The Secret Of Productive Writing...

…sadly, it doesn`t really come as a surprise :frowning:

Of course knowing how much time you spend writing is no indication of productivity. You could spend two hours writing 300 words. You could spend tow hours writing 3000 words that you spend another two hours reducing to 300 words.

One thing that I have done is to learn to touch type. It has at least produced an increase in wordage/time spent in Scrivener.

You can check your typing speed here: speedtest.10-fast-fingers.com/

trip

Picture 1.jpg

I just want someone to invent a pen with backspace/delete and Undo. And Attachments. That can get the Internet. And print out in Courier 12pt. And has a speling chekcer. And word count. That’s all. KEITH: Get on with it.

Don’t get me wrong. I WANT to use pen and paper, but it is a waste of time. My limit seems to be a 3x5 with a phrase or snippet of an idea. Anything the is more than a sentence will take quite a bit of time to decode.

The ONLY exception I have to this is music or lyrics for music. I think there are two things going on there.

1. The thought that goes into it really slows down the process. Write a phrase, think then write the next. Prose for me is more like a stream of thought.
  2. I tend to do it lefty. I am a righty. I think the use of the other hand forces me to really consider what I am doing. I tried it for prose before I bought scriv, but it is just too slow.

Anyway, I envy you Mr P and Mr. Bywater for your handwriting abilities.

With broad nib, as above! :smiley:

Blimey, I wish my handwriting was that pretty. I resorted to writing in mixed big- and small-caps at school because the teachers couldn’t read my work to mark it…

Sir, what do you insinuate?
[size=50]…having my sanity questioned by a three-legged rodent who may or may not think he’s Napoleon…I don’t know…[/size]

And I thought I was the only one that printed everything.
The beatings I used to take for printing and then for bad handwriting.
I must have been a sadists dream as no matter what I did it was wrong.

Paul

Paul,

With you on that. I was the only person in 5th grade whose parents had to go buy a typewriter so their son could pass. Too bad no one ever taught me to type.

Have any of you tried lefty? I do that when I am being “artistic”. It comes out quite legible, but it is so difficult that it is not practical for more than occasional use.

Yeah, I got berated for it too, but not as much as handing in something illegible. Damned if you do…

As for trying left-handed, ho ho ho. Even I can’t read it when I write southpaw.

The makers of livescribe.com no doubt would say they’ve provided the answer you need…though the Mac version won’t be available until fall.

They’ve never seen my handwriting. My husband claims it’s as hard to crack as strong encryption.

Katherine

I must be missing something. The Pulse computer/pen http://www.livescribe.com/ includes an infrared camera, LED display, dual microphones, playback speaker, ink cartridge, USB port, and a hundred sheets of microdot encrusted paper. (There may also be a built-in pipe wrench, but I’m not sure.)

With this package of goodies, the manufacturer says, you can record audio while you write (or while installing a new water heater, if that really was a wrench).

Okay, if you’re a student taking notes in a class, or a reporter covering a council meeting. (Or a plumber.) But what good does it do if you’re (cough, cough) a writer? I sometimes talk to myself, but haven’t yet declined to the level of speaking aloud every word as I write it.

Phil

…it is kinky though, isn`t it :smiling_imp:

You mean installing a water heater, or talking to yourself?

Phil

I meant the pen!! y` loop :laughing:

Ive done a few boiler in my time (thats boilers not Broilers) nothing kinky about them. As for talking to oneself, I suppose it does have potential :open_mouth: :confused:

Vic

I think you missed the part where the pen uses the camera in the tip to record the notes/words you write or pictures/sketches you draw, which you can then upload to your computer as files.:slight_smile: Except I think you would still need a program that can translate handwriting into a computer font and save as a text file. But I haven’t bothered looking through all the tech specs.

[size=150]JRP & PJS[/size]

[size=150]‘The Brotherhood of Consonants’[/size]

JRP:

The original issue was illegible handwriting. If it can’t be read on the paper, what’s the point of transferring it to a computer screen? It’s still illegible.

My own work-around has been to learn fairly rapid lower-case printing. Almost as fast as the cursive, and far more legible – even for other people.

PJS:

Well, I think the original issue of the post was productive writing and being able to track your writing time. Which then evolve into a subplot regarding handwriting, etc., etc., but I agree with your point. If handwriting is illegible on paper, it will be illegible when transferred to computer. Like you, I’ve developed a printed letter style of writing to make sure mine is readable, though I often consider trying to relearn reputable cursive.