Trouble with Scrivener on iPhone

I realise this is frustrating in the extreme, however issues such as this that impact a (statistically) small number of users can be damned difficult to track down and then fix.

Even Apple who own the hardware and OS can take several months to resolve bugs of this nature. Irate customers and Apple going back saying they are still trying to recreate and understand the issue. Once understood, a fix has to be developed then thoroughly tested to ensure it has no other unintended consequences.

As Scrivener was working fine before the latest iOS updates I’m guessing Keith is scrutinising code to see if the issue is Apple’s (and providing them feedback) or from the changes to make Scrivener compatible with the latest update.

Switching to dark mode worked for me. It reverted to the old project UI where everything seems to work correctly.

I got it to work by switching to dark mode too now; had to restart my phone twice after switching to dark mode then it reverted back to the old Scrivener.

Switched to dark mode, restarted the app, and it reverted to the old interface and worked fine.

When in light mode the interface is icon-based, like boxes for each project, and unresponsive other than the ability to create new (unresponsive) projects, rename projects, and sync everything with Dropbox.

Now I understand why was working last night but not this morning!

Why not set the interface so that it’s the same for dark and light mode until the light mode version can be fixed?

Dark Mode workaround: tried and failed.
Switched to Dark Mode, restarted twice, deleted and re-installed program.
Hit the Sync button and the program dumps to the Home screen, though the program still comes up as active in the background.

IPhone 11 Pro
iOS 13.1.2

I am also having this problem.
I turned on Dark Mode on the phone as soon as it updated and I was already using dark mode within the Scrivener app,

I tried creating a new folder in Dropbox, created a new project on the phone in the new folder, synced no problem.

Then I tried adding my scrivener files from the original folder to the new folder and it went back to closing Scrivener after about 30 seconds of attempting to sync.

Very eager for a solution to this problem.

I had the same problem on my iPhone 7+ after upgrading to 13.1.2. I got it working by going from Dark mode to Light and restarting Scrivener on the iPhone. Then the non-responsive project icons returned to the list option and I’m able to access the projects.

Some additional poking around with the settings gives these results:

Iphone = Dark Mode, Scrivener = Dark Mode - Scrivener works as expected for both local and synced projects
iphone = Dark Mode, Scrivener = Light Mode - Non-responsive project icons
iphone = Light Mode, Scrivener = Dark Mode - Non-responsive project icons
iphone = Light Mode, Scrivener = Light Mode - Scrivener works as expected for both local and synced projects

Hope that helps

Richard
Mac, Windows and iOS

Alright, tried the light/dark mode switcheroo::

Iphone = Dark Mode, Scrivener = Dark Mode - Start sync, program window drops out (as before) to home screen - but program is still live

iphone = Light Mode, Scrivener = Light Mode – Start sync, program window drops out (as before) to home screen - but program is still live

IPhone 11 Pro
iOS 13.1.2

This is not the case for me. After switching my phone settings back to Light Mode, I immediately saw what people were referring to inside Scrivener. The interface changed drastically. (Dark Mode.) I had to put my phone back in Dark Mode and reopen Scrivener in Dark Mode so i could change it to Light Mode and then do the same for the phone.

The interface changed back to what I was used to, but I still could not sync without Scrivener crashing to the background.

I tried swapping back to Dark / Dark, but this resulted in the same problem.

iPhone Xs
iOS: 13.1.2

adding another “me too” to this thread - tried all of the suggestions.

Waiting…

I take it that “Astaff” is a member of the L&L team. There are now 11 people that have complained about this total lack of functionality, spreading over a month. I don’t know how many people in total use this platform, or how many have encountered the problem and don’t know how or where to complain, but that is now significant. It’s not a single person glitch, it’s an endemic problem.

And there has been no answer. No acknowledgement of a fault. No suggested (from the developers) work arounds. No timeline on remediation. No requests for further input. No distribution of “debug” versions of the app to faciitate debugging.

This is far from acceptable.

Astaff is not a member of the L&L team, merely someone with extensive support experience in the Apple eco.

I speak from my own experience with both Apple and L&L support and make no pretence to having any inside knowledge of L&L’s process. 11 is a statistically minute percentage of iOS Scrivener users though don’t know if others have the issue and have not posted.

I find Dark Mode must match on iOS and MacOS, then projects can be read. It is inconsistent, though.

I’m also having this issue. Everything i have is set to dark mode. I’ve unlinked and reminded Dropbox. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled scrivener OS. Doesn’t matter everytime i try to sync it crashes.

Had this happen to me a few times. I end up deleting/reinstalling and resyncing to fix it.

I notice the UI is weird when this happens. Large project icons instead of a list. I can create a new project but that’s it. Can’t open any projects, not even the one I created.

There’s some more information in this thread:
[url]https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/unable-to-open-any-project-on-iphone/47626/1]

If you would like an official response from the L&L team, please open a support ticket, here:
literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Katherine

Went to the other thread.
Set everything to light mode and restart phone as suggested.
Sync failed as usual. App screen quits, but program still alive when app switching.
Going into the fourth week now.
The suck continues.

IPhone 11 Pro
iOS 13.1.2

I’ve had the same issue, but switching the iPhone from Automatic to Dark Mode at all times, and Scrivener from System Default to Dark fixes the problem. I tend to use Scrivener on the Dark setting no matter what, but it seems if it doesn’t match the iPhone’s current mode, then it screws up for me.

There is a temporary fix for this weirdness: rotate your iPhone to Landscape mode, then turn back to Portrait mode. Ta-da! Now it works: your projects are tappable for now. Repeat these magic moves every time when it happens to you :mrgreen: