[LH4234] Search and "F3" Results Message [Beta 32]

Here is a bug I’m reporting for Win Beta 32.

Click “Search the Project”
Enter the value to search (in my case it is “technology”
Make sure its something within your documents.
Press “F3”
Message displayed “Not Found”.

Also, the last entry for searching brought up a title page I have that does not contain the word “technology”. The other 3 documents were correct.

Unless you limited your project search scope to the document text, the project search would return documents that contained your search term in metadata, synopsis, title, notes, etc. Might your title page document have included the term somewhere outside the main text? You might try narrowing the parameters (click the magnifying glass icon in the project search bar to bring up the menu) and see how that alters the results.

The “Not Found” issue might be the same cause–if the document in the editor didn’t contain the term within the main text, F3 (the “Find Next” shortcut for document find) would not return any results. Also note that running a project search does not change the document currently loaded in the editor, so that document (which received the focus of F3) might not have been part of the results.

If neither of these addresses the issue, try rebuilding the project’s search index via the command in the File menu.

I’m having trouble with global search too. All of my saved search collections (keywords) are returning empty, as is any new global search for a label, keyword, or status. Clicking “rebuild the search index doesn’t help,” and I’m not even sure it does anything since it only briefly opens a blank popup.

Likewise re collections. I had half a dozen saved collections each linked to a Status List and since updating to Beta 33 these are now all empty. I no longer seem to be able to search on Status List (which I have renamed as Tier) or on Labels (renamed as POV).

Are you using the RegEx search operator for these searches, or something else (or a mix of other things)? For the saved searches, if you click the magnifying glass in the search field to pull up the menu, are all the correct lines still checked marked?

If someone could share a sample project demonstrating the issue, that’d be great. You can either attach it here as a zip file or mail it to win3beta@literatureandlatte.com with a link to this thread. Thank you!

I am searching via the ticked components in the dropdown. For the saved collections all the right ticks were in place though I have now deleted my collections as I hoped I could easily recreate from scratch. Unfortunately I’m unable to share the project.

In Beta 33, any search for keywords, labels, or status fails. I’ve tried every combination of ticks I can think of – all the operators, included documents, excluded documents.

To make sure it wasn’t specific to existing projects, I deleted the Interactive Tutorial directory that I’d created from Beta 32 and created a new Interactive Tutorial from the Beta 33 menu. Searching for labels, status, etc. Fails there.

@Mimetic Motion: Do global searches for status, etc, work for yo;u in the Interactive Tutorial with Beta 33?

Windows 7 Home Premium
Scrivener 2.9.0.33 Beta

Updated to Beta 33 and have the same issue with keyword searches. I have numerous keywords and if attempting to search using the search tool built into the keywords dialog (bottom right), OR by using the search tool filtered on keywords (top left) no documents are found in the search results.

Windows 10 Pro
Scrivener 2.9.0.33

Additional observation: General search for words anywhere (which works) is lightening fast. Was always quick but WOW!

Thanks, guys, I’ve done some further testing with the different metadata types and filed a ticket for this. Hopefully we can get it resolved quickly.

Note, the ticket is only regarding the search failing to return proper results for different metadata types, not within the document text, synopsis, notes, or title. If you’re running into problems with that not working, please post more details and ideally a sample project demonstrating the issue. Thank you!

Thanks MM :slight_smile:

It’s really inconvenient not having those searches. Is it possible to roll back to an earlier version until this is resolved? Which version should I roll back to?

Appreciate the response. Knowing these reports are being read, and progress is being made is great! At the end of the day we are using a Beta product so things like this are to be expected. What separates you guys from many of the others is your willingness to be open and engage with your user community.

It’s funny that you say that. Between the search and the vanishing registrations, I’m not so certain that the Scrivener developers are even aware there is a forum.

To MM, the issue I’m having is that there is no “Jump to next in Search of Project.” There is a “Search Project” (Ctrl-G Ctrl-S), but it seems merely to narrow the documents list to matching documents, and to highlight the matches. It doesn’t support navigating to them. And there is a Find-in-Document (Ctrl-F), which does support “Find Next” (F3), but only within the current document.