Inline Annotations not appearing in Compile

Hi. Just found this old thread on a search for [compile annotations].

I am finding that inline annotations are not appearing in the compiled documents when the output format is ether docx, doc, or rtf.

When I compile to pdf, the inlines are there as expected.

FYI using Version: 2.9.9.8 Beta (984254) 64-bit - 12 Jul 2020, on a project that was created in S1.8.6.0.

Will this be fixed?

Thank you.

PS. I do not have the “remove annotations” option enabled.

Moved to new topic as this is a different bug.

Is there a link to the new topic? I’m unable to find where it has been moved to. Would like to know if I’ll be able to use annotations in compiled documents as expected.

Uploading a small project with few documents which show the buggy compile output would be best to help us trace your problem. Inline annotations do get compile but probably something in your settings or the compiler itself does not produce the expected result.

OK. Here’s a simple Scrivener 3 project. Zipped.

When I compile as either doc, docx, or rtf, the inline annotations do not show up.

Using the same settings as above, when I compile as pdf, they show up as expected.

Is there a way to export the compile settings I am using? I see an option on the Compile dialog to export a file named “Imported Scrivener v1 Settings.scrformat”. Is that of any use? I’ve attached it as well.

Using the current beta.

Annotation Compile Issue.zip (57.9 KB) = Zipped Scrivener project
Imported Scrivener v1 Settings.zip (2.22 KB) = Settings from Compile dialog

In your case the annotations are exported as Margin Comments to RTF/DOC.
Under PDF they are always inlined within the text.

To export the annotations in RTF/DOC within brackets, edit(double-click) the “Imported Scrivener v1 Settings” compile format. Go to “Footnotes & Comments” > “Export comments and annotations as:” > “Inline Comments”. You can adjust the surrounding separators in the boxes below.

Thank you! That was very helpful. And reassuring I’ll be able to proceed as I’d anticipated. :smiley: