Would so LOVE to see Scrivener 3 for Windows during the Coronavirus Shutdown

Ti
TinaInWonderland
Platform: Windows

Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:46 pm Post

I know the big release can't be rushed, I totally understand, but I have to say that I would absolutely LOVE to have the full new version of Scrivener 3 to distract me from the all virus news. It's on top of my wish list and would help me focus on my writing career during this stressful time.

I hope all of y'all are safe, healthy, and doing as well as you can while the world is on temporary shutdown. Best wishes to you all.

Am
Amcmo

Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:47 pm Post

TinaInWonderland wrote:I know the big release can't be rushed, I totally understand, but I have to say that I would absolutely LOVE to have the full new version of Scrivener 3 to distract me from the all virus news. It's on top of my wish list and would help me focus on my writing career during this stressful time.

I hope all of y'all are safe, healthy, and doing as well as you can while the world is on temporary shutdown. Best wishes to you all.

Win V3 is here, just in a free (yes, free) beta. There are some remaining bugs but the writing components works just fine.

Some of us have the luxury of also being Mac users which gets around the remaining compile issues, but the beta really is most useable.

Tough times indeed. My younger brother and partner spent the last days madly scrambling to get back to Aus before flights ceased and borders closed.

I’m lucky in that I’ve worked from home for years so very little adjustment there, but café visits are very much reduced.

As writers we may have a slight advantage in being able to immerse ourselves in our craft rather than go stir crazy staring at the walls.

‘Let’s be careful out there’ (Hill Street Blues)

en
endgame

Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:49 pm Post

Thanks for the recent reply. I'd take the beta leap, if I weren't still so unskilled at the version I am using. ;) I do have to ask, though, if the plans for official release are anywhere near soon? If it's the state it's in by your account, I'd think so. I'm just more comfortable using a current version, especially if it adds to my experience at all. <--- Read that, makes anything easier. Again, thanks.

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:42 am Post

endgame wrote:I do have to ask, though, if the plans for official release are anywhere near soon?

You can ask, but L&L no longer give timelines or release dates. There have been some hints they hope to release it soon but no real definition of what soon is, nor is that tied to a specific timeline.

Also remember that in some translations, Jesus said he was coming back soon, so...
--
Devin L. Ganger
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

Am
Amcmo

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:45 am Post

Also remember that in some translations, Jesus said he was coming back soon, so...

In Universe timelines, what is soon? 2000, 3000, 30,000 years?

Thankfully the second coming of Scrivener Win, aka V3 should be much quicker.

Ge
George Williams
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:46 pm Post

I made the mistake of buying the Scrivener bundle for WIndows and Mac last year April .
Sales pitch in the bundle was that Scrivener 3 was on its way and you could upgrade when it arrived.

I think it is safe to conclude that Literature and Latte does not deliver on promise for what it sells and I am frustrated about that as I bought the bundle for a reason. I need cross platform tools considering the different platforms I have to work on.

The bare minimum absolute very least that Literature and Latte should do is to learn to be transparent and trustworthy.
* Be honest and transparent on where you are with your development by giving regular (far more than annual) updates.
* Communicate a date and commit to it. Worst case if you don't make the date you communicate why you did not achieve it and what is outstanding.

je
jesuslpgc
Platform: Mac

Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:55 pm Post

devinganger wrote:
endgame wrote:I do have to ask, though, if the plans for official release are anywhere near soon?

You can ask, but L&L no longer give timelines or release dates. There have been some hints they hope to release it soon but no real definition of what soon is, nor is that tied to a specific timeline.

I haven't gone anywhere, as a matter of fact, as most Madrid citizens I happen to be locked up at my place and.... ah, OK...

Am
Amcmo

Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:45 pm Post

George Williams wrote:I made the mistake of buying the Scrivener bundle for WIndows and Mac last year April .
Sales pitch in the bundle was that Scrivener 3 was on its way and you could upgrade when it arrived.

I think it is safe to conclude that Literature and Latte does not deliver on promise for what it sells and I am frustrated about that as I bought the bundle for a reason. I need cross platform tools considering the different platforms I have to work on.

The bare minimum absolute very least that Literature and Latte should do is to learn to be transparent and trustworthy.
* Be honest and transparent on where you are with your development by giving regular (far more than annual) updates.
* Communicate a date and commit to it. Worst case if you don't make the date you communicate why you did not achieve it and what is outstanding.

And why Was it a mistake?

You have V3 Mac and free access to the Win V3 beta. Between them you can do everything. The beta is very useable and the only area of major concern is compile, which works fine on Mac.

L&L have been very transparent with regular updates via the beta releases with a list of fixes. They have stated it will be released when ready. They made the mistake of giving a couple of expected release dates which couldn’t be achieved because of additional bugs found and have since consistently said they will not give estimates as a beta program is a moving target, it depends on bugs being identified by users and developers finding how to fix them.

