Trouble selecting text using trackpad

mc
mcd

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:04 pm Post

I'm having trouble selecting text with my trackpad in Scrivener 3.1.4, on a 1.3 GHz MacBook Air running Sierra. The trackpad doesn't seem to give me trouble selecting text in other programs, only in Scrivener. I think it's calculating something about my selection and this is somehow slowing the process down enough that the selection ends up wrong. If anything is selected at all as a result of my gesture, usually it's fewer characters than I wanted on both ends, but sometimes there's an extra character at the end instead. I didn't think too much of it until someone reported a similar bug in the NaNoWriMo forums.

Selecting by double-clicking is more successful, but not always a solution. Restarting Scrivener hasn't helped. I'm hoping there's something I can turn off to improve the situation.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 pm Post

Why not use shift-arrow?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:10 am Post

You might test it in Apple’s TextEdit app which has the same underlying text engine as Scrivener. That would help narrow down the location of the issue.

gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin