Scrivener as a GTD-manager?

Ti
Timotheus
Platform: Mac

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:48 pm Post

GTD-applications are very popular at the moment: there are many (imho even too many) of them, and they all promise to bring order into our chaotic lives and to increase our feeble productivity.

But … do we really need a separate application for this? In my view, it wouldn't be difficult to turn Scrivener into a perfect GTD-application. Just two new features would be needed: the possibility to add a start date and a due date to each document, and the possibility to arrange documents by these dates. And there is no need to say that such dating features would be very convenient too for those who intend to use Scrivener only for writing, for all serious writers have activities to plan and deadlines to respect.

Is this an absurd idea, or perhaps an idea worth considering?
Last edited by Timotheus on Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scrivener – Nisus – Bookends – Devonthink – Lightroom ••• MacMini 2018 / MacBook Pro 2014 (10.14.6) – iPhone 7

I went there and came back / It was nothing special / The river at high tide / The mountain veiled by misty rain

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:12 pm Post

I highly recommend ascribing all absurd ideas to vic-k. We expect them from him.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:18 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:I highly recommend ascribing all absurd ideas to vic-k. We expect them from him.

Back-heeling...mmm...interesting.

Do Take Care
Dr Mulality
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:29 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Jaysen wrote:I highly recommend ascribing all absurd ideas to vic-k. We expect them from him.

Back-heeling...mmm...interesting.

Do Take Care
Dr Mulality

Come now Dr. Would you expect anything less from me at this point?
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:35 pm Post

No.

Do Take care
Dr Mulality
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:45 am Post

Timotheus wrote:Is this an absurd idea, or perhaps an idea worth considering?

Yes, I would say it is an absurd idea.

HTH,
Greg

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:23 pm Post

If you want a good, "flat" GTD program, take a look at TaskPaper. It's cheap, and about as purist as you can get, and as easy to maintain and plan as typing. Since the files are pure text, you can easily drop in relevant sections into the Binder. And, since the format is text only, any changes you make in Scrivener can be dropped back into TaskPaper.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ve
Vermonter17032

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:47 pm Post

Amber,

Based on your comments about Taskpaper from another thread I downloaded the program. It is, indeed, a nice, simple application. It seems as if it would also be a good application for notetaking, especially in a meeting...

Like you, I am cross-platform and I'm curious about how the PC version, Todopaper, works. The web site for downloading that application is down, so I'm wondering if you use it and what your experience is. Thanks!

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:05 pm Post

I wish I could help you out, but my alternate platform is Linux, so I really couldn't tell you how good the Windows version is. I have been using the Vim macros whenever I am not around a Mac.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

J7
J75

Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:11 pm Post

Being an avid user of Omnifocus (one of the many GTD app on the Mac), I really don't think Scrivener should be asked to do GTD or any kind of "life / work planning". It may be me, but it just does not feel right. Scrivener is all writing-related, as is its outliner : it relates to a specific writing project. Now, all projects in your life / work are not writing-related, and even those that are usually need some phone calls to be made, people to be met, email to be sent, etc...
That has nothing to do with the writing part, yet you would want to keep that kind of information in each project's .scriv file anyway ?

And then what would you do if you have several projects going at once ? Then you would need a specific .scriv file to centralize your tasks from all projects, or else you'd defeat one of the main strength of GTD : the contexts, grouping actions from different projects under a common context. The only reason I can see of using Scrivener here would be to save a few bucks. But when you rely heavily on GTD to manage your workload and achieve many projects at once, saving a few bucks is not a smart option and you're better off buying a real GTD app.

Well, that's my 0.2€ !