Novel-in-a-Day 9½ - SPECIAL APOCALYPSE EDITION

Fire in the hole !!!

Yo pork-sausage! Are we posting “real time bull manure” here or are you starting anew thread?

Here is good!

So nice to be in Australia where the timing is so much more civilised than the UK and daylight saving gives us an additional hour. At 10 am I read my brief over coffee and a croissant (all produced with copious electricity) and now I’m off!
Best wishes to all my collaborators and special thanks to Rog (even though he included US spellings - eg. ‘Defense’, in the brief)

Piggy is ALREADY telling me I can’t kill off the characters! I thought this was MY chapter. Now I have to add some gratuitous violence just to make the point the LOOOOONG way.

You can’t kill them if I kill them first.

But I go back in time and kill both of their parents …

Dude, that was, like, NIAD 8. As in done already.

You mean the Evil fire-spewing spider monsters from Alpha Ceti 6 haven’t already killed everybody except a plucky heroine, a handsome but oblivious nerd/scientist, an eight year old red-headed boy with freckles, and his trusty pitbull Petunia in your chapter?

IF YOU DON’T PAY ATTENTION TO HISTORY…

And if it isn’t holding rum I don’t pay attention!

Hunh, the only part of that which shows up in my chapter is the freckles.

1200 and I haven’t gotten past the first sentence of “chapter details”. I’m doomed.

Just checking on a couple of details:

Indented paragraphs, you want a tab rather than spaces, yes?

How about emphasis? Italics or bold, actual or marked with asterisks or something?

WOW - first time participant, I am having to research how the Oval Office functions - learning all sorts of things I wouldn’t have bothered to find out before :smiley:
Glad I didn’t get anything too gory to write about - phew…

Hi everyone. Well, it’s 3am and the questions seem to have died off on email so I’m going to nip off to bed for a few hours. Please do crowdsource wisdom if you need anything time sensitive, else I’ve respond to anything that’s come through when I wake up!

Best,
Rog.

tabs over spaces is general.
actual makes it easier for piggy.

No electronics means no cars manufactured since about the late 70s, when electronic ignition took over.

no… it would have impacted ALL electrical including cars that are not diesel. Any non-dieseling ICE would be non-fuctional as they require battery and generator.

It is hard to imagine any diesel car/truck today not using some essential electronics in the chain, e.g. for the fuel injection. But then I don’t inject fuel for a living like Jaysen does, so maybe I just don’t know?

-gr

P.S. There is a key question here about whether we are talking fried electronic circuits (ala emp), b/c that really is an effect on electronics per se, not all electrical things. Right? So, a simple flashlight, for example, would be uneffected. But the description seems to imply we are dealing with something much more throughly pervasive. As in /nothing/ electrical works?

Based on my brief it is not IC that is problematic. it is ALL electrical circuits. Note that batteries are impacted. At that level ANYTHING electric will fail.

My 1975 MG had no integrated circuit (pre electronic ignition). It still requires electric to run (condenser is a capacitor as is the coil). The would be fired in the event described. These technologies are core to all non diesel engines. That said, most motors prior to 19.75 use mechanical pumps for fuel and carburetors for air/fuel mixture (there were electronic versions for very very high performance vehicles).

Still… they would be dead dead dead.

ps. I’m an IT nerd by trade. That damn MG made me learn about cars.