WIndows 3 Release: My Thoughts

Thanks for the explanation, gerdio.

You had mentioned not being able to open beta projects in v1.9. Kind of reading between the lines here, but do you mean you’re tired of the beta update cycle and want to return to v1.9? If so, it’s been a while since I’ve tried it, but I think you can just drag and drop items from the beta binder to the v1.9 binder, although I’m not sure whether that brings across meta-data. But worth a try, if reverting back is your goal at the moment.

Best,
Jim

Rather the contrary, as you yourself support with your examples.

A piece of software which has taken a dedicated C++ team a decade to get to the current level of polish - and then it can’t do half of what Scrivener can do. A perfect example of the amount of effort required to develop something of this kind for Windows. It literally takes re-implementing the Cocoa text system, and that is something only a handful of companies have even tried to do.

Which is my point.

Patchwork is not even translated to English yet, so it is very far from the maturity of Scrivener. And like Papyrus Author, it does a lot less than Scrivener.

I never said “none”, I said “a handful”, which you even quote. Arguing against a straw man does you no favors.

My point was, is and remains that Scrivener style software is very rare on Windows, because it takes enormous effort to develop compared to on MacOS. If you want to argue that point, and not a straw man, feel free to do so. Otherwise I think we’re done here.

Yes, the first thing I tried was to drag and drop everything over. But I have a lot of stuff in folders and sub-folders and I can’t just drag and drop the folder, I’d need to drag and drop every single file within Scrivener. And that’s not really comfortable. But returning to 1.9 would indeed be my only option. Also, I realize that I came across sort of angry in this thread but well … I was, it was late and English is not my native language. Sorry to all …

Look, it a) of course differs in its core functionality but it can do a lot that Scrivener can’t do and b) I don’t care in which language it was written. I don’t care about “Cocoa” or any fanboyism for Apple. I care about getting the same product for Windows as you get for Apple. Not because I feel entitled but because the company promised to release it as such in a given timeframe. I wouldn’t even care if Scrivener was only for Apple as long as they wouldn’t have promised it for Windows as well. I already said that I have been patient but it’s been a long time now and at some point I had to voice my disappointment.
But I have to ask you: why do you even bother to respond when you are obviously an Apple user who doesn’t care about the Windows version and its (potential) users at all?

It is more specified towards fiction writing but maybe you should learn German to be able to look up its functionality. Translation to English is only a minor issue and one that doesn’t bother me at all (I speak German).

Oh my, so I misquoted you (well, unintentionally and actually not eve that far off). So sorry. I’m not aware of any Scrivener style software on Apple, so what now? Who cares about that? It doesn’t matter to me or any end-user how hard or not hard it is to develop on a given platform. Your beloved Cocoa also doesn’t matter. What matters: there was a release date. Long time ago. And still no release, just beta after beta. But well, at this point I’m not sure why I even posted in this forum because nothing will change. I will still use Scrivener for my already existing projects until I find the leisure to convert them, otherwise I just have to move on. And that’s a shame because I liked the program and the company for various reasons like the discount for NaNo or giving away the Linux version for free.

Make up your mind. You are making two self contradictory claims here.

I don’t care that you don’t understand you do. That’s not my problem. But you do.

I don’t speak any German, but can anybody confirm that Patchwork costs 130+euros?

That’s a lot of bones. On the hand they have already released their V3 for both MAC and WINDOWS…

Ja, ich denke das ist richtig. (courtesy google translate) :mrgreen:

Price drops to 99 euros if you don’t want the grammar/spell checking add-on called Duden. Or you can get a Duden-less 26/mo subscription.

Best,
Jim

One alternative would be to use the Export → Files function to export the entire Binder from Scrivener 3, and then import the resulting files and folders into Scrivener 1.9. That would preserve the Binder hierarchy, but lose associated metadata.

Another alternative would be to ask a friendly Mac Scrivener user (or our support team) to export from Mac Scrivener 3 to a (Mac) Scrivener 2 format project.

