Mori?

Hu
Hugh
Platform: Mac

Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:54 am Post

bashosfrog wrote:I pine for Zoot, my sole regret about leaving the Windows platform in 2002.

There go quite a few of us.
bashosfrog wrote:And why hasn't anyone had a go at redesigning Ecco Pro for the 21st Century?

I think they have: http://sites.google.com/site/infoqube/Home
AmberV wrote:The current developer of Mori seems to take a tidal interest in the software.

Super metaphor - I may steal it... :wink:
'Listen, some quiet night, when you've shirked your work that day. Do you hear
that distant, almost inaudible clicking sound? That's one of your
competitors, working away in the night in
Paris or London or Erie, PA.'

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:08 am Post

Hugh wrote:AmberV wrote:
The current developer of Mori seems to take a tidal interest in the software.

Super metaphor - I may steal it...

A bit like the regulars at the Red Lion, though they`re not as proficient at ebbing as they are at flowing. :shock:
Take care
vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Ah
Ahab

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:12 am Post

vic-k wrote:
Hugh wrote:AmberV wrote:
The current developer of Mori seems to take a tidal interest in the software.

Super metaphor - I may steal it...

A bit like the regulars at the Red Lion, though they`re not as proficient at ebbing as they are at flowing. :shock:
Take care
vic

It is a super metaphor, but as tides relentlessly revisit the shoreline twice a day, "tidal" doesn't quite seem to describe Mori's new developer.

vic-k
Platform: Mac + Windows
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:02 pm Post

Ahab wrote:It is a super metaphor, but as tides relentlessly revisit the shoreline twice a day, "tidal" doesn't quite seem to describe Mori's new developer.
Obviously, not a regular at The Red!!
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Ve
Vermonter17032

Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:48 pm Post

Zoot is a marvelous piece of software, which I continue to use daily at my place of work. I've used it now for 10 years and have found nothing else like it for capturing, archiving and retrieving information.

{sigh}

But back to Mori. Thanks for the further input. I think I'll hold off buying a copy at this point -- I've already invested in too many similar programs. I suspect what I should do is buckle down and just force myself to use DTP until it becomes comfortable. That's got to happen at some point, eh? I mean, if I can learn to use and love Zoot, I should be able to get the hang of any of these applications.

Thanks, again, everyone!

AndreasE

Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:01 pm Post

Interesting thread. I took a look on every application mentioned here (even BOSWELL :roll: ), but it seems to me that everything I could do with them I do already with Journler. Journler might have been intended to be a journal-keeping software, but I use it as a "throw-all-in-and-muddle-around-with-it"-application. It's way of organizing items, to link anything to anything and it's possibilities to search across all entries are amazing and really helpful.

DevonThink, however, is another category. Archive. Heavy-duty. I use it for fishing and hunting in my archive folders where I am collecting websites, PDFs and other material from the web and elsewhere since a dozen years ago, but then I copy and paste relevant material elsewhere - into Scrivener, into Journler, to a place where I will work with it. I don't write in DevonThink (mostly because my Mac always almost breaks to his knees once I start it up; it is clearly the most demanding application I own).

I think AmberV is right: Every application is either to the side of being an archive (=dusty shelves in a cold cavern) or a workspace (=neat desk, paper available, fountain pen freshly filled).

Ve
Vermonter17032

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:21 pm Post

AndreasE wrote:I think AmberV is right: Every application is either to the side of being an archive (=dusty shelves in a cold cavern) or a workspace (=neat desk, paper available, fountain pen freshly filled).

Nice and accurate summation!

Interestingly, Steven Johnson recently wrote about how he uses DevonThink as the front end to writing his books, here:

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/01/27/di ... e-a-b.html

I suppose many of the applications we discuss here could do the same, and perhaps it could all be done in Scrivener. Probably many of you use this same system or some variation.

Ve
Vermonter17032

Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:22 pm Post

And, by the way, DEVONTechnologies has just released the second public beta of DTP:

http://www.devon-technologies.com/news/index.html