How long is too long and when I should get worried?

How long it takes to write a book? I’m not saying that I have block…I think its more like a pause and I almost know what causes it. But when I should start to worry?

I started to dabble first book 2016 and it got serious about year and half after. I got story finished, and it’s rough, I still have to go thru it or write it all over again, but it was too much at the time (2018). I actually started it, but I hit the wall on that I started second book (accidenttally)…which is now about 100 pages+ fifty pages notes+the end. When I got stuck on that, I accidentally started third book that is now almost finished somewhere 250 pages and in 20 notes+the end. So I have been writing all the time, but now it has started to bother me that the first book isin’t already ready and I it feels that I’m overwhelmed and I don’t know why the time is now so important, but it bothers(really panic) that maybe it has been already too long.

If someone want’s to answer, little bit background. All three books are linked and it’s family saga, so the story has been basically the same all along.

If you’re not working on it, of course the first book isn’t going to be finished.

Some books take months. Some books take decades. Don’t worry about the calendar. Worry about putting one foot in front of the other on the road to finishing it.

Katherine

Outch! Did I got just kick to my rear (can I say asss…shh… in here)?! :smiley: quite right, if Im not doing it, it doesn’t get finished.
I don’t know why I’m so worried the time, but it feels that I should be already …somewhere.

Any kicking aside, it’s not unusual for writers to have unfinished manuscripts lying around. Some ideas simply aren’t big enough to carry a novel length project. Learning to keep going after the initial inspiration fades is a skill in itself. It’s probably better to abandon something that isn’t working than to let it become a millstone around your neck.

Just be honest with yourself about what you’re doing. Or not doing, as the case may be.

Katherine

That’s what I have been doing, I like the story, over all. I don’t want to abandon the story. It’s good well if not good at least all right. I know that some of the parts are bad and have to be rewrite, but I think that my brains don’t accept other version and that makes me doupt my self more. I have lot of self doupt here now, and I think it’s because the third book that is starting to be ready is end of the story even the second book isn’t ready at all.

And what I never touhght, the thing I have started to think seriously is publishing. What if it’s not good enough and what if I will self publish, is it the good thing.

I’d rather get kicked by Katherine than just about anyone else. I’d also like to be better at getting to the point in as clear a way as she demonstrates. :slight_smile:

I have found, in my own experience writing a book about (fictionalized) real people, is that concerns for how they will be perceived, and come across are roadblocks for getting the book done. At least it has been in my case. I find I have a lot more feeling of “creative license” in the scenes that have totally imaginary characters. I can write them however I want, without external real-world concerns or (thoughts about) repercussions.