Novel-in-a-Day 9½ - SPECIAL APOCALYPSE EDITION

no… it would have impacted ALL electrical including cars that are not diesel. Any non-dieseling ICE would be non-fuctional as they require battery and generator.

It is hard to imagine any diesel car/truck today not using some essential electronics in the chain, e.g. for the fuel injection. But then I don’t inject fuel for a living like Jaysen does, so maybe I just don’t know?

-gr

P.S. There is a key question here about whether we are talking fried electronic circuits (ala emp), b/c that really is an effect on electronics per se, not all electrical things. Right? So, a simple flashlight, for example, would be uneffected. But the description seems to imply we are dealing with something much more throughly pervasive. As in /nothing/ electrical works?

Based on my brief it is not IC that is problematic. it is ALL electrical circuits. Note that batteries are impacted. At that level ANYTHING electric will fail.

My 1975 MG had no integrated circuit (pre electronic ignition). It still requires electric to run (condenser is a capacitor as is the coil). The would be fired in the event described. These technologies are core to all non diesel engines. That said, most motors prior to 19.75 use mechanical pumps for fuel and carburetors for air/fuel mixture (there were electronic versions for very very high performance vehicles).

Still… they would be dead dead dead.

ps. I’m an IT nerd by trade. That damn MG made me learn about cars.

Draft done at 2718. I may be able to get this in to Oinky oink oink before he’s awake!

Well… I’m done. 2779. I think that’s a lowerish number for me. I’ve been working to reduce the fluff.

I liked this one. Biggest problem for me is I still have a lot of rum left. Not sure how to solve this problem… No wait. I think I figured it out.

I don’t suppose you have any unclaimed chapters still hanging…
I just found out, have read all the rules, and am desperate to be part of NiaD Apocalypse Edition!

1,518 at Midnight in Vancouver.

I wrote my kids in, and there’s an squeezebox, but I haven’t decided if it’s a good accordion, or a bad one.

Governments and religions fall by decisions like this.

I am finding this brief extremely challenging.

Morning all.

Read through the brief at1220 (UK) and went to bed with my head filling with ideas .

What little I know of the White House is purely down to President Bartlett and his team in The West Wing - so who knows how my chapter will turn out for authenticity!!

Anyway, it’s now 0815, I’ve had my first coffee of the day and…I’d best get started.

I could write a ukulele into my chapter…our characters could jam together if everything goes pear-shaped for them. :smiley:

Wait… there are bad accordions?!

Hi everyone, I’m stuck!

I thought we were going to be writing The Road or The Hunger Games.

Instead, I’ve got to research what happens in the White House during some kind of nuclear attack. I mean I know very little about American politics, and nothing about the geography of the White House.

I have a dvd of the West Wing series 1 lying around somewhere here, but I haven’t got time to watch it today.

Harder still, I’ve got to imagine a popular Republican President. :open_mouth:

When I feel that – and I feel that a lot! – I always make sure I understand if my story is POOEE.
P -Protagonist - who is my protagonist for this scene?
O- Objective - what are they trying to achieve?
O - Obstacle - what is stopping them?
E - Escalation - what happens to make things harder / worse?
E - Ending - how am I going to resolve that objective (either successfully or not)
I find knowing that helps me on whatever scale I’m looking at – whether it’s a book, a chapter, a scene, or sometimes just a paragraph.
Plus I drink coffee.

Great TV show. Can’t go wrong.

If?

I’ve sent you an email with answers to some of your specific questions

There are, sadly, a great many types of apocalypse! My browsing history from the past 2 weeks will defeintely have me on a watch list! :smiley:

Google is your friend! businessinsider.com/white-h … -portico-4

Find a 5 minute clip on Youtube. It’s a great tv show! :smiley:

Now, now…!

Hi Pigfender,

Thanks for the email and your advice here.

Much appreciated!

I guess the point of this exercise is to get us out of our comfort zone.

It’s certainly doing that!

Perhaps the next NIAD can be a Fantasy genre and we can invent our own world?
Back to the research and writing… :smiley:

This is fantasy and you can invent the world! :smiley:

Talking about being out of comfort zones - my chapter seems to be all about electrical engineering and I have a BA in English!!
Let the technobabble commence!

:smiley:
It can be about electrical engineering or about electical engineers

Or about non-electrical engineers trying to help electrical engineers and being rubbish at it… :astonished:)