Lions, and tigers, and...viruses?

So how’re y’all holding up? Making TP forts with your pets, yet?

Now see, if this were the plot to A Quiet Place, I would get the desire for as much acoustic padding as possible. :smiley:

Otherwise, kind of like this:

Not enough TP to make a fort. No pets. I’ve never thought of myself as a social person—but I miss so much already. Hockey games. My writing group. My favourite coffeehouse. (Yes, I can go there for takeout, but it’s not the same as settling in with a monster Americano and people watching when I take a break from writing.)

I’m desperate enough to watch old Dodgers games on TV…

Yeah, we freelancing introverts, too, so it’s kind of life as usual. Fortunately one of the big Bruins fans is putting games up on his youtube channel, so that scratches the hockey itch. We’re OK on toilet paper for the moment. Hopefully people will stop panic-buying by the time we run out.

This is when being an antisocial b*stard pays off!

really, most of my life is spent face on screen working with people halfway around the world 24x7. The part that isn’t doing “that” is fishing, sailing on a 12’ fishing I built or hiding from phone/pager under my bed. to me this is more “I glad to see you all in my world” than “I’M STUCK LIVING IN A SMALL WORLD”

Don’t get me wrong, NiaD will be a welcome change of pace.

Bruins games??? Please post or PM the URL! If I can’t get LA Kings I’ll for sure watch Bruins.

(And the Kings were actually winning before the “pause”…) :frowning:

I’m mainly just annoyed that all of the apocalypse movies I’ve watched and games I’ve played got it wrong - although they are apparently they are making The Last of Us into an HBO series, which gives them a chance to redress things and have it start, shortly after the news of the Cordyceps virus breaks, with people mass-buying toilet paper and cereal.

Really, though, things aren’t great - UK schools have just been closed and exams cancelled, which really puts a huge question mark over what is going to happen with my son’s qualifications, as he’s in his GCSE year. Of course keeping people safe is the most important thing, but who’d have thought we’d be living through something like this?

On the plus side, I have been self-isolating for years, like others here!

Yesterday I was watching the sobering news become ever more sobering and saying to my wife that Wow, This Changes Everything, and she said How, for you, exactly? You’ve been sitting in the same chair pecking at a keyboard since the Disco Crisis. And you primarily socialize with trees.

:laughing:

Mark

I would have replied “but now there is no one else to bear the burden of the trees sorrows”.

And kudos to Mrs Ahab for not prefixing “trees” with “dead”.

Yeah…I don’t see how a lot of things can go back to “normal” after this. I mean, optimistic estimates say only 1.1 million Americans will die, if we all lock down everything weeks ago. And…yeah. I keep thinking back to my great-grandmother’s stories of the Spanish Flu. Thankfully, she was too young to really grasp the horror of it, so we were left with the stories of not being able to play hide-and-seek in the Chicago Art Institute, where the marble kept things cool in the summer.

It is an interesting experience when all around you look at the latest death stats for the words " old/elderly with underlying health problems/issues" and, when found, breathe a huge sigh of relief.

I tend to point to myself and say, hang on they are ME. …Age 63 with heart disease… but otherwise fit as a fiddle.

Breathe a sigh of relief at my death and I will fucking haunt you! :slight_smile:

The loss of an entire generation would profoundly hurt those left behind in many, many different ways. Plus, it says to those vulnerable that they’re expendable, which they very much aren’t. Or: why we’re sitting our asses at home on a 65-degree, sunny afternoon.

Of course, it’s allergy season, so we’ve both been sniffly, coughing, and feeling like something’s coming on. Occam’s razor, when the parking lot next to our place is covered in yellow tree gunk, right?

It is also “regular flu season” here … that means every sniffle, cough, fever is fostering panicked screams of “I HAVE MEXICAN BEER VIRUS!!!”

It’s even more amusing when you’re afflicted with seasonal allergies, as I am. You get the hairy eyeball every time you sneeze. :open_mouth:

I must say I’ve never seen anything like this. The library I work at has just moved to its new location and was actually scheduled to open last Monday…until the board called that off. We on the staff worked last week answering the phones and helping patrons with as many online resources as possible and were going to do the same this week, but now the local government has closed all county buildings so we can’t even go in.

Since I’ve been griping for a while about always having to go out somewhere when there’s a ton to be done at home, I’m not going to complain much. Who knows, I might even get some writing done. :mrgreen:

In Feb I had influenza A (positive test). That turned in to bronchitis. That is still with me. I get yelled at sitting on my balcony hacking up a lung sucking on an inhaler. My wife takes me on emergency food runs just to clear out the store at this point. She claims someone asked to borrow me to get quicker access to the drug store. I think she is pulling my leg on that one.

Just spotted this thread. Actually, I’ve just spotted this section of the forum, I’ve never scrolled this far down before. :smiley:

So, how is everyone doing? The UK went into lockdown the day the last post was made so we’ve just started the 9th week. I was already working from home before that then I was furloughed on April 1st, I kid you not. That was until the end of may but I expect that to be extended for another couple of months. Still, more time to write, eh?

Everything is pretty much as usual where I live, in northern Sweden, except that all universities were told to move to distance education the first days in March. So I don’t have to commute to work (a 45 min drive each way). Instead I talk with colleagues and students via zoom, walk my dog, ride my horse, enjoy the late spring. Feels more like a privilige.

But then Sweden decided not to do a full-scale lockdown. Schools up to 9th grade (16 y olds) are open , public transportation open, shops open, etc. But public gatherings has an upper limit of 50 persons, which means almost all sports are stopped.

And the death rate is still way below the levels in e.g. UK, although higher than in Norway and Finland, and is slowing down now. Half of the deaths have been in Stockholm, which means that the rest of the country has had really low frequencies of sickness and deaths.

So, mostly life is quite normal. Although I do miss Formula 1. :frowning:

We’re getting by. Our state is starting to reopen some things, even though there are still over 100 deaths a day. Masks are mandatory, although there’s a not-insignificant amount who think their freedom is being impinged upon. This crisis is really showing the best and worst of people, that’s for certain.

I started doing that when i ran out of movies and series to watch(I actually watched friends once again)! things might not be getting worse but they sure are not getting any better either.