WIndows 3 Release: My Thoughts

My thoughts on downloading yet another Beta after being promised, and paying for, a program.

You need to make the Windows side as equally and justifiably important to you and your company as the Mac side of the operation is. You haven’t, and thus you don’t have a product to sell, only a promise. Some might call this fraud, as it certainly borders on it.

Good luck. I’m still waiting.

The have twice as many developers working on the Windows version as they do on the Mac version. If that’s not commitment enough, what is?

They have a product to sell … v. 1.9. That’s what you’ve paid for and plenty of people have produced books using it. They haven’t sold you the upgrade, you could be using the v. 3 Betas without having purchased 1.9.

Mark

Xiam: Commitment would be demonstrated by getting me what I paid for. A useful product that isn’t a beta but a finished product, which is what I have paid for.

Mark: I am using the Beta, and when finding a glitch, turning over the information. Still, a finished product with the stability of WordPerfect or MSWord would be a Godsend.

Anything else? Fine. I’ll go back to writing.

You paid for Windows Scrivener 1.9. The Windows Scrivener 3 beta is currently free.

Katherine

No, you have not.

You have that. It’s version 1.9.

And before you complain that 1.9 isn’t the beta and isn’t a finished product, you should know that a) perfectly good published novels and other works have been produced with 1.9, and b) software is never really “finished.”

Many people bought the product on the promise of having a program on par with the Mac version in the near future. 2 years later, after the August 30th fiasco, you have release further IPADos (IOS) and Macos upgrades, promised that the Windows version would be a matter of week not months (two months already) and your new spiel is that you will release the new version when it’s ready. In the meanwhile anyone who’s bought the version in let’s sai mid-August have lost the lost the return window.

Of course 1.9 it’s a functional program. So it’s Photoshop 1.0. Try to imagine if Adobe decided that version 1.0 was good enough for Windows users while they kept rolling updates to their Mac users at a marginal lesser price…

Ah. You probably need to do a little bit more research, because you seem to be confused on this point.

Quoting from the Scrivener page:

So they are offering free upgrades to the final release version for any Scrivener for Windows user who bought a license in a 26+ month window. That’s pretty damn generous.

I meant that someone that bought the program before August 30th believing the hype that V3 would be release on that day or in a matter of weeks cannot request a reimbursement because the time frame of 30 days have gone pass.

I consider that version 3 is vaporware.

No.

Vaporware doesn’t exist as beta-versions. You are simply wrong.

If somebody bought the program before August 30th of this year, they’re covered for a free upgrade. If somebody bought the program in 2017, they bought a license for 1.9, which they’ve been able to use for those two years. As stated previously, 1.9 is a fully-functional program. You can write books with it and everything!

You can consider it whatever you want, but that doesn’t make you right. Vaporware is things like flying cars.

From the website:
“Disclaimer: Please make your decision to buy based on the current version of Scrivener (Scrivener 1 for Windows). This offer is a bonus for new users. We can make no guarantees on when Scrivener 3 for Windows will be available (we only release software when we are confident it is stable and the best it can be), and buyers of Scrivener 1 for Windows will not be eligible for a refund in the unlikely event that something happens to prevent Scrivener 3’s release.”

Now if you decided that that disclaimer wasn’t for you, and purchased it regardless, that is on you. You bought a perfectly good piece of software that doesn’t just work, but work well. Photoshop 1 isn’t up to par in today’s digital world, and its competitors would swallow it whole. Scrivener 1.9 can decidedly go up against any of its current competitors.

Also, to the vaporware comment: You have no idea what vaporware is. I get that you are frustrated, but that’s just nonsense.

Nothing more to say here. That you decide to clip a definition ad hoc thinking that the other part would not copy and paste a dictionary definition… I insist: until the moment anyone can buy, download and use Scrivener Version 3 for Windows, a product on par with the Mac version as announced almost 3 years ago, such product it’s still vaporware, no matter how many months the free upgrade will ever span, no matter how many partially functional demos and betas the company releases.

I’m glad that Scrivener fulfils your needs to such a degree that you feel compelled to defend the with a zealotry worthy of religious sites when discussing dogmas but, all caveat considered, and nobody denies that V1.9.x has not equal in windows, the company has yet to produced the promised product. And it had to accept that many people bought the product thinking that soon would enjoy the same ring and bells that the Mac counterpart. And, that caveats and legalese aside, announcements like August 30th and the it’s a matter of weeks not months, among many others, led many to buy the product expecting a parity that probably will not take place ever.

Sorry, mate, haven’t you been on the Internet long enough to know that the first person to drag a dictionary into a discussion is inevitably the loser?

Been around the web sometime. Never heard that. Do you invent them as you see fit? Or are you trying to steer this post offtopic enough to provide the admins a reason to close it?

This is turning into an insult contest.

Win V3 is not vapourware, it’s available to download and IMHO damned close to release. It will never be exactly the same as the Mac version and L&L stated that due to differences in the two operating systems, however it will be ‘equivalent’ and they share files.

They expected to release around Aug 30 but reality got in the way. For that they apologised. Getting all snarky and insulting all and sundry isn’t going to make it arrive any quicker. You have access to a fully functional program in 1.9 to tide you over, or can use V3 beta and output quality work.

You’ve made your point over and over and over. The horse is well and truly dead and flayed of all its hide.

Sometimes I wonder if the complainers really care about the release of Scriv 3, or if they only use this as an excuse to complain and vent their general frustration with life. You can see this in many forums on the net. New users who only post a few angry posts and then disappear.

1. I think I’ve not insulted but stated the obvious. Please accept my apologies if you’ve felt insulted by anything I’ve written.
  2. Having to download an .exe every few weeks it’s now being released. See what I said before.
  3. 1.9 it’s a product marginally cheaper but greatly lacking when compared to Mac’s v3. Windows dimes are as good as Mac’s- Products should be something similar and by golly after almost three years they’ve had time enough to deliver. I don’t think nobody does is harmed by venting their impatience… a way to remind the good people of Literature and Latte that they made a promise.
  4. Perhaps old timers use this to vent their angst on new users that somehow feel that L&L are not being totally there. New users that watch videos online and see all the nice things that V3 has in other platforms. At this pace even Android users will have a more advanced app quite soon and we Windows users will still be bickering back and forward about the imminent release of Version 3.