(Beta 25) - editing to add any character/word in editor overwrites succeeding characters/words.

If I try to add a word or character between an already present text, it keeps overwriting the subsequent character present in the sentence sequence, rather than moving the subsequent characters and adding the new characters between the words and characters present (as is the basic function of any word editor). This is a new bug that has cropped up with the Beta 25 update and completely breaks the editing process.

I recommend looking into it on an URGENT basis as it breaks the software completely and makes it unusable.

Toggle the Insert key. This is a new fix in the new build.

Thanks! That solved it. Was this documented somewhere and I missed it?

This was a bug reported in Beta 24(Insert key does not toggle the overwrite mode) and fixed in Beta 25. If you do not need the overwrite mode at all, you can completely disable it in the Options and always work in insert style mode no matter of the Insert key pressed state.

Upon installing Beta 25 and opening my project, I was automatically in overwrite mode. I have no Insert key on my keyboard, and was at a loss to figure out how to turn it off. Thinking somehow I had accidentally toggled it on somehow, I double checked in gmail and Word and confirmed those programs still were in insert style mode.

It seems as though the default setting of the new build is to have overwrite mode toggled ON. This can create a problem for someone like me with no Insert key. I had to go into Options as detailed above and turn overwrite off entirely.

Might want to set the next build to default overwrite = OFF.

Edit: The post above appeared as I was writing my own version of the same problem.

After I downloaded and installed Beta 25 (after uninstalling Beta 24), I discovered that the editor had changed to overwrite mode rather than insert. I found this thread and tried to follow the suggestion of using the Insert key to toggle this behavior and discovered three things: 1) My laptop does not have an Insert key. 2) Text processing tasks in other apps had not changed to Overwrite. 3) Text boxes within scrivener were still in Insert mode, it was only the editor that was in overwrite mode.

I found the Option to disable the use of the insert key in the Editor options and this did the trick for me as far as turning off overwrite mode. I don’t understand why the editor would default to overwrite in the first place and wonder if this might be unintended. I see this as a potential problem for other users as I know mine isn’t the only modern laptop that doesn’t have an insert key.

Gina

Same here. I have a laptop where there’s an insert key but getting the default behavior of inserting words would require holding down Fn+DEL (to activate insert) while I write. I also suggest it’s either of or maybe the default behavior/state of the key is incorrect. On my kind of laptop (Surface Book 2) I would expect that if I hold insert down, then I would activate overwriting (the less common feature). Currently it’s the opposite and normal working is difficult. (Before I switched off this feature in options)

I have tried every combination to try and toggle my insert key and it’s not working. I’m on a Windows 10 HP computer and my ins key is on the 0 key of the num key pad. I’ve tried fn/ins I’ve tried ctrl/ins, shift/ins, alt/ins shift/alt/ins ctrl/shift/ins, ctrl/alt/ins., ctrl/shift/alt/ins

basically every combo and I cannot get it to toggle out of overwrite mode. If anyone has any suggestions for me that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

This is bugging me too. This overwrite mode startled me, and I experienced five seconds of terror, not knowing what’s going on. I have never ever used the insert key in my life, and mind you, I’ve been working with computers for over 35 years. :mrgreen:

Then I read @tiho_d’s post and realized this key exists. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Fortunately for me, I have it on my keyboard, :mrgreen: but I can understand the pain of those who don’t.

Update: I missed the commenter above mentioning the disabling of the use insert key option in Editor options. That has worked.

For those who are looking for the option, it can be found under:

Options —> Editing —> [b]Options /b —> Use the Insert key to control overtype mode (checkbox)

Regards,
M

In all other applications where text can be edited, the keyboard is always in Insert mode. As of Beta 25, Scrivener defaults to Overwrite mode when it starts up. Setting the keyboard to Insert mode in one project does not carry over to another project when it is opened in the same session. It will always open with Overwrite as the default mode. The default mode should be Insert. Hitting the Insert button, if we have one, is a nuisance since we’ll never remember because it only needs to be done in Scrivener. It would be great if you would flip that switch.

I haven’t noticed but you are right. And that’s a colossal annoyance. I know of no other Windows software where overwrite is the default mode.

We need this fixed.

Regards,
M

Totally agreed.

I genuinely thought this was another bug. Tried looking for the insert key on my surface book. Realised I don’t have it. Got annoyed and started working in MS Word instead.

Sorry, TiHo, but yes, this definitely should not be the default setting.

Agreed. I love Scrivener and have noticed bugs here and there which are reported, but this is the first feature where I’m like a bad meme NOOOO.

I know how to use the Insert key just fine and this STILL freaked me out both times it happened. lol.

Every other app starts with Insert mode ON rather than Overwrite mode. Scrivener is already unique and special and fantastic and the odd one out. It doesn’t need to do random opposites to be fancy. You’re good enough.

Thanks for the feedback guys. We will flip the Insert key functionality so that you always start in insert(not overwrite mode) as it was previously. Hope you can live with the current state until we release the new Beta some time next week, or simply use the Options to turn it off completely.

Many thanks for the speedy response; I’ve disabled it for now and am happy the default will be flipped for the next beta.

Thank you,
M

Use Krastev’s advice here, and you won’t have to be bothered on any project, until this is otherwise remedied.

There’s a release due end of month, and perhaps it will get a mini-release before that. Time for calm.

[and yes, I missed Tiho’s promise for earlier, and Krastev’s reply, a little above on a second page, but I guess this can still help for someone jumping in a the end as you can with forum…]

So playing with this, I realized it’s always starting in overwrite mode. Either it should start in insert mode or it should remember the last state it was in. I’d prefer it always start in insert mode.