Scrivener USB Pill now available

Had a nutty idea just now. Why not, in honor of past scriveners, have a ‘USB Quill’? Maybe a giant Ostrich feather or something? It could double as an old-fashioned writing instrument by removing the USB part and replacing it with a stylus…just a thought…

I’m going to take a wild guess and say that there are no bulk USB branding companies jamming flash circuits onto feathers. You truly never do know, though!

micro SD to an adapter and you may not need much customization…

Let me think about that.

So this is an opportunity to capture a new niche market!

Scrivener USB Pill? I want one.

I want one so I can throw my keys down, and all my writing mates will say, “Oooh, what’s that?”
I’ll remind them of all the times they’ve passed over my scriv-related blog posts because they’re still clinging to that mass-produced-like-locusts operating system, and finally they’ll convert to Mac, of course…
(Or just be really jealous. Ha!)

I so want that. I would have ordered a boxed version of Scrivener in the first place, but there wasn’t one yet (I just like a hard copy of anything, make me feel like I really have something). More than the pill itself, I would love to have the reference book. Or some sort of Owner’s Manual.

Hello Broken Thought,

It has taken us a while to offer Scrivener as a physical product. Apologies about that.

You can download the Scrivener ‘Reference Guide’ directly from here: literatureandlatte.com/support.html.

All the best,
David

I would so buy that pill.

Thanks for that link DMJ.

I understand it took awhile to deliver on a boxed version. I’m just glad that it finally happened. I was also wondering is there any plans to for a pill or CD version for Scrivener 2.0? I most likely won’t get one for the current version, though I would like to, because I already have purchased the download version.

If there is a Boxed version for 2.0 I would love to pick that up instead of a download.

Also, Is there a chance we might see Scrivener in stores now that there is a boxed version?

There will almost certainly be a CD version of 2.0, although I doubt it will be boxed so much as whatever eSellerate provide for their CD orders… It won’t be available in stores for a while, though, as that requires a distributor. We will most likely look into that at some point, but I’m not entirely sure a boxed version in stores will be worth it; I have heard a as many negatives about this route as positives…
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

I can see how having it in stores would not be worth the hassle. Thanks to DMJ and KB for your replies. Keep up the good work. I love your product.

Review in The Unofficial Apple Weblog

tuaw.com/2009/06/26/friday-f … scrivener/

Thanks for pointing that out. What a great review - it made our weekend.
All the best,
David

I really enjoy using the trial version, and want to purchase, but am keen to get the software on physical media as my new laptop is not connected to the internet. The USB Pill looks ideal, but my new laptop is a MacBook Air, and from the pictures I doubt it will fit in the USB port. If it does great, but could this be made clear? If not, providing the software on CD without any download needed would be very much appreciated!

Hi,

Thanks for wanting to buy. The USB is standard USB, so it will fit any USB port, but the pill is wide, probably wider than a MacBook Air, so you would probably have to elevate it a little to insert the USB. However, we do also have a CD option available, so you could choose that.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Is it not possible to get an extension USB lead which would allow you to connect the pill to an MBA USB port. I have one which came with a thumb drive here in China. They are very common, mostly because many Windows boxes put their USB ports in places which require you to go through contortions to insert or remove a device.

That said, having an MBP and an MBA, I have never had to use it, though I was given a card reader which would require its use, though I don’t use that either.

Mark

The USB is only needed to install the software, not run it so I am not sure what the concern might be other than the initial thickness. As Mark suggests, those USB extensions are the way to go. You should be able to get them from any office supply store (look for them near the mice and keyboards).

Keep in mind the download is “free” and the USB media is really only a backup method. A cool delivery device, but really not needed. I still want one. In a 2GB version. Actually an 8GB version would be nicer, but why push my luck.

Thought you might want to update/remove this text from the product page:

Shipping
Please note that Scrivener is download-only - we do not make any physical shipments. Likewise, payment confirmations and receipts are e-mail only.

Good point!

As goofie as this sounds I’m going to buy one of these as a Christmas present for my off to college daughter (hope she’s not reading these boards).

Sure I could just give her the money and write up a card with download instructions, but there is something about the physicality of the product…

Nice idea all.