Scribbler™ for iPhone -- Early Look

Sorry, I know people are curious about the new name, but I want to make sure I protect it better than “Scribbler” posting.php?mode=reply&f=15&t=5091#

Needless to say, the new name is unique, indicative, and (I think) pretty cool.

And even though the new website is registered, there won’t be anything there until the app is released. The “early look” site is the place to go for the latest news.

Just a quick update. I’m squashing some minor bugs and tweaking the UI a bit. I uncovered a fairly major bug which I have to work through as well. I’ve started working on the new website and the new documentation. I’m getting close to submitting to Apple. It really depends to a certain extent on when Apple will release the next version of the iPhone OS and when I can get the new site up and running.

I think the wait will be worth it.

Hi all,
Just a quick update on where things stand.
-The new website is almost done.
-The documentation is almost done.
-I’m still debugging and tweaking. This will continue until release.
-I am waiting for Apple to release the iPhone 3.1 OS SDK as official. I can’t debug on the actual iPhone until they do. This is currently the biggest bottleneck. There are things that can only be tested on the iPhone itself.
–What happens when you get a real phone call.
–What happens when it crashes on a real phone (hopefully it never will, but I still need to test it to make sure data isn’t lost.)
-Still need to submit the app to Apple for approval. (This is dependent on the device testing to be completed.)

It seems like a lot (and it is) but I think people who have been interested in an iPhone writing app, will be pleased.

Hi all,
Big news as you probably heard. Apple released iPhone OS 3.1 and the 3.1 development tools. “Scribbler” will require 3.1. I’m back to debugging and testing on my iPhone, and uncovering a few things which weren’t obvious on the iPhone development simulator.

Once these bugs are cleaned up, I’ll submit the app to the Apple app store for approval…

The website has undergone a cleanup/streamlining in preparation…

visualnewt.com/

I’m very much looking forward to Scribbler’s debut. Thanks for the updates.

Hi all,
First the bad news. It’s not out yet. Now the good news. I’ve launched the new site. Also, I should be submitting the app to Apple for approval within the next week or two. I just want to do a bit more testing/debugging.

visualnewt.com/

for more info.

Hope it’s worth the wait.

Hi Wizlord,

I recently bought an iPhone; the main reason being, so I can use your software. Don’t get a big head or anything though, OK? :wink: LOL.

I’ve also bought Scrivener a few days ago, so I can tell you I’m VERY much looking forward to seeing what your application can do, particularly if it ties into Scrivener as well I hope it will.

New site looks great, and the name you’ve chosen over Scribbler is good too - the logo looks much more professional also.

Out of curiousity, I have a quick question for you.

I’ve been playing with creating a number of templates in Scrivener the past few days. I assume you use it yourself as you’re here, but have you made your own changes to Scrivener and created your own templates to ensure a better “tie-in” with Auteureist?

Anxiously awaiting the release on the Appstore.

Thanks!

Hi,
Lol well thanks for the support. Don’t go out of your way JUST to get my app :wink: I’ll be happy if I sell 5 copies. I wrote the app because I wanted something and I wanted it to do what I wanted it to do. The fact that there is support for it here is much appreciated; it has egged me on when things got frustrating, and learning to code on the iPhone had its frustrating bits. It’s been a very long journey mostly because this was and still is a part/time project. I have a real job.

To answer your question. I’ve made some templates but they aren’t for integrating Auteureist to Scrivener. I wanted to make sure the integration worked “out of the box”. Auteureist can export in multi-markdown mode, which can be used by Scrivener for imports. That works nicely and is somewhat a standard. Auteureist has more than “Scribbler” promised. There is also a plain text export (for importing into other apps), support for copy/paste between apps (email, notes, etc), and currently support for wireless imports INTO Auteureist with an add-on app that runs on the desktop. So I pretty much give you everything but wireless exports (which will be there in the next major release.) So although “Scribbler” started out being Scrivener specific, if you go through the new website you’ll see that the app will support Scrivener and some other well known writing applications on the Mac.

Auteureist has a lot of things which I was working on, but not disclosing on here or on the preview site. Some nice surprises, I think. The full Auteureist™ manual/documentation set is available on the new site under “Documentation”. I suggest if you’re interested in the app, go through the docs and the app’s capabilities. Not only will you get a feel for what it can do, but you will see the limitations and requirements I spell out. And of course, you’ll be more familiar with how to use the app when it does come out.

I’m also having a contest. So if you’re a writer and interested in Auteureist, check out the Contest section of the site.

The site also has its own set of forums for discussions, and a way to submit feature requests, a dedicated Twitter account feed. There is a development blog I’m updating USING Auteureist™ itself! (One of the surprises.)

I’m trying to make Auteureist a writing site in addition to having it be the home site for the app.

I’ll be gradually phasing out of the Scrivener forums, and phasing into the Auteureist™ ones.

Again, thank you for buying the iPhone :wink: I and Apple appreciate it. Thank you (all) for your support on here, Twitter, and via emails. I hope you won’t be disappointed.

S Koren
VisualNewt Software
auteureist.com/

Ok, I’m beginning to use Auteureist to update the development blog at auteureist.posterous.com/. Have a look at one of the “secret” features I was working on as part of the app. There are also some new screenshots.

The development blog is the place to get the LATEST news about Auteureist now.

Also, if you’re on Twitter, follow twitter.com/Archimage

auteureist.com/

The App Formally Known as Scribbler (now Auteureist) has been submitted to Apple for approval. Expected turnaround is 8 to 30 days :wink:

The wait start anew.

Check out the website and development blog and Twitter for the latest info:

auteureist.com
twitter.com/Auteureist

Auteureist™ is now officially available in the Apple iPhone app store. More information is available at archimage-writing.posterous.com/

The wait is finally over.

I bought Auteureist immediately after reading this, did check your website daily for these news.

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with the download of the cover. ‘Download has been stopped’, it’s not possible to finish the download at the moment. I hope this will be only the problem for the next hours.

Looking forward to use the app!

Same problem here - not able to download… fix please? :slight_smile:

Same here.

Well, it seems it’s a problem shared with other developers, check the blog: auteureist.posterous.com/

I guess we will be able to download when the icon of the app is showing right, instead of the broken chain image :slight_smile:

They probably recruit just the best to run the App Store under prime working conditions, but the increasing amout of fart apps and political currectness to take care of might make things difficult at the moment.

I waded my way through the web equivalent to “press 1 to listen to elevator music, press 2 to be directed to another list of options…” and put in a support request to iTunes.

Apparently, my message is important to them and they’ll get to it when the lattes arrived. Or something.

Fingers crossed!

Excellent, Jot. And let me tell you, you don’t want to talk to a phone support person BEFORE the latte has arrived. So this is prolly all for the best for all of us.:slight_smile:

f.

Hello all,
I guess you all know that there is an issue with downloading the app from the App Store. I apologize to everyone on here who has tried and ran into it. If you’re not aware, I’ve been trying to resolve the problem with Apple (its something in how they set the app up on the store) but getting through to any real person seems to be nearly impossible.

I appreciate all who have attempted to purchase and as a result of the problem, have tried to contact or lodge a complaint or report with Apple. The more people Apple hears from, the more likely they will take notice.

Thanks again and you can see the latest status on auteureist.posterous.com

Are there any screenshots of the actual app anywhere? All I see on iTunes are pics of the preferences and one very informative one of the login screen.
On the site itself a free lite-version is mentioned, along with the info that it doesn’t exist, which is almost as helpful as the photo of the login screen.