You obviously have no experience with software development. Giving a firm date as you demand is dumb in the extreme and I could point you to Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, IBM Google, and many others who have done this and failed to deliver many times over and they have resources thousands of times greater than L&L.

Get off L&L’s back, enjoy the great software you already have and focus on more important things than bitching because the very useable beta V3 doesn’t have a full released version number yet. Let their two developers focus on getting the job done rather than wasting time giving you ‘regular updates’.

DavidR

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:17 pm Post

jesuslpgc wrote:
devinganger wrote:....

I haven't gone anywhere, as a matter of fact, as most Madrid citizens I happen to be locked up at my place and.... ah, OK...

Jesús, :lol: :lol: :lol:
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

Am
Amcmo

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:27 pm Post

I’ll pay on that one! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DavidR

Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:28 pm Post

George Williams wrote:I made the mistake of buying the Scrivener bundle for WIndows and Mac last year April .

I understand the frustration. I don't know what the exact wording was on which you relied, but it does remain true that Scrivener 3 is on the way, and you will be able to upgrade when it gets here. But, if you hadn't been using Scrivener before and were eager for the full cross-platform experience, I can imagine that the delay would be aggravating.

OTOH ... L&L does give an indication of the development process in the beta release notes. As for announcing a date and then communicating why it was missed ... well, they tried that, and got about the same as what you're posting here. It may not seem so, but it is actually more responsible for a developer not to announce a release date, because it is of the nature of complex software programming to be, well, complex. A butterfly flaps its wings in line 1123, and a unicorn dies in line 927. Release dates inevitably get postponed; or really inadequate software gets released right on time. Either way generates about the same, or greater, levels of user dissatisfaction as just not announcing. I suppose the smart thing to do would be to announce that the upgrade will be released on Feb. 29, 2024; and then when it comes out almost 4 years early you seem like a superstar.
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

JJ
JJSlote

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:28 am Post

TinaInWonderland wrote:I know the big release can't be rushed

Nor should the Coronavirus Shutdown be needlessly prolonged, careful what you wish for. 8)

theswede
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:18 pm Post

devinganger wrote:Also remember that in some translations, Jesus said he was coming back soon, so...

Matthew 24:34, Mark 13:30, Luke 21:32 (NRSV)
"Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place."

Hopefully we won't have to wait two millennia for Scrivener 3 for Windows though. :)
Jesper Anderson SA5NEO
Computer scientist. Software engineer. Scifi writer. Scuba diver.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:29 pm Post

theswede wrote:Matthew 24:34, Mark 13:30, Luke 21:32 (NRSV)
"Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place."

Now that should be a rather reliable prediction for Win Scriv 3 as well, don't you think? I mean, "this generation" should cover a few decades, shouldn't it?

Remember, patience is a virtue and "Rome wasn't built in a day". :)

PS. About the OP title: What's the opposite of shutdown? Shutup? :D
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Sp
Spirantz

Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:18 pm Post

Amcmo wrote:

And why Was it a mistake?

L&L have been very transparent with regular updates via the beta releases with a list of fixes. They have stated it will be released when ready. They made the mistake of giving a couple of expected release dates which couldn’t be achieved because of additional bugs found and have since consistently said they will not give estimates as a beta program is a moving target, it depends on bugs being identified by users and developers finding how to fix them.

You obviously have no experience with software development. Giving a firm date as you demand is dumb in the extreme and I could point you to Microsoft, Adobe, Apple, IBM Google, and many others who have done this and failed to deliver many times over and they have resources thousands of times greater than L&L.

Get off L&L’s back, enjoy the great software you already have and focus on more important things than bitching because the very useable beta V3 doesn’t have a full released version number yet. Let their two developers focus on getting the job done rather than wasting time giving you ‘regular updates’.

Expecting a customer to have a working knowledge of the software development process is both unreasonable and very unfair. This person has every right to be upset. People have been waiting for this update for years. I agree that they jumped the gun and have been very irresponsible in their promises.

It's not going to change anything now, but blaming the customers for being upset isn't the way to go. A customer should NEVER be expected to use a beta version of a software. If you know anything of the software development cycle yourself, you should be perfectly aware of this.

They've marketed and programmed themselves into a corner. Simple as that. L&L have shown that they do not have the resources to complete what they started in a reasonable timeline. After such a long period of time, it's only natural that customers become irate and start looking for alternatives. After so much time has passed, everything becomes empty words.

I'm not trying to bash L&L here. I'm just saying that anything an irrate customer says at this point is perfectly justified. Show them more respect or don't say anything at all. If you're a developer yourself, you should know this. Don't vent your personal frustrations out on your customers.