Novel-in-a-Day 9½ - SPECIAL APOCALYPSE EDITION

I’ve been worried all day! :mrgreen:

I’d like to second that! Rog is amazing!

Writing about the White House during an apocalypse helped me forget about events in the real dystopian world.
Keep safe and healthy, everyone!

I’m good now. My daughter thinks I have lost my mind, but that’s normal for this household. Excited to see what we all put together. And it sounds like we may have had the same chapter. Nothing apocalyptic in my brief. But I did learn there are a lot of rooms in the White House and they’re not willing to share just what kind of security systems they have installed. :smiley:

Roberta Miguel is Speaker of the House (aka Nancy Pelosi) and third in line after POTUS and VPOTUS. In my chapter, a real Mata Hari.

She doesn’t appear in my brief -and there’s a huge cast of characters who work for the President.
In my chapter the most exciting event was the demise of the mobile phone and then the lights went off!

Huh. In my version, she’s a halfling weaponsmith who falls in love with the unicorn the aliens bring in to handle the EMP generator. Roberta’s only an advisor to White House security. But maybe she becomes Speaker in a later chapter?

Hmmm. Did yiou get a set of bios at the end of your brief? She’s in there along with the president, vice president and mayor of DC. If not, I fear that the Pigfender is playing devious games with us! I have set aside several days of isolation to read, compare and annotate all 12 versions. (Far too much spare time)

BTW, I added a minor character named Prof Roger Pigfender, a befuddled scientist. Will I be excised from the final compendium?

This is highly likely. :smiling_imp:

The shoes keep dropping and the heads just roll.

I can’t find her. The only bios in my brief were male, mostly politicians, security staff and heads of intelligence. They had to travel from the situation room to the bunker in the White House.
Exciting, eh!

Ditto. Have now read my chapter and one other done by a friend and which are clearly from very different parts of the book … and am now totally intrigued about what is going on!

I’m honestly delighted with what I got to write today. It’s my first time participating in NIAD and I’ve had a blast.

I’m an American currently living in Texas (pray for me) and I moved here from D.C. I’m a D.C.-admitted attorney and have spent copious time in the Capitol building. Bonus: I lived in the U.K. as a teenager, so hopefully I didn’t bollocks up any of my spellings. :smiley:

For those wondering: the West Wing actually does a really solid job on the administrative law front; things go faster than they do in real life, but otherwise it’s spot on.

I’m six hours behind England right now, so I got started on this last night before I went to bed. I then woke up, finished writing it, ate lunch, then went in for a SPAG edit and polish.

My 3300 words got turned in exactly one hour ahead of the deadline and I am excited to see how it all comes together. It’s particularly interesting, to me, to have no idea where your chapter falls in the overall story. Reading others’ comments, it looks like mine is likely towards the end, but… that’s it.

Thanks for this adventure, y’all. I’ve had such fun.

when does the final novel become available to read ?
the continuity task done by rog is gargantuan,
i cant believe he does this in a matter of hours.
he must be super scrivener

All day long I’ve been reading the posts, and almost convinced Piggy REALLY screwed up and sent me a chapter brief from one of the years I skipped … because NONE of the characters and locations and events you all were talking about were mentioned in my briefing.

Didn’t help when I got the delayed delivery of three messages from Piggy saying there was ‘an error’ in the brief I was sent, Hmmm.

I think I’ve figured it out. We had one of those time travel caused split into two futures thingies happen and I’m in a different reality from all of youse. Hmm. Hilary’s the president where you are, right?

I put a side note in my chapter that Federal agents had been sent to scout the museums for a steam boiler (amongst a generous range of other plot threads, haha) - maybe they’ll end up together in the same novel! :smiley:

Brand new to this. And after reading these comments, I’m genuinely looking forward to seeing how these chapters stitch together.

Ooh, I had a Roberta chapter too (but an early one)! Sounds like you took her in an interesting direction!

I had Roberta, Too! Hmmm… her having a “steamy” side could explain some things from her past. Very interesting.

Also, I second the sentiments about how much a pleasure it has been to participate during the most bizarre of times. The only problem is getting back into reality (after a long afternoon nap) and deciphering what’s really happening at the White House and what’s going on in this storyline. Ha! Some days it seems like a fantasy version of D.C. put together in a hurry by a bunch of quarantined writer types would be better for humanity than the current goings-on. On second thought, maybe we are in some sort of Mad-Lib altered existence written by a second grade class? Hmmm…

At any rate, all the best to everyone - can’t wait to read the books! (from Minnesota, in the US)

I got Roberta but I envisioned her as a decent person who thrived in the political spotlight. :astonished: