The Secret Of Productive Writing...

antony

Thu May 08, 2008 12:46 pm Post

Blimey, I wish my handwriting was that pretty. I resorted to writing in mixed big- and small-caps at school because the teachers couldn't read my work to mark it...
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

MarcustheBlacksmith

Fri May 09, 2008 12:06 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
MarcustheBlacksmith wrote:Hear hear! I haven't been legible with a pen since primary school...
....I burned all my pens and danced around them singing 'a bloo blah bloo'.

...sadly, it doesn`t really come as a surprise :(

Sir, what do you insinuate?
...having my sanity questioned by a three-legged rodent who may or may not think he's Napoleon...I don't know...
sincères amitiés,
Monsieur Clangy Bangy

But t'weren't the Almighty that lifted her nighty...'twas Roger the lodger, the dodger!

Th
Thequietone

Fri May 09, 2008 12:38 pm Post

antony wrote:Blimey, I wish my handwriting was that pretty. I resorted to writing in mixed big- and small-caps at school because the teachers couldn't read my work to mark it...

And I thought I was the only one that printed everything.
The beatings I used to take for printing and then for bad handwriting.
I must have been a sadists dream as no matter what I did it was wrong.

Paul

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri May 09, 2008 1:02 pm Post

Paul,

With you on that. I was the only person in 5th grade whose parents had to go buy a typewriter so their son could pass. Too bad no one ever taught me to type.

Have any of you tried lefty? I do that when I am being "artistic". It comes out quite legible, but it is so difficult that it is not practical for more than occasional use.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 26 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

ImageImage

antony

Fri May 09, 2008 2:14 pm Post

Yeah, I got berated for it too, but not as much as handing in something illegible. Damned if you do...

As for trying left-handed, ho ho ho. Even *I* can't read it when I write southpaw.
Antony Johnston
antonyjohnston.com

JR
JRP

Fri May 09, 2008 2:29 pm Post

werebear wrote:I don't mind tooling along with a fountain pen.

The sticking point is typing the dang thing into the machine afterwards.

I'd rather use the dinky keyboard in my Palm.

The makers of http://www.livescribe.com no doubt would say they've provided the answer you need...though the Mac version won't be available until fall.

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri May 09, 2008 3:50 pm Post

JRP wrote:The makers of http://www.livescribe.com no doubt would say they've provided the answer you need...though the Mac version won't be available until fall.

They've never seen my handwriting. My husband claims it's as hard to crack as strong encryption.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

PJ
PJS

Fri May 09, 2008 4:47 pm Post

I must be missing something. The Pulse computer/pen <http://www.livescribe.com/> includes an infrared camera, LED display, dual microphones, playback speaker, ink cartridge, USB port, and a hundred sheets of microdot encrusted paper. (There may also be a built-in pipe wrench, but I'm not sure.)

With this package of goodies, the manufacturer says, you can record audio while you write (or while installing a new water heater, if that really was a wrench).

Okay, if you're a student taking notes in a class, or a reporter covering a council meeting. (Or a plumber.) But what good does it do if you're (cough, cough) a writer? I sometimes talk to myself, but haven't yet declined to the level of speaking aloud every word as I write it.

Phil
You can't conquer stupid — or cure it — with more stupid.

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri May 09, 2008 11:59 pm Post

...it is kinky though, isn`t it :twisted:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

PJ
PJS

Sat May 10, 2008 12:38 am Post

You mean installing a water heater, or talking to yourself?

Phil

vic-k

Sat May 10, 2008 12:43 am Post

I meant the pen!! y` loop :lol:

I`ve done a few boiler in my time (that`s boilers not Broilers) nothing kinky about them. As for talking to oneself, I suppose it does have potential :shock: :?

Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

JR
JRP

Sat May 10, 2008 6:25 am Post

PJS wrote:I must be missing something...But what good does it do if you're (cough, cough) a writer? I sometimes talk to myself, but haven't yet declined to the level of speaking aloud every word as I write it.

Phil

I think you missed the part where the pen uses the camera in the tip to record the notes/words you write or pictures/sketches you draw, which you can then upload to your computer as files.:-) Except I think you would still need a program that can translate handwriting into a computer font and save as a text file. But I haven't bothered looking through all the tech specs.

vic-k

Sat May 10, 2008 10:42 am Post

JRP & PJS

'The Brotherhood of Consonants'

PJ
PJS

Sat May 10, 2008 1:25 pm Post

JRP:

The original issue was illegible handwriting. If it can't be read on the paper, what's the point of transferring it to a computer screen? It's still illegible.

My own work-around has been to learn fairly rapid lower-case printing. Almost as fast as the cursive, and far more legible -- even for other people.

JR
JRP

Sat May 10, 2008 2:18 pm Post

PJS:

Well, I think the original issue of the post was productive writing and being able to track your writing time. Which then evolve into a subplot regarding handwriting, etc., etc., but I agree with your point. If handwriting is illegible on paper, it will be illegible when transferred to computer. Like you, I've developed a printed letter style of writing to make sure mine is readable, though I often consider trying to relearn reputable cursive.