Scrivener iOS syncing via Dropbox continues to crash the app

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:20 pm Post

Thanks Derick. My iPad is about 6 years old, an iPad2 with software 12.4.

This is exclusively an issue with the iOS 13. Anyone using an older more stable OS should be perfectly fine. Anyone that can roll back their device and wait to upgrade should. I’m not upgrading my phone until Apple sorts out more bugs—from what I’ve seen on my seldom used iPad, it’s still beta quality in general.

It’s not so much the cost that concerns me as a synch going haywire and losing my project (I read of someone losing a project in a botched synch and then somehow it backed up and he (reckons) he lost 4 years work. It’d ruin your day, wouldn’t it? (I’ll save my project somewhere safe first).

The moral of these stories shouldn’t be to avoid using useful technology, but to never trust any technology whatsoever to protect your work. That is entirely up to you—make backups, always! One should even be backing up their device with iTunes regularly (and in turn the computer running iTunes should be constantly backed up), you are living on the edge if you don’t! Stuff like this really shouldn’t happen, but when it does, it really should never be catastrophic. It should be at most a half hour of recovery, but more optimally, the 30 seconds it takes to locate the previous zip and unzip it.

That said, I don’t know anything about “sync going haywire”. I suppose the closest I’ve heard to anything like that were not cases of the tech actually malfunctioning, but it taking instruction very literally and doing something unintended (in a human sense). E.g. a person is on the road for a month with their device, comes home and fires up the Mac to start working on their project before oops, realising its the old version, and in a panic hits the sync button on their iPad. They’ve just told the software that they want to overwrite the month of work they did with the technically newer copy on the Mac. We get one or two stories like this every year, but of course only from those that don’t make backups. The ones that make backups realise they made a mistake and fix it in 30 seconds.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

RJ
RJO
Platform: Windows

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:27 pm Post

AmberV wrote:This is exclusively an issue with the iOS 13. Anyone using an older more stable OS should be perfectly fine. Anyone that can roll back their device and wait to upgrade should.

In regards to rolling back a device, that ship appears to have sailed months ago:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/ca ... explainer/

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:33 pm Post

You can still roll back; you just can't do so with iTunes. Please see my directions for how to roll back with the iMazing app in this thread: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=58881

Hope this helps!
  • Fiction-writer curled up on her TP hoard.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.5, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.15.6 (Catalina)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.2.1; iPad 6; i(Pad)OS 14.0.1

kewms
Platform: Mac

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:26 pm Post

JerryA wrote:Thanks Derick. My iPad is about 6 years old, an iPad2 with software 12.4. Maybe I’ll go ahead and instal Scrivener. It’s not so much the cost that concerns me as a synch going haywire and losing my project (I read of someone losing a project in a botched synch and then somehow it backed up and he (reckons) he lost 4 years work. It’d ruin your day, wouldn’t it? (I’ll save my project somewhere safe first).

As Ioa said, this is exclusively an iOS 13 issue. There are *no* reports from any other version of iOS.

*However,* that does not mean that no one has ever had synchronization issues or lost data with other versions. The vast majority of data losses actually come from successful, but misguided synchronization attempts: the user accidentally syncs an old version on top of the new one, and Dropbox happily complies. If synchronization fails completely, as in this case, you'll need to use some other method to transfer your project from Device A to Device B, but both versions of the project will remain intact.

The moral of the story? Make backups. Always.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Thomas Rabenstein

Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:54 pm Post

Just a quick note: I have upgraded to iPadOs 13.3.1 and it does not solve the problem. Sync still aborts.
Writer/Author/Selfpublisher in fulltime
Mac/iOs User

Am
Amcmo

Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:29 pm Post

Thomas Rabenstein wrote:Just a quick note: I have upgraded to iPadOs 13.3.1 and it does not solve the problem. Sync still aborts.

Have you tried the fixes to see if any of those work for you with this version?

de
derick

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:52 am Post

If you look at the release notes for 13.3.1 it's just a bunch of small specific bug fixes, nothing that suggests it would fix this issue.

Thomas Rabenstein

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:52 am Post

Amcmo wrote:Have you tried the fixes to see if any of those work for you with this version?

