Backup

My first novel I wrote in Word. I took backup every day by g-mailing the document to myself. Since ten minutes I am a “Scrivener” writer instead. But for some reason I cannot mail the document. It never gets highlighted as a potential attached file.

How do I then save my manuscript in case of a hard drive crash? Can I somehow use the “cloud”? I was happy with the g-mail solution, that is what I would prefer.

Thanks for any help!

/ JJ

Use File/Backup Project To and save your project as a zip file that you should be able to attach to your e-mail.

And welcome aboard!

In the file menu there is a “backup to” option; make sure the checkbox to zip the file is checked and it will make a backup file, zipped, with the date in the filename. That zip file is suitable for emailing to yourself.

.scriv files are actually packages, which to non-mac systems (like email) look like folders and thus don’t email well.

Thank you and thank you. And thank you for the welcoming!

/ JJ. :smiley:

I use Dropbox. getdropbox.com

Since I have three locations where I potentially write and only one of them is a mac location, one of the unintended advantages in using Dropbox is that my Scriv files are accessable on a windows computer. I didn’t know this when I created an account because I wanted to use Dropbox for backup reasons (which it does very well). So win all around.
Deb

I hope you have both read the sticky thread on using cloud resources such as DropBox with Scrivener files. If you edit any of the files of text (RTFD) individually using other software, e.g. on Windows, you are very likely to run into trouble with the project when you try to re-open it using Scrivener, as the “ui.xml” file — I think it is called — will no longer match their content.

I use DropBox and think it’s great, but at one point I lost some work through keeping the active project on DropBox so I could edit it on either of my machines, when network issues meant changes weren’t fully saved and the other machine overwrote the copy with an earlier version.

I think the only safe advice, as what we are writing in Scrivener is usually of great importance to us, is to only put zipped back-ups in DropBox or any of the equivalents, and only edit the contents of a Scrivener project using Scrivener itself. If you really do need to work on one or more of the individual files in other software, save them out as something entirely different elsewhere, then re-import them into the Scrivener project and sort out which one(s) you want to keep from within Scrivener.

Mark