NiaD X

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:51 pm Post

Well, I've just sent mine in. Vic would probably immediately recognise it as mine—he always called me "young-un" or some such, even though I wasn't that much younger than him—as he'd immediately recognise the accent and the not-terribly-novel-like language!

Good luck to those that are still at it!

:)

Mr X
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
M1 MacBook Air (2021), 11.2.1, 16GB RAM, !TB SSID
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.7, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14.3, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:56 pm Post

mishmhem wrote:So, it was not the graphic driven highspeed source of information - it was more like a two lane dirt road with a lazy flowing creek along side... but there were always trolls.
I think a more accurate "road analogy" is "two rut dirt road with a few homesteads next to a creek and a train terminal at the other end". The DARPA and colligate backbones of the day were high speed (relative, but still high speed). The limiting factor was the last mile. That last mile problem STILL EXISTS TODAY but the speeds are so high that most folks don't notice. Oh, and compression, compression helps a metric crap ton with the last mile. No one sends uncompressed data streams anymore.

homeport wrote:I am sure he is still with us in spirit and with you.
Yes he is. As I was reading my drafts to the Mrs she started recalling things Vic wrote and did a VanDyke English accent to match. He really was like a relative to me. And just like losing a family member it will take me some time to recover.

Thank you all for putting up with us (me, my crazy, and all of vic). Y'all are still the bright spot for me (except the win v3 threads... just stop feeding the trolls on BOTH sides!)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Jaysen

Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:58 pm Post

xiamenese wrote:Well, I've just sent mine in. Vic would probably immediately recognise it as mine—he always called me "young-un" or some such, even though I wasn't that much younger than him—as he'd immediately recognise the accent and the not-terribly-novel-like language!

Mr X

Mr X, on behalf of Mr K I would like to congratulate you on making another successful NiaD. And while I can not claim elder status, it's good to see you you-uns staying up late and getting it done. Or is it getting up early? :P
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

Camy

Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:58 pm Post

Where does the time go?
I'd swear it was still around noon, but apparently the NIAD continuum works differently.
How it can be close to 15:00 I have no effing idea.
Help?!!! :shock:
ImageImage

MacPro 7.5 - Scrivener & Scapple
Lenovo - Ubuntu/Win 8.1- Scrivener & Scapple

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:01 pm Post

It seems that every year everyone else gets faster at this, while I get slower. Am not even going to mention Jaysen's unearthly streak to the finish this year.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

Jaysen

Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:07 pm Post

gr wrote:It seems that every year everyone else gets faster at this, while I get slower. Am not even going to mention Jaysen's unearthly streak to the finish this year.

Fine wine takes time to develop. Same with scotch and rum. Moonshine though... it’s crap in its finest form. I come from a family of bootleggers.

And I had help. You’ll understand.
Jaysen

ImageImage

xiamenese

Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:49 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
xiamenese wrote:Well, I've just sent mine in. Vic would probably immediately recognise it as mine—he always called me "young-un" or some such, even though I wasn't that much younger than him—as he'd immediately recognise the accent and the not-terribly-novel-like language!

Mr X

Mr X, on behalf of Mr K I would like to congratulate you on making another successful NiaD. And while I can not claim elder status, it's good to see you you-uns staying up late and getting it done. Or is it getting up early? :P

Actually, it was 2:30 p.m. here when I finished. I stopped panicking at midday and just got on with it.

:lol:

Mr X

nom

Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:57 pm Post

Daurmith wrote:[Rushes in holding a bunch of papers and folders and panting]
Hi guys! Sorry, sorry, I'm late, I know, I didn't say anything, it's all a bit crazy here [UFO crash-lands behind her] but I'm fine, I'm good, everything's good, let's see, where were w[zombies attack] —stop it, I'm trying to get some writing done here, guys… [fiery hailstorm] Okay, okay, everybody inside, no need to panic, let's just — [hungry cannibal flying frogs swarm covers town] Just close that window, will you? Thanks. Okay. Deep breath.

Let's go.

Sounds about normal for 2020. Gotta come up with better excuses these days...
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Jaysen

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:04 pm Post

nom wrote:
Daurmith wrote:[Rushes in holding a bunch of papers and folders and panting]
Hi guys! Sorry, sorry, I'm late, I know, I didn't say anything, it's all a bit crazy here [UFO crash-lands behind her] but I'm fine, I'm good, everything's good, let's see, where were w[zombies attack] —stop it, I'm trying to get some writing done here, guys… [fiery hailstorm] Okay, okay, everybody inside, no need to panic, let's just — [hungry cannibal flying frogs swarm covers town] Just close that window, will you? Thanks. Okay. Deep breath.

Let's go.

Sounds about normal for 2020. Gotta come up with better excuses these days...

A dolphin ate it?
Jaysen

ImageImage

nom

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:21 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Earlier in this thread, Nom said "this one is for vic-k!" It was hard to write this year. My heart was not in the story knowing that the +3 has not not only faded form the forum, but from life itself. For me every NiaD has been for Victor Kite. This one is my goodbye to him.

Goodbye my friend. You will be forever present in my memories, in my heart, and in my writing.

One of life’s many griefs is that I did not get to meet Vic in person.
I held back the tears all day, until now.
Nonetheless, thank you.

I am determined to finish my chapter for him. Apologies to Pigfender if I don’t finish it in time.
Last edited by nom on Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

xandria

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:23 pm Post

Finished and sent! Oh my that was both awesomely fun, and insanely hard!

I can't wait to see how the story turns out! :)
ImageImage

Jaysen

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:26 pm Post

Nom,

I'm not vic-k and I'll never be as capable of supporting others as he was. Dig deep and hear him telling you "this is just a time, soon it will pass." He told me that a lot. A. Lot.

And when you have time, feel free to lean on me a bit. Maybe together we can be just enough Vic to get through to the other side in one piece.
Jaysen

ImageImage

JacquelineM
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:51 pm Post

Well, I’ve finished mine. Yay!

I don’t know if it’s any good, but at least it’s done.
I shall send it after one last edit.

I always panic when I receive the brief and think I can’t do it, and then somehow make sense of it and a story emerges.

I’m a terrible procrastinator so I actually spent an hour editing my WIP which I’ve had Writers Block on for a while.

Ironically, Scrivener on my iPad isn’t compiling today, so I’ve had to copy everything into Windows. Typical!

Thanks to @pigfender for making this such a great event. I’m looking forward to reading your chapter too! :) And, of course, everyone else’s.

xiamenese

Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:00 pm Post

JacquelineM wrote:Well, I’ve finished mine. Yay!

I don’t know if it’s any good, but at least it’s done.
I shall send it after one last edit.

I always panic when I receive the brief and think I can’t do it, and then somehow make sense of it and a story emerges.

<snip> …

Thanks to @pigfender for making this such a great event. I’m looking forward to reading your chapter too! :) And, of course, everyone else’s.

Just what I feel. Trying to make sense of my chapter was the biggest challenge this time, rather than feeling completely out of my depth with genre like the last two times I took part.

:D

Mark

Evil Overlord
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:05 pm Post

Done! The benefit of being in this time zone is that I have lots of time to mull my concept. The drawback is that I have to start writing as soon as I wake up.

This year's genre was ... my spouse's favorite. One of these days, I swear the story will be about something I know about (and will have no excuse for getting badly wrong). Some day.