Yes, but it has no effect. The problem is still there.
Mac/iOs User

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:20 pm Post

Thanks for the update, Thomas.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Thomas Rabenstein

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:10 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Thanks for the update, Thomas.

You are welcome. Always.
Mac/iOs User

ke
keyladamaer

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:24 pm Post

drmajorbob wrote:In the "Scrivener users" Facebook group
... with 12,173 users
... 10 hours after posting the poll

I have TWO users reporting the crash.

I'll post the poll again in a couple of days.

Dropbox crash poll.png

Facebook algorithm hides posts to a great deal of users. Unless they set to receive all notifications for all posts on the group,they won't see the poll. And even with that setting, FB may still hide the post. It happens to me all the times. I check manually certain groups. Like I told you on another occasion, I saw the poll because we are friends and I set that group to notify me about posts from friends.

on
oneadem

Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:38 pm Post

It's mid Feb 2020 and problem persists on my new ipad running v 13.3.1, with fresh Scrivener install.

Note: on first use, with no Scrivener projects in the Scrivener app, instead of the box asking where to sync when I tap the sync circle, the downloading file list runs 40 seconds then shuts down Scrivener. Zero files sync.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox and Scrivener to no avail.

This renders Scrivener ios useless to me. :cry:

iPersuade

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:14 pm Post

It’s a frustrating bug for L&L, too because of the difficulty to get it to repeat reliably.

It’s not as convenient as automatic Dropbox sync, but you can sync manually through iCloud Drive and it works just fine. Have you tried it? If want to try it but you need detailed instructions, I can post them for you. You should read the recent post from (user) @drmajorbob:

drmajorbob wrote:
HathWrites wrote:25% and counting stops being a minority and starts being a significant market share.
I say "and counting" because as you read through the 28 pages of this topic, you see every now and then people arriving, saying "I have bought the latest devices/upgraded to the latest iOS version and now I have this issue", meaning that as more and more people transition to lastest devices/iOS versions

Any share is a significant market share; Literature & Latte DOES care about the users ...

But it's a small minority.

a) Polls always count a self-selected sample. Folks who DON'T have a problem are far less likely to answer. People with a DIFFERENT sync problem will answer as if they're affected by this one. Et cetera.

b) If no one in Cornwall or the Windows team in Australia saw an example in 5 months, the % affected must be small. Is it 5%, 1%, or 0.1%? No idea. But it's not 25%.

c) Newer devices are not the only ones affected, so adding more new devices won't necessarily up the percentage affected. The only clear pattern is the presence of iOS13 or iPadOS. A few users are still on 12, and going to 13 could add more problem devices ... but maybe they don't have to go to 13.

d) In 408 posts in this thread, the number of unique users is (guessing) 50 or less. The rest are duplicate posts by the same user, Literature & Latte responses, and posts like mine, trying to counsel calm.

and

e) There's a perfectly viable sync process through iCloud Drive and the iOS Files app. It takes a little more effort, but you CAN get your work done. Who knows, it may even be safer than automatic Dropbox syncs.

gyokusai

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:57 pm Post

The problem persists and persists and now my little trick with removing one file on my Mac from the Scrivener folder, syncing, then adding it again, then syncing again, doesn’t work anymore because now I have another peristent error message on my iPad that I can’t get rid off, see attachment.

During the last months, I went from using Scrivener on my iPad daily and even more often than on my Mac to using it less and less to avoiding it when I can and now I think I’m done and won’t use it any longer. It was great while it lasted, but I’m exhausted.
Attachments
2020-02-19 23.37.33.jpg
2020-02-19 23.37.33.jpg (140.93 KiB) Viewed 1994 times
----------------------
iMac Retina 5K 27-inch (Late 2015) | macOS 10.14.6
iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd Gen | iPadOS 13.3.1

ma
matthiasruot

Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:34 am Post

See my workaround to continue to work despite the synchronization bug we are facing since IOS 13.

1. Be sure to get a synchronisation to start with. If not possible create a similar project.
2. Work with iPad all the day and at the end of the day, you can not synchronize anymore.
(3. Try several times. Sometimes it can work)
4. Open the old version on scrivener Mac and close it without changing anything. The system records a save from that time.
5. Synchronise from your iPad, and now you can get the synchronisation
6. You can see in Conflits folder the previous version of the files you modified during the day

Hope this help