iCloud Sync

Could you explain what are the good synchronization habits? I still cannot figure it out. I am not so much concerned about conflicts, but I seem to do something wrong every single time, when I switch between iOS and Mac: forgetting to close Scrivener on Mac before opening on the iPad, forgetting to reset session on the iPad because it does not reset automatically, forgetting to synchronize projects on the ipad before opening Scrivener on Mac. Also, during synchronisation it’s impossible to work (on the iPad even work in another app is impossible, because it stops the process), which is very annoying.

So, what am I doing wrong and what would be these synchronisation habits to develop in the case when someone has to switch between computers several times a day?

First, enable the autoclose option on the Mac. Scrivener -> Preferences -> General -> Automatic Quit.

Second, on the iPad, go to Settings -> Scrivener -> Syncing & Sharing, and enable all the options.

Third, when you finish working on a document on the iPad, tap the gear icon below the Binder, and choose the option to Sync Now.

The autoclose option should reduce the number of times you come back to the Mac and find Scrivener wasn’t closed. But if you do, use the File -> Sync -> With Mobile Devices option to incorporate any mobile changes.

Those options should take care of the large majority of “risky” sync situations.

Katherine

Rule no. 1:
Slow down…

Give the Mac time to really upload any changes to the Dropbox server, and close the project before leaving the Mac.
On the iPad, back out of the project to the view where you see all projects, tap sync and wait until it’s finished, before leaving iOS Scrivener or your iPad.
Back at the Mac, give the Dropbox app time to download any changes from the Dropbox server before you open the project.

Upload and download aren’t instant processes. They take time, so slow down and you’lö be fine.

kewms:

1. It is on Autoclose. It does not help much, since sometimes it still fails to close, and, more importantly, you have to remember exactly when you used the mac for the last time: was it 55 min ago or 1 hour 03 min ago?
    And, even more importantly, closing the Mac version does not force the iPad version to synchronize.
    So, a realistic scenario – you are outside, with no internet, you are not sure if Mac app is closed, but you can’t synchronize iPad anyway. Solution? Write somewhere else, and then copy paste.
    Not nice.
  2. Ipad settings do not do much, since I don’t have a sim card in it. So, it’s always “on the WiFi”.
  3. Synch Now button under the Binder does the same as the Projects synch button, that is – blocking all work for some minutes. Also, when I use it, Scrivener often crashes after some minutes of “Downloading file list”, without actually sending anything to the Dropbox.

lunk: unfortunately “slowing down” does not help at all – it is the question of planning (will I write on the iPad in 30 minutes or will I not?).
I mean – I do not have problems with corrupted files, because when in doubt I just don’t use Scrivener. But it is not an elegant solution.

… Oh yes, and you still have to remember to reset the session.

I don’t even know what that is and have never had any problems. What session is it you reset?

But yes, slowing down and not being in such a hurry will get you ample time to close things down and to let things synchronize. It’s just a question of habits.
If I am in a hurry and get an idea, I just Drafts 4, not iOS Scrivener. Write down the text, and send it off to the Scrivener Scratch Pad, where I can later pock it up and include it in the correct Scrivener document.

Session target (daily words). It is set to update every night on the Mac, but not on the iPad

I don’t see at what moment exactly one has to slow down. We are talking about a situation when we are outside and want to write. If we postpone the writing “until the next time” it does not mean “slowing down”, it means that we are inefficient as writers. If we use another app, as we actually do (Drafts, Evernote, Keep, Ulysses etc), it means that there’s something wrong with Scrivener, not with us.

Oh, that’s a simple question. You just need to remeber to sync your iOS Scrivener once you get back home, or wherever you have WiFi, and not to open the project on the Mac until you’ve done this.
That’s when you have to slow down and be patient. One thing at a time. Finish on the iPad, and wait a bit before moving over to the Mac.
And you need to make sure that you have synced iOS Scrivener before going outside.

No.

“Need to remember” does not have anything to do with “slow down”. It’s about “speed up”, todo list and anxiety. Even if you sloooowly put on your shoes and slooooowly walk to the nearest park or library (a highly improbable situation nowadays, of course) with a public wifi spot, you can still not be quite sure when exactly you used the home computer, and wifi might be broken. So… no matter how slow you are trying to do things, you still cannot use Scrivener. Because if you do, and if for some reason it’s not fully synchronized, your project will be messed up, no matter how quietly you sit and how patient you are.

It works in an ideal situation where wifi is everywhere and never breaks down, we always have extra 5-10 minutes before leaving, Scrivener never crushes during synchronization etc. Real world is slightly different.

