A Simple Survey...

A simple survey into the oddities many of us share.

(1) So do you sleep on the drivers side (left side of the bed if you are standing at the foot) or the passenger side (right side)

(2) Toilet paper. Over or Under?

(3) Beer, liquor, or wine as your first preference?

(4) Do you throw your leg over the arm of a recliner or couch or pull you feet under you?

(5) Night owl or Morning person?

(6) Technically savvy or Technically challenged?

(7) Follow written directions better or hands on learning?

(8) Horror movies or romantic comedies?

(9) Is your better half older or younger?

(10) Are you a organized writer or do perform better with organized chaos?

My answers

1- Driver’s side
2- Over
3- Beer
4- Leg Over
5- Night Owl
6- Savvy?
7- Hands on
8- Neither :slight_smile: (sci fi)
9- Younger
10- Chaos

1- passenger side. It’s closest to the door, and therefore easier to get up & feed the cats in the morning.
2- Over.
3- Wine.
4- Legs under. When I was growing up, Mom would’ve yelled at me if I’d thrown a leg over the arm of any piece of furniture. We were too poor to replace anything, so I learned not to wreck anything.
5- Prefer mornings, but it’s difficult with a night owl spouse.
6- Fairly savvy.
7- Written directions.
8- Neither. Sci fi! :mrgreen:
9- Better? :wink: My other half is younger.
10- Organized.

1- passenger at home (closer to the door); elsewhere, whichever side has the bedside table for my glasses
2- under
3- none of the above
4- feet under
5- agnostic, just don’t wake me from a sound sleep when I’m not expecting it
6- savvy
7- whichever is more informative
8- neither - another SF vote :slight_smile:
9- n/a
10- organized, sort of

1: It used to be UK passenger (getting out on the left), but since I’ve been in China, my wife has moved over, 'cos that side’s nearer the loo, so now I’m a UK driver.
2: Bemused by people’s concern about this and couldn’t care less, but more likely to be over.
3: Wine now, beer or wine equally in earlier times, rather depending on the weather.
4: Both — and don’t get Vic-K going on leg-overs!
5: Both, but prefer the night on balance. (12:30 to 1 to bed; 5:15 alarm most days!)
6: Fairly savvy.
7: Whichever … start with hands on but happy to RTFM if I get stuck or if it’s a new area for me.
8: Neither really, but definitely not horror movies.
9: Younger.
10: Organised chaos! Apparently chaotic externally, but kept under control through organisation in mind! (I’m a Virgo!)

Mark

1. Neither. The bed’s too small, so I go diagonal.

2. Depends on the friction of the paper holder.

3. Wine. Period. But I’ll take the others for fun.

4. Whatever position, no matter how inglorious, is comfortable.

5. Night owl.

6. Do you have former co-workers call you up 5 years later for help?

7. Hands-on with manuals in easy reach.

8. Horror movies—don’t we have enough of that in the news? Romance is good; so are good chop-sockies and hair-on-end-good art films.

9. A trifle older.

10. Organisation - chaos - organisation.

Wock, I don’t suppose you’re in a lull, are you?

P.S. This was fun!

Dave

1. Left side
  2. Over
  3. Don’t drink
  4. Both (not at the same time)
  5. A little bit of both
  6. More savvy than not, but haven’t attained geekhood
  7. Hands on
  8. Romcoms or almost anything other than horror
  9. Younger
  10. ur, neither

(1) Being a single, I sleep in the middle. When I’m not alone, I can’t actually say I’m sleeping.
(2) Newspapers. Do they really have a right side?
(3) Beer in summer, wine at winter, liquor at noon.
(4) Poufs are my joy!
(5) Oh, night everyday, if I could.
(6) I don’t really love technology, but I can live with it.
(7) I follow written directions as far as I understand how absurd they are. They I go on experimenting.
(8) Romantic comedies only if she decides, horror movies only if I’m threatened by an enthusiast friend. Possibly, none of them.
(9) Younger. Both of them.
(10) My entropy degree is a scientific case.

(1) I sleep on a little mat on the floor. I’ve never much liked beds.

(2) Under.

(3) Wine, red. Specifically Pinot Noir, Shiraz, and Chianti—but really anything except a Reisling. Though, there are a few ales which can give me cause for alternation. Stone Brewery’s Oatmeal Stout comes to mind.

(4) Hmm, not much for lounge chairs either. Though I suppose, if I were to create a fantasy in which I plunged fatigued and wasted into a upholstered half-embrace, I would opt for whatever calamity my limbs found themselves to settle.

(5) I don’t sleep a whole lot, and when I wake up seems highly variable, judging by the light outside.

(6) ruby -e 'puts ["940216d6c20266f6270247865602d6f637470207162747c20247563686e6963616c6c6970237166767971202a392"].pack("h*")'

(7) Come again?

(8) There is no way I could choose between those two. I like them equally. Hmm. I suppose that is mildly disturbing, come to think of it.

(9) Error. Division by zero.

(10) Chaos in form; order in function. Or very much more likely the other way around.

Adverts up!

(1) No preference; I usually let my other half choose her side, or we take whichever side we happen to come to… I only have one ear, so often sleep lying with my left hand side down, so I can’t hear a thing when I sleep.

(2) Over.

(3) Beer, usually a pint of mild or Guinness. Brandy of a late evening, though.

(4) Over the arm on occasion, could never get my legs up underneath me and still be comfortable.

(5) Night owl, a throw back from years of late shifts on ambulances.

(6) Technically savvy.

(7) Bit of both, can’t understand instructions read aloud at all, but do very well hands on.

(8) Horror, every time.

(9) Much younger, which has advantages and disadvantages.

(10) Organised chaos. Chaotic disarray. With the odd fantasy of spring cleaning my desk. Meh.

1. Port side
  2. Over
  3. Wine
  4. Angle them out to occupy navigable floor space
  5. Morning uber-alles
  6. Technically savvy through roughly 1995
  7. Written
  8. Platform Independent.
  9. Older by a year
  10. Organized chaos

(1) Whichever side is closest to the window or away from the door (in case of monsters, who for some reason in my imagination would enter via the door; I’d rather they go through someone else first).

(2) Over, but this is a new thing. I used to like the 9 created by under. But over is more convenient. Thus does age favour pragmatism over aesthetics. Or something.

(3) That would indeed be my first preference, thank you. Should I expect a crate?

(4) My legs are stupidly long so they stick out no matter where I put them. Feet up or legs crossed under. (There is an inverse relationship between good laptop positions and good posture, unfortunately.)

(5) Night owl. Hate mornings, although children and determination means I at least see mornings these days. Ever since reaching an age where I didn’t have a set bed time (i.e. for many years) it has seemed that it would be a betrayal of my younger self to go to bed early, no matter how much bad TV or drunken internet rants that means.

(6) Favourite joke: “There are only 10 types of programmer. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.” i.e. Technically geeky.

(7) Clearly everybody should follow the instructions, read the manual and watch or follow any tutorials provided by their friendly neighbourhood developer.

(8) Segmentation fault. Reboot. (One and a half minutes to reboot.)

(9) Better? I don’t understand.

(10) Wait, I have a desk here somewhere, let me see.

1. What’s a computer?

1. Passenger, though I’ve been known to roam.
  2. TP over, naturally. It spins better that way.
  3. Oatmeal stout, then Tripel Belgian.
  4. Neither, just stretch back and relax, with feet out straight.
  5. Owl or lark? A bit of both. With siestas in between.
  6. Savvy, mostly. Once in a while, I screw up.
  7. Hands on at first, then I read the manual.
  8. Romantic comedies. Horror gives me bad dreams.
  9. Younger, and she’s far wiser than I.
  10. Organized, but then inspiration takes over.

Wock is going to use this stuff in a survey, I’m sure.
That’s why his avatar is a Skinner-box pigeon.

1.- Driver
2.- Under. Used to have cats. Now I don’t but their habits still rule me.
3.- Beer, but I never say no to a nice glass of sipping Tequila.
4.- Over
5.- Prefer nights, but some mornings can be crazy productive… for a little while.
6.- Savvy
7.- Written
8.- SciFi
9.- Younger
10.- Borderline organized chaos

(1) Driver’s (UK)

(2) Over

(3) Beer

(4) Under

(5) Both

(6) Technically savvy

(7) Either will suffice.

(8) Horror movies

(9) Younger

(10) Organized :wink:

Amber,

You surprise me. Not only you prefer red to white wine, but you also include a rather hard one like Chianti. I was sure girls only drunk white, and red was reserved to us men to show how strong we were…

Paolo

Clever! So you can still read the news after use!

I also prefer dark-to-black beers, the oatmeal stout I mentioned could probably double as asphalt in a pinch. And I like my chocolate that way too. I think I just like richer experiences when it comes to the palette. With white wines, it is probably mainly a result of exposure. My earlier experiences with white wine were all horrifically cheap, bulk wines that were no doubt being dispensed purely to engage my disengagement from certain articles of clothing.

So I switched to red.