Scrivener for Windows 3

Remember this old gem? literatureandlatte.com/blog … rses-mouth

I purchased in April of 2017 but now I hear you had to purchase in November to get the free update? Pfft…

Yes we know Lee was hopelessly optimistic, and we’re still waiting. This horse is well and truly dead and has had its hide flailed in more threads than I can count.

Yes, we’re all disappointed, but it’s reality.

As for your April purchase, L&L set a particularly generous date of August if I remember correctly and that date was announced at the time, so I don’t understand your ‘but now I hear’. You’ve had almost 3 years to ‘hear’ that.

Yes there are many of us who will have to pay for the update, but the free update offer was for people who decided to buy based on the announcement of V3 development.

I don’t profess to speak for L&L, but they were under no obligation to make the offer and had every right to set the cut off date. If you’re trying to guilt them into changing the free offer date (and throwing in the delay for added guilt), poor form IMHO.

It was never going to be a free update for all users, only for “new” users who purchased after the initial announcement. But, they do say that all other existing users will be able to purchase Scrivener 3 for only $25. That’s a hell of a deal, to be honest. Am I upset that I won’t get it for free because I bought ScrivWin as soon as it came out of beta? Maybe, a little, the way I get upset when I’m hungry in one room and the food is in another–it’s fleeting. Because I know that I can get the new version for less than the subscription cost for only three months of Microsoft Office. For the price of a single hardcover novel. The price of a couple of movie tickets and tub of popcorn. It’s a non-issue for me, in other words. If 25 bucks is going to break the bank for you, I don’t know what to tell you, to be honest. I get that times are tight right now for many people, and I’m one of them. But if you amortize the cost of Scrivener 3 over the entire lifetime of both the beta and your usage of the actual product once it comes out, I’m sure that you’ll come to the logical conclusion that you’re getting a huge value for your investment.

How many words have you written in the meanwhile? Make the math.

How many words will you write until version 3 it’s released? Stop worrying and keep on writing. Version 3 will take some time yet. I don’t think it will see the light in 2020.

Once version 3 it’s out decide if it’s worth your 25$USD. In the meanwhile you have an almost 100% functional product in the form of a free beta to help make your mind.

I don’t understand your anger. What did you expect? that they decide to extend some months back the free update offer? I sure hope business doesn’t work like that in the real world. Others have been buying different versions while they move from one OS to another and you don’t hear’em complaining. I think the product it’s very affordable as it is, and a 25$USD upgrade fee it’s almost a steal. But that’s my opinion.

Should I demand a refund or play the fool and wait?

I bought Scrivener this past winter. I am doing research and the run-on-link bug in the windows release is unbearable. I am hesitant to risk losing progress or time to a Beta that frequently expires. Beta is real nice though, but I don’t trust L&L.

I’d be more inclined to patiently wait it out if the posts about release dates weren’t F#(&!*% clownshoes,

You don’t trust L&L to what? It’s easier for someone to give advice when your concerns are explicitly stated.

IMHO, you’re more likely to play the fool by demanding a refund at this late stage but your choice.

You can set the beta to check for updates each time you open and spend a couple of minutes once a month updating, just like updating any other software. Such a hardship…

As for release dates, apart from a couple of hopelessly optimistic dates earlier on, they have consistently said when it’s ready, so no (expletive) clownshoes (sic) in approx the past year.

Since we’ve decided not to announce release dates in advance, recent posts about release dates have been from people who do not speak for Literature & Latte. Surely you don’t hold us responsible for clown shows managed by our customers?

Katherine

I will be happy to hand over the cash for the V3-PC when it is complete. It will be a major update. It will save me spending £1,000 for a cheap Mac to get those same features.

I understand that people need to make money. Scrivener is not exactly a ‘mainstream’ app that can expect to sell millions of copies, like Microsoft Office, for example. Families need to be fed, systems need to be updated.

I have no problems paying for a new, seriously improved version of something that I can use at home, indefinitely.

I am currently trying out the beta [RC8] and learning some of the new stuff, since the title ‘Release Candidate’ means it is time I started to do so, if I don’t want it to be a total shock to my system on Release Day.

So, Devs, take as long as you need. Make it the best it can be. I know you will do that anyway. :mrgreen:

You may find our upgrade guide for Scrivener 2 users useful. This version was written for Mac Scrivener 3, so some of the specific commands may be different, but the same principles apply:
literatureandlatte.com/scri … date-guide

Katherine

Thank you, Katherine. I will look at that today. I worked my way through the whole Tutorial in [RC8] yesterday too.

Life will be interesting. :smiley:

I get the frustration, but . . . in the period since Scriv 3 for Windows was announced I have continued to get excellent use out of good old tried-and-true Version 1.9. (“Excellent use” = writing 7 nonfiction books, most of them structurally complex with lots of notes and back matter, all published or in production at various houses, and drafting most of a novel.) The original version of Scrivener for Windows still works fine. The beta is shiny, and I’ll be happy to pay for 3.0 once the stable version is released, but it’s not as if a great iteration hasn’t been available all along.