rs
rscottfarrell
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri May 15, 2020 10:57 pm Post

*project files

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri May 15, 2020 11:18 pm Post

rscottfarrell wrote:I followed the guidelines and installed Win 3 beta in its own unique directory, but the project are in the same directory, a dropbox folder not within either Scrivener directory. Is that an issue?

Shouldn't be. If you want to be *super* safe, put the project that you're converting in a local folder, not connected to any cloud service. But it shouldn't matter.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

rw
rwfranz
Platform: Windows

Mon May 18, 2020 12:04 pm Post

rscottfarrell wrote:The question I have now is an even more important issue. After having pieced the content together, chapter by chapter, I have rewritten one third of the novel in Win 3.0 beta. How safe is my content? Not trusting it, I compile daily so I have the work in Word.

Sounds like a proper paranoia of Beta software. I don't go to that extent for most of what I do, but if I'm working on something critical, I compile after I'm done for the day. I also set up a synchronization directory for each project. Those are all in one directory so I know where to look for them.

When I got to chapter nine (not bothering to look ahead in the file), I discovered scenes missing and out of place and all the other issues stated above.

Freak out time.

I would too.

The jumbling of content was extensive.

Now, you can fix this. If you look in your working directory (the directory in which your project directories sit), you'll find the old version, likely named Project_backup.scriv (so if my project is Anye.scriv, the backup is Anye_backup.scriv). Open it with the old version of Scrivener, and there are your scenes. You can pull them out, one scene or chapter at a time, and drag/drop them where they should be.

But this is a bug, obviously, in the conversion routines in Scrivener.

Another question: Will Win 3.0 open a Mac file properly? The reason I ask is that I write in Windows to a complete novel. Then I save another copy, open it in my Mac, update it there and compile to Vellum. I really don't need to open a Mac version in Win, but am curious about those two working together.

So far as I know, they interoperate acceptably well. Unfortunately, I cannot reassure you on this, because I don't use a Mac and cannot test it. But others do on this forum, and they haven't reported any issues with interoperability recently, to my recollection. (which could be faulty, of course)
Just another user.

jje
Platform: Windows

Mon May 18, 2020 12:18 pm Post

rscottfarrell wrote:I followed the guidelines and installed Win 3 beta in its own unique directory, but the project are in the same directory, a dropbox folder not within either Scrivener directory. Is that an issue?

If you use Dropbox, the project folder needs to be inside the Dropbox folder, rather than the other way round. You shouldn't use Dropbox to keep program files or Windows system files in sync; only user created files (documents, photos, etc.)

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Mon May 18, 2020 10:39 pm Post

rwfranz wrote:<snip>

Another question: Will Win 3.0 open a Mac file properly? The reason I ask is that I write in Windows to a complete novel. Then I save another copy, open it in my Mac, update it there and compile to Vellum. I really don't need to open a Mac version in Win, but am curious about those two working together.

So far as I know, they interoperate acceptably well. Unfortunately, I cannot reassure you on this, because I don't use a Mac and cannot test it. But others do on this forum, and they haven't reported any issues with interoperability recently, to my recollection. (which could be faulty, of course)

I'm a Mac user and have been collaborating with a Windows using friend with v. 3 Beta for some two years now with very few problems, and those were the usual ones of not giving Sync (alternative to Dropbox which we can't use!) time to sync fully before shutting down or opening the project.

:)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
iMac 27" (late 2015) 10.15.6, 24GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 16GB RAM, 2TB SSID
2017 iPad, iPadOS 14, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …