Beta Expires Soon

I am new here. Had never posted before. Was just curious. Didnt know it was going to cause a problem. Snotty comments are not necessary for someone asking a question.

Waste of time commenting on the new posters asking about the beta expiry. It will always happen.

Bit like the 2000 address group email when idiots go Reply All with some dumb comment. No matter how many times you say ‘Don’t Reply All’ 10 or 20 idiots do!

At least they are only killing electrons, not trees.

Calling people idiots isnt necessary. I asked a question. I got disrespectful, unhelpful answers. I was new here. I was just curious. Call me an idiot, that’s fine. This idiots reporting all comments to the forum admin. Delete the comments. I’m screen shotting them as well!

Well since you’re new here I’ll throw you a bone. It’s considered polite in a help forum to use the search before asking a question. That’s why you’re getting so many ‘snotty’ answers.

Also, I would like to point out that, my answer told you everything you needed to know. So no, not all the answers were unhelpful.

Ahem.

It was a simple question. While yes, it would be helpful if people would search for answers, it has taken longer to gripe about this one than it would have to just answer (or ignore) it and move on. Please find some other way to entertain yourselves.

Jamoore87, welcome to the forums. I’m sorry you appear to have rubbed some of our guests the wrong way. No, as you deduced, they do not represent L&L – I’m the only participant in this thread (so far) who does.

Katherine

In any Internet community that you are a new part of, it is a good course of action to spend some time reading and/or searching before you post a question, to see if it is a common question that has already been answered. The forums here have a wonderful search function that should help you if you decide to post future questions. Glad to have you here.

Please may I suggest that the devs do a “sticky” post at the top of the forum called “what happens when the current beta expires?”, which would save people the (very understandable) anxiety and save us all from the regular reappearance of this topic?

I didn’t call you an idiot, I called the people who reply all idiots.

I said it was a waste of time commenting on new posters who ask, because that will always happen, just a fact of life.

If they don’t take the time to read the current list of topics and see that there are 15 threads already asking that, why should we expect them to read a sticky post?

The info on how to download the current beta is in a sticky post and we still get questions on that every week…

A suggestion. To those of you who pile into every one of these threads (and it’s the same ones every time): draft a standard response explaining the beta process. Two lines will do. Post it if you feel the need to respond.

Not only will it save you the time required to draft the unhelpful comments, it will help preserve this forum’s reputation for civility and helpfulness.

Fair points, but it might catch the eyes of a few people. And, tbh, the “sticky” information about how to download the latest beta is a bit easy to miss because it’s separated from the rest of the forum (under “Announements”) and always shows the date that the very first beta was posted (Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:22 pm ), which makes it look as if it’s old information.

What I was suggesting was the first post in the forum itself could highlight the info, ideally in such a way that it would automatically appear at the top of the list of posts. I don’t imagine it will entirely solve the problem, but it might simplify everyone’s lives a little bit.

It sits at the top of the ”Beta testing” part of the forum. Isn’t that the natural place?

Any tentative date about the official release?
Thank you

HI mariani,

As per this blog post, L&L will no longer be providing tentative release dates.

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/blog/scrivener-3-for-windows-further-delays

“We’re not going to give another release date until everything is fixed and working properly.” <

Your best way of tracking progress is by following the change list for each new beta release, here: [url]Scrivener 3.0 Beta - Release Candidate 10 (Download Links & Change List)]

Best,
Jim

Maybe a moderator should post a (hopefully short) set of FAQs about the Beta in the announcements section?

The two most common questions seem to be:

1. When’s the release date?
    and
  2. The current Beta expires in days.

And the answers, of course, can be as simple as

1. L&L doesn’t do release dates; the software will be released when it’s ready.

and

1. We’ve not missed a Beta expiration date yet; we don’t expect to miss it this time.

And, of course, some people still won’t read them, but we could, you know, refer to it by reference in reply and skip all the insults, including the implied onces.

If October 31 rolls around and midnight is approaching, open Scrivener and keep it open. It should be OK the next day. You should be able to finagle your computer’s date, as well, but I don’t know if they closed that loophole. :slight_smile:

Or just download the latest beta; even simpler! :wink:

Welcome to the forum.

Normally once the beta expires a new once it’s published, unless version 3 is published (fingers crossed). The coders are still working on Version 3 for Windows and it seems the release version’s still some time away, so most probably you will be able to download a new beta. Don’t forget to inform in the proper sections of the forum on any issues, suggestions or doubts you might have.

Quick edit: the beta itself has informed me that a new version is available and it’s currently downloading and upgrading itself!!! Next expire is Nov 15.

That works, too! No exploits or time traveling needed!

I would not recommend anyone changing the PC time as you might hit unexpected behavior. Scrivener relies heavily on file dates for syncing and latest version file detection based on time. For example in case of multiple *.scrivx files within the project folder(in case of a faulty syncing with a cloud sharing service) Scrivener might choose to load the newest *.scrivx file within your project folder, If you move the clock backwards, you might end up with an unexpected Binder structure upon restart, Although it might work in some cases, I cannot promise that Scrivener will work flawlessly in all cases after a PC date/time move backwards. Especially we know that it might cause license server verification issues in v1.9.X and in v3 once licensing is enabled.