Bookmarks / Matching Text ???

Wow, what is this, how does it work under the hood (algorithm, procedure, method), how do I set it up, what does it spit out, how do I work with the results, what are its known limitations, what doesn’t it do, etc.? Is there a way to automate the construction of an index from the Matching Text function?

Is there a video tutorial for “Matching Text”?

Why I the world is it hidden under the Metadata / Bookmarks tab?

Thanks, Randall Lee Reetz

Did you check the manual? Section 13.4.4 talks about it.

Did I read manual? Yes. Doesn’t do a very good job of explaining. I read, twice, talked to a scrivener course teacher, attempted to use on docs in my project… and THEN posted my questions here.

My questions about “Matching Text” in list form:

1. What is it? What problem was it designed to solve?
  2. How does it work under the hood (algorithm, procedure, method)?
  3. How do I set it up?
  4. What does it spit out?
  5. How do I work with the results?
  6. What are its known limitations?
  7. What doesn’t it do?
  8. Is there a way to automate the construction of an index from the Matching Text function?
  9. Is there a video tutorial for “Matching Text”?
  10. Why is it hidden under the Metadata / Bookmarks tab?

Thanks, Randall Lee Reetz

From doing a quick search of all hits of “matching text” in the manual:

Section 9.7 page 204: “Sometimes the duplications will be to individual bits of text, rather than of whole documents. The Matching Text Finder (subsection 13.4.4) tool is designed to help with finding those.”

Section 11.1.3, page 264, under the heading Finding Duplications: “For cases where you are looking for matching fragments of text, down to the sentence level of granularity rather than wholly duplicated texts, the Matching Text Finder (subsection 13.4.4) tool will better help you.”

Section 13.4, page 324, “Matching Texts (subsection 13.4.4) is a tool for locating identical snippets of sentences or paragraphs throughout your project, using the currently inspected item as a source. Click the bookmark tabs header bar to switch to “Matching Text”, or use the ⌃⌘6 shortcut to switch directly to it, or back from it to the previously used Bookmark list.”

Section F.12, page 892, “Matching Text Finder. A tool has been added to the Inspector that will make it easy to find when one document quotes some text found within another document verbatim (up to and including the entirety of the document as a full duplicate). This will primarily be useful in ensuring you haven’t accidentally plagiarised any of your sources, but you may find it be generally useful as a tool for finding items which contain common snippets of text. Read more about the Matching Text Finder (subsection 13.4.4).”

Doesn’t answer some of your questions, but it does tell you what problem it is intended to solve and gives you a good description of how the tool works. As for why it’s part of the Inspector/Bookmarks, it keys off the item you are currently inspecting. As for the rest, looks like it would be some fun experimentation.