Scrivener iOS syncing via Dropbox continues to crash the app

How old is your iPad? Mine is from 2017 and syncs fine with iOS 13. My iPhone is a current model and doesn’t sync one project. If you’re not using a brand new device with OS 13 you should be fine.

Thanks Derick. My iPad is about 6 years old, an iPad2 with software 12.4. Maybe I’ll go ahead and instal Scrivener. It’s not so much the cost that concerns me as a synch going haywire and losing my project (I read of someone losing a project in a botched synch and then somehow it backed up and he (reckons) he lost 4 years work. It’d ruin your day, wouldn’t it? (I’ll save my project somewhere safe first).

This is exclusively an issue with the iOS 13. Anyone using an older more stable OS should be perfectly fine. Anyone that can roll back their device and wait to upgrade should. I’m not upgrading my phone until Apple sorts out more bugs—from what I’ve seen on my seldom used iPad, it’s still beta quality in general.

The moral of these stories shouldn’t be to avoid using useful technology, but to never trust any technology whatsoever to protect your work. That is entirely up to you—make backups, always! One should even be backing up their device with iTunes regularly (and in turn the computer running iTunes should be constantly backed up), you are living on the edge if you don’t! Stuff like this really shouldn’t happen, but when it does, it really should never be catastrophic. It should be at most a half hour of recovery, but more optimally, the 30 seconds it takes to locate the previous zip and unzip it.

That said, I don’t know anything about “sync going haywire”. I suppose the closest I’ve heard to anything like that were not cases of the tech actually malfunctioning, but it taking instruction very literally and doing something unintended (in a human sense). E.g. a person is on the road for a month with their device, comes home and fires up the Mac to start working on their project before oops, realising its the old version, and in a panic hits the sync button on their iPad. They’ve just told the software that they want to overwrite the month of work they did with the technically newer copy on the Mac. We get one or two stories like this every year, but of course only from those that don’t make backups. The ones that make backups realise they made a mistake and fix it in 30 seconds.

In regards to rolling back a device, that ship appears to have sailed months ago:

digitaltrends.com/mobile/ca … explainer/

You can still roll back; you just can’t do so with iTunes. Please see my directions for how to roll back with the iMazing app in this thread: [url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/how-to-roll-back-to-an-earlier-ios-ipados-version-using-imazing/47312/1]

Hope this helps!

As Ioa said, this is exclusively an iOS 13 issue. There are no reports from any other version of iOS.

However, that does not mean that no one has ever had synchronization issues or lost data with other versions. The vast majority of data losses actually come from successful, but misguided synchronization attempts: the user accidentally syncs an old version on top of the new one, and Dropbox happily complies. If synchronization fails completely, as in this case, you’ll need to use some other method to transfer your project from Device A to Device B, but both versions of the project will remain intact.

The moral of the story? Make backups. Always.

Katherine

Just a quick note: I have upgraded to iPadOs 13.3.1 and it does not solve the problem. Sync still aborts.

Have you tried the fixes to see if any of those work for you with this version?

If you look at the release notes for 13.3.1 it’s just a bunch of small specific bug fixes, nothing that suggests it would fix this issue.

Yes, but it has no effect. The problem is still there.

Thanks for the update, Thomas.

You are welcome. Always.

Facebook algorithm hides posts to a great deal of users. Unless they set to receive all notifications for all posts on the group,they won’t see the poll. And even with that setting, FB may still hide the post. It happens to me all the times. I check manually certain groups. Like I told you on another occasion, I saw the poll because we are friends and I set that group to notify me about posts from friends.

It’s mid Feb 2020 and problem persists on my new ipad running v 13.3.1, with fresh Scrivener install.

Note: on first use, with no Scrivener projects in the Scrivener app, instead of the box asking where to sync when I tap the sync circle, the downloading file list runs 40 seconds then shuts down Scrivener. Zero files sync.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dropbox and Scrivener to no avail.

This renders Scrivener ios useless to me. :cry:

It’s a frustrating bug for L&L, too because of the difficulty to get it to repeat reliably.

It’s not as convenient as automatic Dropbox sync, but you can sync manually through iCloud Drive and it works just fine. Have you tried it? If want to try it but you need detailed instructions, I can post them for you. You should read the recent post from (user) @drmajorbob:

The problem persists and persists and now my little trick with removing one file on my Mac from the Scrivener folder, syncing, then adding it again, then syncing again, doesn’t work anymore because now I have another peristent error message on my iPad that I can’t get rid off, see attachment.

During the last months, I went from using Scrivener on my iPad daily and even more often than on my Mac to using it less and less to avoiding it when I can and now I think I’m done and won’t use it any longer. It was great while it lasted, but I’m exhausted.
2020-02-19 23.37.33.jpg

See my workaround to continue to work despite the synchronization bug we are facing since IOS 13.

1. Be sure to get a synchronisation to start with. If not possible create a similar project.
  2. Work with iPad all the day and at the end of the day, you can not synchronize anymore.
    (3. Try several times. Sometimes it can work)
  3. Open the old version on scrivener Mac and close it without changing anything. The system records a save from that time.
  4. Synchronise from your iPad, and now you can get the synchronisation
  5. You can see in Conflits folder the previous version of the files you modified during the day

Hope this help

Something curious happened last week after I’d deleted Scrivener from my iPad.

From time to time, for about two or three weeks, Dropbox had prompted me after logging in on my Mac for my admin pw to “change folder permissions.” This seemed to be the known “folder permissions” Dropbox bug, which usually doesn’t go away, no matter what you do. It can be suppressed with a series of terminal commands, but before I did that, I filled in my pw once to check what would happen, and whether the prompt would really come back the next day.

What happened was that Dropbox started to reindex all of my files, which took about two days (for 1.6TB) and annoyed the heck out of me. But after that, everything seemed to be okay, and the prompt never popped up again.

Naturally, I was curious if and how that would relate to the Scrivener sync problem, so I reinstalled Scrivener on my iPad. And what do you know, it synced like a charm, and has synced ever since now for over a week, both on iPadOS 13.3 and 13.3.1.

I know all this is very messy, and I know it won’t help solve the problem, or even answer the question whether it’s a Dropbox or an iOS bug.

But at least, I wanted to share this piece of information.

Interesting news, indeed, thanks for sharing that! It sounds as though in your case it was actually a bit of a malfunction that the Mac Dropbox client recovered from automatically. There is a way to force Dropbox to fully reindex, though it is unfortunately not a terribly friendly process! If anyone is willing to run them for a second confirmation, that would be greatly appreciated!

I tried this with great enthusiasm, but alas, it did not resolve the issue for me. I hope others try it and and works for them!

Just a reminder, for anyone keeping score at home: I have no Dropbox sync problem on my 2017 12.9” iPad Pro. It’s only happening on my iPhone 11 Pro. Both are completely updated with the latest OSes and software.