the Internet feels like Las Vegas. I don’t know how people can stand it.

Do any of you know of a way to block ads selectively so that I can do the following:
Salon has a fairly reasonable policy of asking us to watch an advertisement in return for full access to the magazine.But I’ve started blocking Salon ads for a couple of reasons: they no longer give you access for a full day, and the ads themselves are increasingly divorced from the editorial content and often of the type that just bugs my ass. They actually had an ad for the Lincoln Navigator with the tag Line “My dream is to leave the world better than I found it.â€

Are the ads always flash animations? Most are these days, and if they are, you can use FlashBlock to requir a click before showing the flash movie. This should leave the continue button intact.

If the ads vary between flash and images, look at Greasemonkey or RIP as Amber mentioned. There a few other possibiities in the Web Annoyances plugin section:
addons.mozilla.org/search.php?c … fox&type=E
In your case, you will probably want to supplement URL-based ad blockers with page element (DOM)-based blockers, since you are visiting the same page layout with arbitrary ad content.
EDIT: just checked and AdBlockPlus has an element remover addition, so you can get the best of both worlds:
addons.mozilla.org/firefox/4364/

Safari actually has a very easy-to use page element removal tool called SurfRabbit. But who can stand using anything but firefox :slight_smile:

Ah, tor, the mere mention makes me miss my tinfoil hat days…

@eiron:

I’ve actually discovered a way to bypass that ad start page altogether at Salon.com. When you click on the “Continue to Salon.com” button after watching the ad, it sends you to a page where you get a cookie and then immediately forwards you to the homepage. By a well-timed screen capture, I was able to read the name of the page that button sends you to.

Instead of keeping salon.com in your bookmark list, just save a link to salon.com/news/cookie756.html. I get instant access this way, and have been for some months.

I’ve been wary of putting this tip out in the open in the fear that they would upgrade to a more secure method, but hopefully no one from Salon reads this forum. Or at least this post!

I’m rather partial to the AdBlock Plus extension. It’s highly configurable and can be accessed by keyboard, navigation menu or the Menu Bar.

Dondiego

I’ve tried your suggestion and unfortunately it doesn’t work for me; I just get sent to a 404 page. Nor Have I managed to do your screen capture trick. Are you sure this still works?

Guess I’m just going to have to RTFM with adblock plus.

Thanks to all.

E

Hmm. Nope, still works for me. Sorry…