unable to verify your activation for more then two months

@sheima90: The true problem is reported with the message: “Could not open pipe.”. To fix this make sure you restart or shutdown your computer(not Sleep, or Hibernate) and try again. If it still gives the same error, restart the computer, but this time try running Scrivener with Admin rights(right click Run as Administrator). If you still get the 3 months license prompt, please contact L&L support with the last log file generated on your system as an Administrator.

@sheima90: After a second look at your log, I have a better understanding of the problem on your machine. I believe you have a relatively slow computer. This caused the first “Could not open pipe.” error. It would be great if you could confirm your PC technical specs and your OS version. The second problem is that actually Scrivener does not detect reliably your Internet connection. May I suggest trying the following:

1. Restart your computer.
  2. Navigate into the Scrivener installation folder and Paddle subfolder and double-click Paddle.exe. The file location by default is: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\paddle\Paddle.exe”. You might see a quick window appear and disappear. This is expected. We only want to speed up starting of the application Paddle.exe when we launch Scrivener.
  3. Start ScrivenerLog.bat as usual and check the logs. The “Could not open pipe.” message should be gone.

If nothing here helps, you can always deactivate and activate again with your license code, which is inconvenient obviously.

Hi,
I’m a desperate French user :slight_smile:
Same problem here, the update fixed the activation problem til this morning but now it’s back.
I don’t understand the following instructions : “Start ScrivenerLog.bat as an Admin (right click and Run as Administrator) and upload them in this thread, Copy paste the console output or upload the last log file from within the “log” subfolder.”
Can’t even locate ScrivenerLog.bat :frowning:
Thank You

Thank you very much for your help. Yesterday I deactivated and reactivated the license and it has not shown me the message, anyway here are the technical specifications of my PC:

-Windows 10 Home version 1903 64btis
-processor: AMD athlon™ II x2 250 3.00 GHz
-RAM: 4,00 GB

@MarionB: ScrivenerLog.bat is usually within the Scrivener installation folder. By default Scrivener is installed under: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener”
If you still cannot follow my instructions, please contact L&L support and they will help you further.

Thanks tiho_d - that seems to have worked for me. Will advise if it starts again.

Got the same message today! Who has time for this craziness?

Me too. On one of two computers.

Still ongoing, now with the three-of-six month message:
ScrivenerError3months.png

I shut off my antivirus/firewall (Avast) just in case, even though it should be letting it through. I then ran Paddle.exe, then as admin ran ScrivenerLog.bat, which gave the following:

<–snip: loading a ton of fonts and my active project–>

I am running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit with .Net Framework 4.8; processor is an Intel i3-2370M at 2.40GHz and I have 4GB RAM. My laptop is a bit elderly and sometimes runs quite slow. I am definitely connected to the Internet since I am posting from said laptop. :wink: Happy to provide any other system information that you need.

I have a publishing deadline at the beginning of December and cannot afford to risk deactivating Scrivener and being unable to reactivate: I have become over-reliant on Scrivener’s internal structure to manage my work and while I am certainly able to recover my files without Scrivener, it would take far too long to reorganise them while still finishing my book! Luckily for me the critical deadline is still within the remaining three-month window and I should be able to ignore the message, finish the book, then attempt to deal with the problem.

Any ideas that don’t involve deactivation would be most welcome!

Of note: I also have a gaming computer, also running Windows 7. I could attempt to install Scrivener on that, activate it, and see if it works: if so, I’ll at least have one machine functional even if it’s a very suboptimal one - and if not, I’ll at least be able to use it as a testbed without running the risk of destroying the installation I need to be using.

But for now, back to work!

I’m in the same boat as you. Scrivener’s still borked and I have a book I’m close to finishing. I thought the issue had resolved itself after the last update concerning Paddle. Apparently not…

Unfortunately the last fix, as others have reported, still didn’t solve the issue (although considering how long this has been going on, I’m not surprised). Here’s part of my Win 7 laptop log:

First, it loads a bunch of fonts:
Debug: Loading Font: “C:\Windows\Fonts\upcil.ttf”
Debug: Loading Font: “C:\Windows\Fonts\upcdb.ttf”

The program “ignores” a couple of crashed fonts.Then there are many of these error messages:
Debug: No PostScript name for family: “Courier”
Debug: No PostScript name for family: “Modern”

Then it attempts to load the project, followed by 2 documents (even though I’m guessing there are dozens). That’s when the software hangs. Sometimes no further debug messages are generated. But in other cases, this one appears
continuously until I kill the program:

Warning: QSettings: RegEnumValue failed:

I tried deleting NTYwODA4.padl as suggested, then rebooting. This time new info was in the log:

Debug: License server started.
Debug: Starting communication.
Debug: Could not open pipe. Last Error: 2
Debug: Communication disabled.
Debug: Starting communication.
Debug: Could not open pipe. Last Error: 2
Debug: Communication disabled.
Warning: QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
Warning: QWinEventNotifier: event notifiers cannot be disabled from another thread
Warning: QObject::killTimer: timers cannot be stopped from another thread
Warning: QObject::killTimers: timers cannot be stopped from another thread

After deleting NTYwODA4.spadl, I rebooted yet again. Same error messages as above.

After a couple of reboots I’m able to at least run the software, but I get the registration error pop-up:

scriv3.jpg

Will the actual fix be in before the software reverts in 3 months? At this point, I highly doubt it. Looking forward to my free copy of version 3! Those of us dealing with this nonsense should be compensated.

Adding my name to the hat, I’ve had the same issue, even after the update. I’m not super technically proficient though so most of these steps are making me go cross-eyed!

Yep, just got the message myself this morning. I’ve just submitted a request to support for completeness.

After working well for several days I am also getting the new 3/6 month message. It just started tonight.

Having the same error message, except that it now says 3 months. Scrivener is permitted through my firewall. And it is lagging to a frustrating degree.

This is really annoying, I thought the new version had fixed this bug. I too am getting the ‘License Engine broken connection’ error message again.

Please fix this!

Adding my name to the list of the people this is happening to. It was working fine after the update that fixed the original issue, then yesterday I started receiving the 3/6 month message. I’m running Windows 10 and my .Net framework is up to date. I don’t have the skills to run all the stuff mentioned earlier in this thread and don’t want to risk messing up my computer trying to fix it.

I’ve been a Scrivener for Windows user since the very first version was released for Windows and have encouraged quite a few people over the years to use this software. I’m frustrated that this is now happening and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. I use this software every single day with quite a few projects going at any one time and I can’t afford to have it stop working or have to deal with this every few weeks or months. When I activate software that I’ve paid for, I expect it to work from that point forward and not have to be reactivated over and over again.

I hope this is going to be fixed again soon and permanently this time.

A little online searching found that it’s kind of a “duh”: in Windows 7, go to the Control Panel, Programs, and then Programs and Features or just Uninstall a program, and scroll down the list of installed programs to Microsoft .NET Framework. Duh.

Another name to add to the list. Can the devs or anyone confirm if this error is the same as the last? Will it compromise my files? If not, I can live with an annoying message until another fix is released.

I’m adding myself to the list of folks with this problem. I was getting the 2/4 months message repeatedly until I installed the update. That seemed to fix the problem. Now, the last few times I’ve restarted Scrivener I’ve gotten the 3/6 months message. I checked my .Net version and it’s correct according to my son. I’m not technically inclined, so I’m hoping for an easy fix soon.