Just about out of patience

Now before anyone gets all bitter and twisted, blog post by L&L.

They are being up front about it so give credit…

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/scrivener-3-for-windows-development-update?fbclid=IwAR2FhLfEPuZq8Cah1ZZKkZa89A-JmSDy631CqauslUw18ptgAxYNEB4kU1Q

Argentart, you still miss my point. If they are that disappointed, feel hard done by or ‘tricked’ into buying 1.9 on expectation of imminent V3, they could always have asked for a refund. I can’t imagine L&L would have said no.

It’s a bit like getting a bad hotel room or lousy meal. Speak up at the time, demand a refund or a move or shut up. No point bitching to all and sundry 4 months later.

Now I really will go for a walk and stay off this thread.

My dear authors,

yes, I‘m visiting this forum and the blog frequently, hoping v.3 is out now.
And yes, my inner patience is strained, too.
But let me ask you: Aren’t we, the writers, those ones, who should hold the banner of patience up high in our modern and fast running times? Aren’t we the ones, who should set more slo mo thinking into this stressed up world? Aren’t books (our products) that key media, that central counterweight of our hectic life?
Scrivener 1 is a superb piece of software, helping us to set free our ideas. So, why shouldn’t we able to wait, untill v.3 is as perfect as we need it. (Remember: When you are in the flow of writing, noting would be worse than something that pulls you out, as a buggy software does.).

And a final word: I‘m writing since 2008 on my main novel, and it’s still not finished, too. Yes, one reason is, that I‘m no professional all-time writer. But the missing v.3 of Scrivener isn’t the reason. (Hopely) Good things need their time. :wink:

I wish you a good flow, writer or developer.

I don’t know if this is a dumb analogy, but I’m sure it’s not quite an accurate one. The accurate analogy would not be that the car dealer says, “Pay for the upcoming model now, and drive this older one in the meantime,” but if they would say, “Buy this older model car at its usual price now, and you’ll get the new model for free when it’s done.” That would be a pretty irresistible deal, assuming the current model works well.

That is a good, straightforward post. If I were editing it, though, I would reword “reality couldn’t be further from the truth”–albeit I really like that absurd little clause. A quick search finds it all over the Internet, and incisively dissected by Mark Liberman at https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=1350

Thank you, pquadrat! That is the wisest thing said in these threads by far.

Apologies if my multipurpose post confuses anyone!

Unfortunately, that’s ‘goodnight’ from me. Decided to walk away from Scrivener today after another beta expired and continued delays on the release.

Look, I get it. We want a good product, you want a good product, they want a good product. But at the same time… we’re going into year 3 here. I purchased Scrivener ages ago and only started looking because of the rise of UHD screens (which made Scrivener’s text too blurry, despite trying multiple workarounds which all failed). But I held off and have been continuing to download the [many] beta releases of Scrivener 3.0, waiting patiently for the official rollout.

But enough’s enough. There are hungrier developers, companies, and programs out there who are filling the void a bit faster than you guys. And while I appreciate what you’ve made and the efforts you’re taking, I’m out.

F12 / General / Startup / Automatically check for updates

There. Fixed that for ya.

Posted on L&L Blog on Aug 30 2019 (considering the current state of affair, the year is actually important to note!):

So how many “not talking months” will it be?

It’s been four months for 2019 so far (Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec); and the new blog entry from Nov 28 2019 mentions

I figure it won’t be at the beginning of 2020. So another year going on like this?!

This has already been discussed within this very thread JensP.

Discussed? Hardly. At best, a statement was made that there will be no more potential release dates published. That’s not a discussion. From my perspective, L&L hasn’t posted anything in this forum hat’s in any form close to a discussion.

It may not be the discussion you want, but it’s the discussion we get, because entitled fans have gotten snotty with every other position L&L has tried to take. If somebody is going to be upset no matter what you do…do what makes sense for you.

Snotty fans? Just because someone reminds L&L of their promised timelines?

If I gave L&L’s timeline responses to my boss, I’d have lost my job a long time ago; so forgive me for showing no empathy towards L&L — all they have done is to stop making further promises.

So no — that has nothing to do with being snotty. But your post certainly is.

I was referring to the ones who decided that they knew how to run a small software development business better than KB based on zero personal experience in actually being a software developer, let alone writing best-selling apps, let alone running a business.

And the ones who made threats and personal attacks.

And the ones who claimed there was no communication about progress on the beta while ignoring the beta forums.

People have a right to be upset at the timeline. But there are productive ways to express that upset, and ways that just turn one into being a jerk. And for the record, it was the latter that I was referring to.

This is true. We are stating our official policy, not inviting (further) debate.

There will be no further announcements of potential release dates. Progress reports for the beta can be found in the beta forum.

Katherine

instagram.com/rexiecat/

Seems there’s one or two testy, juvenile, kranky persons on both sides of this discussion.

L&L have said it will be in 2020 and other than that will not make comment.

Nothing much more needs to be said.

I know some will say ‘I have a right to bitch on about the delay’, others will say ‘I have a right to bitch about them bitching.’

I say I’m sick of it. We all know everyone’s opinion. Don’t need to hear it every day between now and release.

One other thing I need to say, thanks Keith and all the L&L team for working so hard on this and still managing to maintain a semblance of sanity and humour.

‘Shrugs shoulders and wanders off to do something productive.’

Me too.

instagram.com/rexiecat/

Amber, sorry for the slow response, but hoildays and a clumsy oopsie delayed it. I am glad to hear the project is coming along niced and I am glad to have seen the Nov 28 update.

Despite my complaints in forum you have provided and despite the fact I’ve been supportive of L&L even when I’ve voiced them, I don’t appreciate the unproffessional bits in your response to me, especially at the end.

I never made any attack on your or L&L and I don’t believe I’ve ever had an unreal or inapprorpiate expectation from you or L&L.

But you and some other users here, really do make me feel the “The Enemy”. So on that note I apologize to you and L&L if you/they feel I have insulted, belittled or otherwise negatively and unfairly characterized the project. I do mean that sincerely.

And I have read between the lines and can “hear the data” from your post there and you’ve made it clear you don’t want me as a customer. That’s fine, so I’ll take my leave of your forums and product. You don’t need to waste time with a reponse to me.

Please feel free to have this account deleted/banned/disabled to ensure it isn’t ever compromised in my absence.

I wish you y’all only the best.

This is my first post - Hello! - so why not post it on the battlefield?
Point 1. Use Scrivener to write (v 1.9 Windows). Does that fine. So no complaints.
Point 2. Use iPad, iPhone and Windows PC. Like the old colours and 3d Label backgrounds, so the ‘new, clean, up-to-date’ Apple look does nothing for me. Been through horrible green IBM monitors, white text on black, amber text on black (nice), CGA and a host of nasty TV monitors. When they came out with a word processor with black text on white (like yer actual paper) - loved it. So Dark Mode? No way! Looks like Windows 2 on a CGA screen. Not so new, then.
Point 3. I like the V3 for Windows - lots of features that I might find useful (but, please, fix that default compilation screen!).
Point 4. Nice cat.
Time to get back to the writing.

I have been using Scrivener for years as well. My favorite tool but starting to show it’s age. I do keep checking back often and am kind of surprised that it’s not out yet but the previous version still does the job. I can understand people’s frustration though. These guys don’t seem like a big company so I will cut them some slack. It seems like they just want it to be a totally bug-free experience when it does release, especially if people have to pay for the upgrade like myself. I don’t expect it until the end of January now. I haven’t used the Beta at all. Might give that a try.