The Day after Tomorrow

The Film “The Day after Tomorrow” is about global warming which disrupts the ocean’s circulation and slows the Gulf Stream, causing a rapid cooling of the northern hemisphere. This triggers an ice age within days. A climate professor and his colleagues in Scotland are caught in the supercold storm and are about to freeze to death, as they are very well aware of. Somebody suggests that they make fire with a bottle of Scottish whiskey they have. But the professor refuses to put good Scottish whiskey to such a waste. Instead they agree to drink it up. They pour up their glasses with whiskey. Then they clink their glasses, and what do they say as their last words. I’m sure you can’t guess. (On the other hand, if you are an American who is totally ignorant of history, maybe you can.)

Got any ice?

Do you think we should give vic-k his leg back now?

But there ain’t no ‘whiskey’ in Scotland!

Sorry, just getting a bit fed up with an American colleague who keeps people at a distance with non-stop banter, which means for me that, with every Anglicism I use, he interrupts to say that if I learnt to speak English …

They say:

“For England”.

Yes, that’s right. That’s what Scots say when they are about to die and clink their last glasses.

Mark,
Turnover any stone, and you`ll find a gobby yank! :frowning:

vic

Vic:

Serves you right. You were supposed to turn over a new leaf, not a new stone.

ps

See what I mean Mark. We`re on a loser, no matter what we do. :frowning:
Yours in commiseration
Vic

Vic, :frowning: :frowning: :cry: :cry:

You don’t like us… :cry: :cry: :cry:

But wait a minute. We won! Must be sour grapes!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :smiling_imp:

Before you start implying that all Americans are ignorant of history, you should check your own facts. The man who WROTE and DIRECTED The Day After Tomorrow, Roland Emmerich, was born and raised in Germany, where he also began his career in filmmaking. Americans are responsible for a lot of shit on the screen, but I don’t think we deserve the blame for this fiasco.

I used to work with someone who was at film school with Emmerich in Munich. He said he was always building and filming models even then, but scripting dialogue wasn’t his strongest point… and evidently neither was Scottish/English history*.

H

• Though one can’t take away from him the achievement of creating one of the most successful alien invasion movies ever made.

If I said no…would you believe me?
Vic
PS: I think we let ys win. Were like that :wink:

During the Revolutionary War England had one of the most powerful and modern militaries with extensive training. They went up against Farmers and Peasants armed with hardly more than hunting rifles and captured weapons.

They lost.

“Bring me my brown pants!”

Yeah, you let us win, right. My brother used to try to use that one when he lost at Scrabble. When he was 12!!! :unamused:

We are Men Mon Amour, we always let the girls win :wink:
Le D :smiling_imp:

No, you men always SAY you let the girls win. No worries, though. As long as we win one way or another. 8)

One of the earliest lessons, mothers teach daughters: How to snatch victory out of the jaws of defeat! That`s why we poor males are all born losers :frowning: