Scrivener iOS syncing via Dropbox continues to crash the app

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:37 pm Post

AmberV wrote:
gyokusai wrote:But as soon as I work on any Scrivener project on my Mac or iPad, sync breaks down again and I have to repeat the above prodecure.

That is likely because Scrivener doesn’t run a full file system scan if the top-level folders indicate no modification date change from the last sync. This way if you sync twice in a row, the second time you try it will simply detect nothing further needs to be done. It’s the same code that draws the icons on projects, indicating their current sync status.

But removing or adding a project to the sync folder from the Mac side makes syncing work, according to @gyokusai. Doesn’t that indicate the opposite from what you stated?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:44 pm Post

I was responding specifically to why no file list would be downloaded until projects have been modified. As I understand it, the checklist being described is a way they found to get the file list download working, and so conditions where the file list is not being generated in the first place are not relevant to whether it works or not.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

gyokusai
Platform: Mac

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:52 pm Post

lunk wrote:Does it suffice to have a really small, almost empty project to move out and back in?

Thanks for asking, I tried. Sadly, no—with a 100kb project, it didn’t work. Beats me why not, though.
----------------------
iMac Retina 5K 27-inch (Late 2015) | macOS 10.14.6
iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd Gen | iPadOS 13.3.1

ma
matthiasruot
Platform: Windows

Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:31 pm Post

I am sad that this post, after several month does not offer solutions.
I have got the problem since december
I could recover by restoring my projects one by one but the problem happened again.
I 100% agree with the symptoms described by the users.
It was working fine since several years.
Best regards

na
naquada

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:41 pm Post

Do we know the status of this bug? I'm wanting to upgrade my ageing iPhone 6 to an iPhone 11 Pro.. but that would mean going to iOS 13 and possibly encountering this bug? I use syncing quite a lot via dropbox between my iPhone and my Macbook Air... I assume syncing sounds fairly broken on iOS 13 ? therefor I'd go from a nice working fast sync on my current device to a broken one on my new iPhone or iPad running iOS 13 or iPadOS ?
Associate of The Inner Magic Circle

Thomas Rabenstein

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:11 pm Post

naquada wrote:Do we know the status of this bug? I'm wanting to upgrade my ageing iPhone 6 to an iPhone 11 Pro.. but that would mean going to iOS 13 and possibly encountering this bug? I use syncing quite a lot via dropbox between my iPhone and my Macbook Air... I assume syncing sounds fairly broken on iOS 13 ? therefor I'd go from a nice working fast sync on my current device to a broken one on my new iPhone or iPad running iOS 13 or iPadOS ?

Unfortunately, that was the case with me. I work with an iPad Pro (3rd generation) and everything worked great with iOs12. Since the upgrade to iOs13, syncing is no longer possible, no matter what I try. :shock:
Writer/Author/Selfpublisher in fulltime
Mac/iOs User

lunk

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:43 pm Post

naquada wrote: I assume syncing sounds fairly broken on iOS 13 ? therefor I'd go from a nice working fast sync on my current device to a broken one on my new iPhone or iPad running iOS 13 or iPadOS ?

No, not necessarily.
I run Scrivener on an iPone 11 Pro and a 3rd generation iPad Pro and syncing never stopped working for me. It's worked ever since I got iOS Scrivener.
For some it works, for some it doesn't, and based on what L&L have posted in here, it seems that those with problems are a minority of the users. The only problem is that you won't know until afterwards if it works or not.
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Thomas Rabenstein

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:56 pm Post

lunk wrote:For some it works, for some it doesn't, and based on what L&L have posted in here, it seems that those with problems are a minority of the users.

Could you please stop saying here that the users who have the problem are a minority? I'm getting really tired of this presentation. I have the latest equipment and operating system. It worked before and with iOs13 it doesn't anymore. If the problem is not an issue for you, and everything is working for you, be happy and don't play down the bug here all the time. :x
Mac/iOs User

lunk

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:04 pm Post

Thomas Rabenstein wrote:If the problem is not an issue for you, and everything is working for you, be happy and don't play down the bug here all the time. :x

When others ask about this they should be given correct information, don’t you think?
The previous poster asked if it is safe to upgrade and you said ”no”, without the additional information that for a lot of users it does work. So I provided that to give the poster something to base the decision on.
Why do you prefer biased information?

Thomas Rabenstein

Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:51 pm Post

lunk wrote: So I provided that to give the poster something to base the decision on.

I prefer above all that this problem is solved, because it hinders me in the production process. To say that the problem only affects a minority of users is biased information.
Mac/iOs User

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:05 pm Post

Thomas Rabenstein wrote:
lunk wrote: So I provided that to give the poster something to base the decision on.

I prefer above all that this problem is solved, because it hinders me in the production process. To say that the problem only affects a minority of users is biased information.

Do you have a complete list of who is having the problem? Do you have a complete list of who all bought and uses Scrivener? Do you have view into the support queues? Do you think L&L is lying about it, then? Because "minority of users" is how they have described the issue. Even so, they want to solve it. But when they can't cleanly reproduce the issue on a device the devs can do troubleshooting on, they can't fix it.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot

Thomas Rabenstein

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:32 pm Post

devinganger wrote:Do you have a complete list of who is having the problem? Do you have a complete list of who all bought and uses Scrivener? Do you have view into the support queues? Do you think L&L is lying about it, then? Because "minority of users" is how they have described the issue. Even so, they want to solve it. But when they can't cleanly reproduce the issue on a device the devs can do troubleshooting on, they can't fix it.

Some people simply have a talent for turning the words of others around, which is no longer fun. No, I don't think that L&L is lying, and yes, I think that L&L wants to get to the bottom of the problem. But I'm starting to get annoyed that some users speak here without having an overview themselves. I am personally on the side of L&L, although I have to fight with the problem myself. But I would never get the idea to answer the worried request of users by posting that they belong to a minority. Besides, my answer was not directed against L&L but against a certain post - just to make this clear. Careful reading sometimes helps to understand.
But to your questions: I have at least a small overview. Together with others, I manage a Facebook group with 780 authors who use Scrivener specifically. Of those who took part in a poll (not all of them use the iOs version), about a quarter said they had problems. Some have been helped by the recommended workaround, but that's no guarantee. These are not hard statistics, of course, and certainly not all users have responded and participated. But it is an indication that it does not affect a minority.
That's all I want to say. I hope for an early solution.
Mac/iOs User

lunk

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:46 pm Post

Thomas Rabenstein wrote:I would never get the idea to answer the worried request of users by posting that they belong to a minority.
- - -
Careful reading sometimes helps to understand.
- - -
about a quarter said they had problems.
- - -
But it is an indication that it does not affect a minority.

I answered someone who hasn't upgraded, not someone who has problems.
Careful reading does indeed help understanding, so I suggest you read my post again. I simply informed the poster that syncing works for a majority of users, according to L&L.

A quarter of a group is a minority, not a majority.

I am not saying that you don't have problems or that the problem isn't a serious one for those affected. I simply provided additional information when someone asked for info.

Thomas Rabenstein

Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:49 pm Post

lunk wrote:A quarter of a group is a minority, not a majority.

This dispute is getting us nowhere. We'd better end it.
Mac/iOs User

devinganger
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:26 pm Post

Thomas Rabenstein wrote:
lunk wrote:A quarter of a group is a minority, not a majority.

This dispute is getting us nowhere. We'd better end it.

Then stop asking people to stop repeating things that L&L has said.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Winner "Best in Class", 2018 My First Supervillain Photo Shoot