No images in Scrivenings mode? Seems a bit archaic.

User avatar
Jack Daniel
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:54 pm
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:05 pm Post

Scrivener recommends placing all images in the research folder and then invoking them with a code in the text in Scriv mode.

It works, and it makes sense to a degree. For instance, I have a small graphic at the head of every chapter, and this allows me to have the image stored in the file one time, then displayed multiple times, which keeps the file size down by reducing redundant instances.

That's all well and good. I assume the compiler sees the code and says to itself 'Oh, the author would like this image placed here. Let me just go find that in the research folder and place a copy in the compiled text.'

Well done, Scrivener.

But why can't the Editor also be that smart in Scrivenings mode? Why can't it say 'Oh, the author would like this image placed here. Let me just go find that in the research folder and place a copy directly in the Editor just below the code. That way the code can be changed if necessary, but the author can see how it will appear, generally speaking'.

The single advantage iBooks Author has over Scrivener? It is completely WYSIWYG. Not to mention that it has a one-button instant preview function.

Not being able to see the actual image in Scriv mode feels like something from the previous century. Sometimes it takes 5 edits to get the image size correct, which means 5 compiles (2 … 3 … 4), each followed by opening the compiled doc in an epub/mobi reader, and scrolling to where the image is, 5 times. That's 10 minutes in which I could be, should be, writing.

Online
User avatar
lunk
Posts: 4249
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm
Platform: Mac + iOS
Location: Sweden 64° N

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:33 pm Post

Jack Daniel wrote:The single advantage iBooks Author has over Scrivener? It is completely WYSIWYG. Not to mention that it has a one-button instant preview function.

Not being able to see the actual image in Scriv mode feels like something from the previous century. Sometimes it takes 5 edits to get the image size correct, which means 5 compiles (2 … 3 … 4), each followed by opening the compiled doc in an epub/mobi reader, and scrolling to where the image is, 5 times. That's 10 minutes in which I could be, should be, writing.

Well, the whole idea behind Scrivener is that it is NOT wysiwyg, so criticizing Scrivener for this simply means that you are using the wrong tool. If wysiwyg is important for you, you should be using a wysiwyg desktop publishing software.

Use Scrivener for what it is designed for, that is writing, and use another software for the final layout.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, running different OS.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

User avatar
rdale
Posts: 2072
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:35 pm Post

You can do what you want, I believe. Use the menu Insert->Image Linked to Document*, and it should put a view of your image in the document where your cursor was, but behind the scenes, it's just a link to that image from your Research (or wherever) folder.

Since I don't work much with this feature, I can't really give you any further help, but with that menu item's name in mind, a search of the manual should explain its utility in detail.

* Or maybe it's one of the other options right next to that one? Not sure.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

User avatar
Jack Daniel
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:54 pm
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:39 am Post

lunk wrote:Well, the whole idea behind Scrivener is that it is NOT wysiwyg, so criticizing Scrivener for this simply means that you are using the wrong tool. If wysiwyg is important for you, you should be using a wysiwyg desktop publishing software.

Use Scrivener for what it is designed for, that is writing, and use another software for the final layout.


Oh thanks so much for telling me, what I, should do. I don't need the attitude, and neither does anyone else here. I'll thank you to NEVER respond to any of my posts ever again.

What arrogance. What ego. How would you even imagine that non-WSYWIG was a goal of L&L? "Oh, let's build a platform but let's be sure not to make it too intuitive". You pulled that from where the sun don't shine, and you have no earthly idea, other than whatever is in your imagination.

I paid the freight, so I'll use the software any way I see fit. Your opinions are very not welcome. About the best thing I could say is that your user name was well-chosen. Butt out.

User avatar
devinganger
Posts: 2201
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:55 pm
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS
Location: Monroe, WA 98272 (CN97au)
Contact:

Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:06 am Post

Jack Daniel wrote:How would you even imagine that non-WSYWIG was a goal of L&L? "Oh, let's build a platform but let's be sure not to make it too intuitive". You pulled that from where the sun don't shine, and you have no earthly idea, other than whatever is in your imagination.


Um, Jack?

Lunk got that idea because L&L have stated it themselves multiple times:

Katherine on the support team, just this past Tuesday:
Note, however, that Scrivener is not a WYSIWYG editor. Page View will give you the best estimate that Scrivener has, but that doesn't mean it will match the compiled output exactly. Depending on your requirements, you may need to use another tool for final formatting.


KB (the designer and developer), four years ago:
Scrivener is a rich text editor, but it's not a WYSIWYG editor at all.


And three years before that in 2012.

Even as far back as 2008 KB was warning people Scrivener would likely never be the WYSIWYG editor they wanted.

Maybe, perhaps, you might have over-reacted? Lunk is actually a very helpful soul and he is trying to help you understand the philosophy behind the design of Scrivener so that you can get the most out of it.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

User avatar
kewms
Posts: 6594
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:22 pm
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:36 am Post

Scrivener 3 Manual, Part 1, Chapter 1, "Philosophy." Third paragraph.

In this sense, Scrivener is the opposite of a word processor, because Scrivener’s focus is on how you put together a long document rather than on how it is presented.


Please also remember that there is exactly one forum rule: Be polite.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=40997

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team