Katherine

Ha, that’s great! I didn’t even think about the export function and settled on writing long postings here instead :unamused: sorry.
Thank you!!! :smiley:

If you don’t write in German, paying for the “Duden” wouldn’t make any sense. (Actually, the “Duden” is the best known German dictionary, kind of the equivalent to the Oxford English Dictionary. Kind of, until the spelling reform of 1996 it was even normative, not only descriptive. But I guess nobody wants to know that …)

One little correction, the price of € 26,- is not a subscription model, it’s actually payment by installment. Four times € 26,-.

Ah, that all makes sense. Thanks for the clarification! I learned something today. :slight_smile:

I’d be okay with a different but just as cool version that does what I need in Windows in perhaps slightly different ways. And to say it needs to be on par with Word… Well IMO Scriv for Mac is better than Word, but then again you have to pay a lot more for Office. If you are paying $45 stop complaining overmuch. Fair enough to ask for features. IMO.

I completely agree.
The Windows 3 Beta has been in development for how many years??? On top of that, exactly as you said, you can’t open older versions in Windows.

Without a doubt the most well-thought, respectful thing I’ve read in these forums.

A very thoughtful post. And really, very much appreciated. I thought I was alone in my frustration. Now I see its not the case.

I’ve only posted a few times but the divided camp you describe seems pretty accurate.There is another way to consider the divide. Those who are indifferent to the notion of their key software being shut down mid project because the company making it can’t or won’t be honest with the customer base, or those who need to know that software they are depending on will be around and issues fixed. As far as your comment “… A little bit of considering the other person’s perspective can go a long way…” there are just people who feel entitled to do that kind of thing, here and everywhere-and they’ll never take advice.

And yes, we could all just continue to use the original Windows version. A version that is already behind several Windows updates. And if the Windows project gets abandoned we still have operating software many Windows revisions behind. Until something breaks. Usually mid project or just before a deadline as those things tend to happen. Just one windows update away. Or, perhaps like myself,consider buying a Mac just to use the better version. Which seems ridiculous.

I have also see comments about ‘flailing a dead horse’ and how those people should stop complaining because L&L is aware and the complaints aren’t going to make any difference to the project. If true,doesn’t that pretty much validate the companies indifference? And its strange if not bizarre to be treating customers that way. Which really says more than the endless multiyear missed deadlines.

Agree. Once upon a time there was a 'Golden Vaporware" award. Maybe we should nominate L&L.

1. The promise was as close to parity as the operating system differences will allow. I don’t believe there was ever a promise for total parity. That said it’s pretty f.cking close to parity. (I’m Australian, here we’d include the u, but left it out for fear of melting snowflakes.)

2. It exists in a solid, useable beta, therefore it is not vapourware. It’s just not ‘chargeableware’ yet.

Not sure how ‘parity’ got connected to my own comments, ‘parity’ is not an issue for me although it might be if L&L ever actually release the final product. Be that as it may-this endless golden vaporware project is beyond ridiculous.

I’ve solved my own problem by ordering a Mac, which will give me the option to buy the current generation version should I decide I just can’t live without. As someone pointed out buying ‘Adobe 1.0’ in a Adobe 10x universe is just not an option. I will say I’m having second thoughts about buying anything from any company that would so obviously care less about their future customers.

1. Congratulations on buying a superior machine. :smiley: Much as I’m sure Apple appreciate the sale, you could have just used the Win V3 beta for free and saved the $$$…
  2. …‘obviously care less’…You’ve made a wild accusation. Care to support it with any fact? I see a company that cares very much, providing great tech support and developing the best long for writing app anywhere. PERIOD! (to quote some political hack.)

The Win beta 3 is progressing and already far superior to any other Win option out there. Could they have communicated a little better, yes, but if you bother to read Keith’s recent blog post, they’ve taken it on the chin and are using it as learning experience.

For vapourware, it sure does have an awfully material download link. I will admit it is red instead of gold, however, though I’m not sure if that is a good or bad thing, from how you phrased it.