No, real world is what you do with it.
It’s not about what happens when you’ve left. It’s all about what you do before that.

It’s all about giving the Mac time to finish things before closing it down, and to sync the iPad after that.
And vice versa when you get home. Sync the iPad Scrivener immediately, then start the Mac and give it time to download changes.

As long as you remember that there are three computers involved and which need time to communicate, everything works just fine.
So it’s all about patience.

Well, I still don’t understand why you use the term “slowing down”, describing something directly opposite (remember this, do that, and definitely do not forget this), but never mind. The fact remains: when I’m outside the ideal circumstances, the ultimate app dedicated for writing cannot be used for writing, while everything else still does the job.

I say “slow down” because you need to give things time. Sync is never an instant process. It always take time. Sometimes more, sometimes less, and it’s the same for all cloud services.

Of course iOS Scrivener can be used for writing. That’s what I use it for, and often on airplanes without access to WiFi. So I don’t understand what’s stopping you.

I already described several times what’s stopping me, and you already mentioned that sometimes you have to use Drafts instead of Scrivener, so I don’t understand what you don’t understand. When an app needs ideal circumstances to function properly, it means that it is not a fully functional app. It might have been in 2011, but not in 2021. Everything I use now synchronizes without any effort from my part. I don’t have to slow down, to speed up, to remember, to quietly sit and wait for 10 minutes trying not to touch the ipad etc. – the apps just sync all by themselves.

Not Scrivener.

Yes, simpler apps sync in a simpler fashion, but not instantly. You have just been happy not to have any hickups with those, yet. :wink:

Scrivener does not need ”ideal” circumstances. Just some common sense.
You asked for ”good habits” and that’s what I described.

I am not sure that other apps can be classified as “simpler”, and that Scrivener is the most complicated piece of software ever created, but anyway: other synchronized apps do have hiccups from time to time, exactly. Sometimes things are broken and need a fix. Normally (99% of time) they run and synchronise smoothly.

Unlike them, Scrivener synchronization requires man power, “slowing down”, “good habits” and other investments of time and effort by design. Everyday. Every time you want to switch the gadget and/or ambience.

And this is a huge problem.

1 Like

No, it’s reality. :slight_smile:
Scrivener IS a complicated and very capable software. But it’s up to everyone to decide if they want to use it, and if so if they are prepared to get some ”good habits”.
If the answer is no, don’t use it, or risk losing work. It’s a free choice. :smiley:

The sync from the Mac to Dropbox should happen whenever Scrivener autosaves. So the autoclose isn’t necessary, but is a useful bit of extra insurance. If the autoclose isn’t closing, that’s a separate issue.

If you fail to synchronize the iPad, then go somewhere without WiFi, I’m not sure how it’s Scrivener’s fault that the iPad doesn’t have the most current version of the project. In this context, “good synchronization habits” would involve being sure to synchronize before you go somewhere that doesn’t have WiFi.

If you do find yourself “stuck” with an unsynced iPad, the safest way to manage it is to duplicate the document you want to work on, and then work in the duplicate. Then when you synchronize again, the server version will update the original (if there are changes), but won’t overwrite the work you did in the duplicate. Even safer would be to use a completely separate “Inbox” project for remote notes only, but that’s probably not practical in all situations.

If Scrivener is crashing without synchronizing, that’s a separate issue. In fact, there’s a known bug that appears to have been fixed in the most recent iOS update. Have you installed it?

Katherine

The fact that Scrivener on the iPad cannot synchronize without a human being involved in the process is a huge problem. Yes, it’s Scrivener fault, not mine: I didn’t design it that way. I cannot even think about an app I used in the last 10-15 years that required “good habits”. In 1998 there were plenty of them, indeed. In 2003, maybe. But in 2021? Not synchronizing on the background? Taking 5-10 min each time, with no possibility to use other apps during synchronization? Really?

Scrivener for iPad has to develop “good habits”, not the users.

Yes, the newest update is 4 months old. Still crashing.

Overall I’m following the advice above and do not use Scrivener on the iPad until I absolutely have to, but every time it’s a huge disappointment (not only because of synchronisation and crashing, there are other issues, too).

1 Like

No, the newest update of iPadOS was just a week ago or so. It solved syncing problems for lots of users.

I can think of plenty of apps that can’t sync without a WiFi connection, though, which is the specific thing you were referring to.

Katherine

“without a human being involved in the process” means on the background, automatically. Plenty of these apps. All of them.