any news on Windows 3 version?

theswede
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:31 pm Post

Astaff wrote:there are a number of companies who use nothing but Mac as servers, with rooms full of them in fact an amber of hosting companies use them exclusively. In my 36+ years in IT (pissing contest) I have and continue to see hundreds of companies outside of creative that use Mac product every day.

MacOS server has a market share of around 0.01%

https://www.datanyze.com/market-share/o ... rket-share

Astaff wrote:The reason why you don’t see Mac OS in ATM’s is a lowest cost and a market Apple have stayed away from.

Which is exactly the point. There are pretty much zero such legacy systems using MacOS (I would say zero, but there may be one or two), which is why Apple can keep making major changes to their platform and break it, without large consequences.

Microsoft have specifically targeted exactly that market, and that is why they can not break their platform.
Jesper Anderson SA5NEO
Computer scientist. Software engineer. Scifi writer. Scuba diver.

As
Astaff

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:56 pm Post

Actually they can break that, simply by announcing on x date we are moving to....

Win 95 is no longer supported but systems are out there running it. The same would be true if they abandon 32 bit. Some legacy systems would remain but the market at large would move on. I am aware of quite a number of PowerPC Mac systems still out there running Leopard.

theswede

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:54 am Post

Astaff wrote:Win 95 is no longer supported but systems are out there running it.

Irrelevant. What is relevant is that Win95 software runs fine on Windows 10, which IS supported.

This is key. In-house, business critical software developed during the last 20 years, often with no current source code available, or with no understanding of requirements or how it was designed, is still running perfectly fine on the most modern OS. And this is what Windows is used for in businesses, large and small. I have spent most of my career developing customer specific applications, and of all the hundreds, if not thousands, of applications I have developed maybe half have been on industrial systems, half on Windows, and one (yes, exactly one) on a Mac. And that was back in the OS6 days.

Windows is used in a completely different manner than MacOS is used. That is why Microsoft neither will nor can remove their backwards compatibility. It would mean the death of Windows.
Jesper Anderson SA5NEO
Computer scientist. Software engineer. Scifi writer. Scuba diver.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:39 am Post

Ahm... excuse me for interrupting this oh so interesting sub-thread about different operating systems in different sectors of society, but...
In what way is this related to the question in the opening post?

Don’t you think you’re debate fits better in some other part of the forum? Although this kind of pissing context can sometimes be fun to read ("Ha! I began developing software in the 1890s, long before I was born, in a time when even buildings seldom had windows and macs were only used in thunder storms!"), don’t you think ’And now for that latte...’ is a better place?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running Mojave.
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 11 Pro, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

As
Astaff

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:01 am Post

Most of my time in IThas been with Win and apart from embedded systems, Windows is used in pretty much the same way as MacOS.

It would not mean the end of Windows. That is the weakest excuse for inaction you’ll ever find.

St
StarDog2
Platform: Windows

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:12 pm Post

lunk wrote:Ahm... excuse me for interrupting this oh so interesting sub-thread about different operating systems in different sectors of society, but...
In what way is this related to the question in the opening post?

Don’t you think you’re debate fits better in some other part of the forum? Although this kind of pissing context can sometimes be fun to read ("Ha! I began developing software in the 1890s, long before I was born, in a time when even buildings seldom had windows and macs were only used in thunder storms!"), don’t you think ’And now for that latte...’ is a better place?

That reminds me of an old programmer's joke:

Three old programmers were sitting around the break-room drinking coffee and comparing war stories.

The first programmer said, "I miss COBOL! It was modular, self-documenting, and a joy to learn with its near English syntax!"

The second, slightly older programmer, puffed on his pipe and said through tobacco-stained teeth, "BAH! Fortran was Da Bomb! It allowed for very precise mathematical formulae."

The third programmer, the oldest of the three, said, "You children! I remember machine language, where you had to keep track of your registers yourself and program directly in a series of ones and zeros!"

Just then, a programmer just days away from retirement, walked into the break room, and said, "You had zeros?"

DavidR
Platform: Windows

Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:53 pm Post

Good one, StarDog2! And I'm with lunk -- let's go back to the original pointless back-and-forth; it was like watching tennis with balls made of dung that the players thought were hand grenades. :D
David
Scrivener for Windows Version 1.9.9
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

What's the difference between a free lance and a loose cannon?

devinganger

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:18 am Post

lunk wrote:In what way is this related to the question in the opening post?

I dropped out of this thread as soon as I realized one of the parties wanted to discuss fiction, not reality.
--
Devin L. Ganger, WA7DLG
Not a L&L employee; opinions are those of my cat
Life has a way of moving you past wants and hopes

As
Astaff

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:30 am Post

Nasty...